Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Mattéo Guendouzi (29)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Sims wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Sims wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Not really sure what he did - seems Arteta didn;t like him having a pop at an opponent for injuring our goalkeeper and ending his season.
It must be more than that though because we actually need that kind of response from our players.

He’s had numerous disciplinary proceedings throughout the season

Such as in Dubai at a restaurant for a team meal he jumped on the table took his shirt off and started swinging it around

Was Arteta in charge then?

Yes. He was also messing around in a training session whilst we were in Dubai.

This is from the Athletic

The Frenchman attracted headlines after his post-match spat with Brighton striker Neal Maupay. Although he escaped punishment from the FA, it has been a different matter internally. Guendouzi was called to a meeting with Arteta and technical director Edu in the aftermath of the Brighton game but didn’t impress. Arteta’s decision to exclude Guendouzi is understood to be based on more than just this incident, which is seen as the latest in a series of indiscretions.

Seems to me that Arteta needs to do a better job of man managament. Not all players will respond to a single approach.
Guendouzi is a decnt young player - it's up to Arteta to get the most out of him.
It's something I don;t like about Arteta's style, but as long as he;s winning, he's all good.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:34 pm

Yup, I like him as player but good riddance, we can't carry petulant players.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:36 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Sims wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Sims wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Not really sure what he did - seems Arteta didn;t like him having a pop at an opponent for injuring our goalkeeper and ending his season.
It must be more than that though because we actually need that kind of response from our players.

Such as in Dubai at a restaurant for a team meal he jumped on the table took his shirt off and started swinging it around

The Frenchman attracted headlines after his post-match spat with Brighton striker Neal Maupay. Although he escaped punishment from the FA, it has been a different matter internally. Guendouzi was called to a meeting with Arteta and technical director Edu in the aftermath of the Brighton game but didn’t impress. Arteta’s decision to exclude Guendouzi is understood to be based on more than just this incident, which is seen as the latest in a series of indiscretions.

Seems to me that Arteta needs to do a better job of man managament. Not all players will respond to a single approach.
Guendouzi is a decnt young player - it's up to Arteta to get the most out of him.
It's something I don;t like about Arteta's style, but as long as he;s winning, he's all good.

Would you keep patient with the likes of Balotelli, Ben Arfa, Ravel Morrison, Adel Taarabt, Adrien Rabiot etc?

They’re lost causes and if Guendouzi doesn’t fix his attitude in the next 2 years his career path will be on the same downward trajectory
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Sims wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Sims wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Sims wrote:

Would you keep patient with the likes of Balotelli, Ben Arfa, Ravel Morrison, Adel Taarabt, Adrien Rabiot etc?

They’re lost causes and if Guendouzi doesn’t fix his attitude in the next 2 years his career path will be on the same downward trajectory

Well dancing on a table and confronting an opponent for assualting our goalkeeper doesn't really convince me he is in the same mould as Ballotelli.
Like I said, as long as Arteta is winning he can get away with his authoritarian approach.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:41 pm

I also believe that Arteta said he would have preferred Guendouzi to show that fight and desire during the game, and not after it
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Sims wrote:I also believe that Arteta said he would have preferred Guendouzi to show that fight and desire during the game, and not after it

If that is true then it really should have been something the manager kept between the player and himself. Not keen on these leaks about internal affairs - that seem to be emanating from the management team.

This authoritarian style carries inherent risks - managing by fear works as long as those you're dictating to believe you have the total and unquestionable support from those above. The first ***** in that perception will bring problems.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm

It’s more cultish than authoritarian imo. Much like Poch was at Spurs.

He was smart enough to want a whole rebuild last summer because he knew the cult mentality was fading, Levy didn’t do it and we saw what happened

For now all the players love him and back every decision he’s making - long may it continue
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Callum » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Arteta has come in and demanded a lot of his players, and those who have bought in have been rewarded. We've improved as a team, the players clearly love the manager, and we beat City and Chelsea to win the FA Cup against all odds. Arteta has more than proven that his way is the right way and no player is bigger than what he's trying to do here.

I like Guendouzi and he had a bright future here, but if he's not willing to buy into that then he can leave. We need a squad fully committed to what Arteta is trying to achieve here.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm

Santi wrote:Thought the talent was worth nurturing but tbh he is coming across more and more like a c***.

Cya Matteo, so much for 'loving Arsenal'. He'd have congratulated them no matter what if he did, they're supposed to be his friends after all.

van Persie was the same. Remember when nobody wanted to sign him and Wenger did?

'Course we don't have Wenger anymore.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby hs6bx » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Callum wrote:Arteta has come in and demanded a lot of his players, and those who have bought in have been rewarded. We've improved as a team, the players clearly love the manager, and we beat City and Chelsea to win the FA Cup against all odds. Arteta has more than proven that his way is the right way and no player is bigger than what he's trying to do here.

I like Guendouzi and he had a bright future here, but if he's not willing to buy into that then he can leave. We need a squad fully committed to what Arteta is trying to achieve here.

Ah man! I reluctantly agree with this. I love him as a player, but if he really is ruffling too many feathers then we have to go with the bigger picture. Arteta and his vision is the most important thing right now - he needs everyone on board, especially in the early stages.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Sims wrote:It’s more cultish than authoritarian imo. Much like Poch was at Spurs.

He was smart enough to want a whole rebuild last summer because he knew the cult mentality was fading, Levy didn’t do it and we saw what happened

For now all the players love him and back every decision he’s making - long may it continue

Poch had no cult, he just lucked out by having the best Spurs team in a generation, most of whom were there before he arrived. And he still couldn't get them to not be bottlers of the highest order. A cult leader would have demanded more.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:46 am

When he first came to us I thought he was ok I hoped he would become a key player with experience and hard work, if he can get rid of that stupid attitude he still could be an asset. He is still young and if that is IF he gets another chance he should grab it with both hands.

However, after reading this ............Guendouzi, missed the game and the Frenchman decided against even congratulating his teammates for their achievements.

He is gone.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby VCC » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 am

Nuggets wrote:When he first came to us I thought he was ok I hoped he would become a key player with experience and hard work, if he can get rid of that stupid attitude he still could be an asset. He is still young and if that is IF he gets another chance he should grab it with both hands.

However, after reading this ............Guendouzi, missed the game and the Frenchman decided against even congratulating his teammates for their achievements.

He is gone.

If that last paragraph is true and correct, he should go .......but who would want a poisonous prick attitude like that?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Not sure what tier this is for them.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Angelito wrote: