Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (on loan - Hertha BSC)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:12 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:Pining for how poor Ozil was losing to the likes of Man City 3-0 at home. He probably should have said Leno for how good he was for keeping the score down
Probably missed us beating City in the fa cup semibfinal as well
Still
When gloom rules after a couple of defeats everything said against the Arsenal must be true

Why do you feel the need to criticise this Starmandb ? The player was asked who was the best player he has played with and he said Ozil, a one time world class attacking midfielder with highest assists in all the leagues he played in during the time he played there, a player with vision very few footballers in the world have ever had, a player who, at his peak, was one of the best players in the world, playing for the biggest club in the world.

Guendouzi would have trained with him every day and seen things we never see, whats so difficult about accepting what Guendouzi has said ? Why do you feel the need to bring up a shit Ozil performance ? Why do you need to harp on about criticism of Arsenal ???

Considering the players Guendouzi has played with so far in his young career, Ozil is probably the best player he has seen week in week out.

Lacazette and aubameyang were better than Ozil in the time guendouzi was here

I don't think Guendouzi is talking or looking at goals and performances. I'm assuming he's talking from a technical standpoint and the trekkers he'd have seen from Ozil on the training ground would have been more impressive. Guendouzi is central midfielder so naturally he's going to gravitate towards similar players that he can learn from. First touch, vision, passing ability...I heard the stories of Ozil always putting spin on the ball in training and that sort of thing will impress most players because it's not something most can do.

Cazorla wasn't always our best or consistent performer but you'd hear other players say he was the best in training.

I could be rather impressive with tricks and flicks when I was not in competitive action
Once other players came into the equation and I had to run about a bit it was a different story
When we start picking up points in training or progressing in cup competitions then It’s validity will carry some weight
However xhaka was a better midfield player in the two seasons that guendouzi was here, as was ceballos last year in actual point gaining, cup progression etc

Ozil's first touch, passing ability, vision and overall technical quality didn't desert him in match conditions. Not a huge fan of Ozil's application during a match and influence, but you're off your rocker if you think there was another player in our camp that matched him technically and by that I mean first touch, vision and passing. If you read what Guendouzi says, that's what he described and he's right when going off that criteria.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:30 pm

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:Pining for how poor Ozil was losing to the likes of Man City 3-0 at home. He probably should have said Leno for how good he was for keeping the score down
Still
When gloom rules after a couple of defeats everything said against the Arsenal must be true

Why do you feel the need to criticise this Starmandb ? The player was asked who was the best player he has played with and he said Ozil, a one time world class attacking midfielder with highest assists in all the leagues he played in during the time he played there, a player with vision very few footballers in the world have ever had, a player who, at his peak, was one of the best players in the world, playing for the biggest club in the world.

Guendouzi would have trained with him every day and seen things we never see, whats so difficult about accepting what Guendouzi has said ? Why do you feel the need to bring up a shit Ozil performance ? Why do you need to harp on about criticism of Arsenal ???

Why would I care what someone who has achieved f**k all In the game thinks.
He has made a pointed remark about a club for whom he still may one day play for.
What he did in training is irrelevant
He certainly did’nt do it in matches like said Man City games in his last few years
Ozil is a very recent departure therefore he is being used as a stick to beat the current crop with
These are the players that can be of use now
I absolutely hate this rose tinted view of our legends never having had a bad day or the team not playing badly and being used against the arsenal of today.when the dust settles I can look back with fondness the good things Ozil achieved but it ain’t helping us today and tomorrow and that is my only real concern
And yes I do think criticism of your team should come with a heavy heart be factually solid and not just relied upon the words of others

Ok, if you wanna go there, lets go there.

1) Its not just what Ozil did in training, as PNG mentioned its his vision on the pitch, his first touch, his passing, technically nobody comes close to Ozil's ability since Wenger left Arsenal, which is when Guendouzi joined. Auba and Laca said that Pepe is the most skillfil player at Arsenal, we rarely see it on the pitch, Pepe has achieved f**k all compared to Ozil, didn't stop those 2 players from naming Pepe though.

2) There are plenty of matches where Ozil DID perform, anyone can dig up a ganme where a player didn't perform, nothing hard there. Sure Messi has a good few to choose from.

3) What beating stick are you talking about ? The man was asked who the best player was he has played with, he said Ozil. Why are you trying to find hidden plots where non exist ??

4) What rose tinted view of our legends ? Ozil isn't an Arsenal legend, nobody that I know has ever said he is a legend. I said that he was the catalyst for us winning trophies again, never ever said he was a legend - because he isn't !!

5) Where is the criticism of the team ???? Again, see point 3, nobody has criticised Arsenal, the player named a player and manager he rates neither of which happen to be at Arsenal anymore3. Why do YOU see that as criticising Arsenal?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:10 pm

I gently back out of this point
I have little to no interest in what players say current or otherwise
I have no interest in how good technically or otherwise Ozil was
He doesn’t live here anymore
Outside of actually watching arsenal
I don’t really follow the minutiae of the club
If I see it on here used against the club I respond
A simple soul i
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Angelito » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:29 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Still

Considering the players Guendouzi has played with so far in his young career, Ozil is probably the best player he has seen week in week out.

There's no point begrudging a youngster for choosing Ozil as the best he's played with. It's just downright ridiculous that someone would have a problem with that. It's also a case where many of these youngsters grew up idolizing Ozil, especially midfielders.

Unlike many more talented players, Ozil was/is a global superstar in football. In the World Cup of 2010, he broke out as the star. Not world class players like Xavi and Iniesta, who were already established names. At Real, he was the 2nd most popular player. At Arsenal, he was our most popular player.

The Ozil vitriol has gotten out of hands. It's like even if you dare praise him, you're some pariah or something.

I'm baffled by the stupidity on show lately. What is happening?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:39 pm

Think we've established that he's not coming back. Hopefully Bertha have £6m sitting around somewhere so we can break even on him and move on.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:09 pm

aniym wrote:Think we've established that he's not coming back. Hopefully Bertha have £6m sitting around somewhere so we can break even on him and move on.

Hertha Berlin is one of the richest clubs in Germany.

Less than 2 years ago, with the help of investor Lars Windhorst, Hertha forked out a combined €110m to bring in Cunha, Piątek, Tousart, Lukebakio, Redan, Löwen, Ascacíbar, Grujić and Wolf.

Even if we consider Guendouzi's contract situation, as well as the pandemic's influence on market value, we should be able to sell him for more than just £6m.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Still

There's no point begrudging a youngster for choosing Ozil as the best he's played with. It's just downright ridiculous that someone would have a problem with that. It's also a case where many of these youngsters grew up idolizing Ozil, especially midfielders.

Unlike many more talented players, Ozil was/is a global superstar in football. In the World Cup of 2010, he broke out as the star. Not world class players like Xavi and Iniesta, who were already established names. At Real, he was the 2nd most popular player. At Arsenal, he was our most popular player.

The Ozil vitriol has gotten out of hands. It's like even if you dare praise him, you're some pariah or something.

I'm baffled by the stupidity on show lately. What is happening?

I think the headlines are framing this as Guendouzi taking aim at the club, it could be but I think he's being genuine about Ozil. I can't see anyone else in the squad that he'd marvel over and especially since he's a midfieler himself and would likely model his game on someone like Ozil. It's natural. I've seen Wilshere name Cazorla as one of the best he's played with despite other players scoring more goals and having turning out massive performances. Every player has their preference and I don't mind hearing about the players player's rate.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:43 pm

aniym wrote:Think we've established that he's not coming back. Hopefully Bertha have £6m sitting around somewhere so we can break even on him and move on.

Amen to that.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ag6789 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:24 pm

Yes, water under the bridge. The 'has been' and the ' pretender'. Mutual admiration.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:29 pm

ag6789 wrote:Yes, water under the bridge. The 'has been' and the ' pretender'. Mutual admiration.

...with the sole aim being to have a pop at the club.

And the media lap it up almost as ravenously as the anti-Arteta brigade.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:25 pm

Phil71 wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Yes, water under the bridge. The 'has been' and the ' pretender'. Mutual admiration.

How? Where is this pop at the club? By saying he rates Ozil and Emery?

Sensitive much Phil??
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Sensitive much Phil??

If you fell out with your boss and were on a secondment somewhere else, and you gave a public statement saying how you love the bloke who was there before him, and your favourite player was the one he had left out of the squad and subsequently released, how would you expect him to take that?

How would you take that if you were the boss?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:14 pm

Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Sensitive much Phil??

If you fell out with your boss and were on a secondment somewhere else, and you gave a public statement saying how you love the bloke who was there before him, and your favourite player was the one he had left out of the squad and subsequently released, how would you expect him to take that?

See, this is the reason why the world is what it is, everyone is so damn sensitive, everyone has to find numerous sub plots or double meanings to things. why can't they just mean what thekid said ??? The previous manager played him every single game pretty much, of course he would be fond of Emery. why is it so hard to believe that is the reason for him to say Emery ? He played with Ozil, he saw what Ozil can do, he has never played next to a midfielder of Ozil's ability. Why would he not say Ozil ?

You lot are a bunch of snowflakes, seriously.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:57 pm

Don't think it was a pop at anybody.

Guendouzi came here as a Ligue 2 unknown and played all the major games in our EL run including the final. Not shocking then that he likes Emery as a coach.

Ozil is a skilful player. His footballing intelligence is still there and considering that Guendo was 11 when Ozil was at Real, he's going to be starstruck. Most of the U23s are.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:59 am

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Sensitive much Phil??

See, this is the reason why the world is what it is, everyone is so damn sensitive, everyone has to find numerous sub plots or double meanings to things. why can't they just mean what thekid said ??? The previous manager played him every single game pretty much, of course he would be fond of Emery. why is it so hard to believe that is the reason for him to say Emery ? He played with Ozil, he saw what Ozil can do, he has never played next to a midfielder of Ozil's ability. Why would he not say Ozil ?

You lot are a bunch of snowflakes, seriously.

Amen.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to World Football