Mattéo Guendouzi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Matteo Guendouzi (29)

Postby UFGN » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:00 pm

Angelito wrote:Last 10 years? Hmmm.

Names worth mentioning would be Nasri, Szczesny, Bellerin, Wilshere, Song, Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs, and Chamberlain.

Top-class talent? That would be Nasri only.

Most of those were pretty average
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:08 pm

One final word on the subject

Imagine signing Walcott but not Bale
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Mess » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Names worth mentioning would be Nasri, Szczesny, Bellerin, Wilshere, Song, Ramsey, Walcott, Gibbs, and Chamberlain.

That's a pretty underwhelming list for someone touted as being one of the top manager to nurture young talent. In my opinion, Wenger has never been that good at it actually. My theory is that the players with already superb talent and great footballing intelligence benefited of Wenger creating an environment suited to boost their confidence and encourage them to express themselves without fear of being benched or thrown under the bus (I'm looking at you Mourinho). But I don't think he did much for them on a technical level. And when the supreme talent pool dried up, he didn't manage to get average to good players (on paper) to the next level.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 am

Weird how Farbregas, Henry, RVP, Vieira and many others refer to Wenger as their footballing father and credit him for their accomplishments but kids on the internet differ in their opinion. But there’s always the fallback argument of the “last ten years”.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:27 am

The fact you have to go back more than a decade to bring up players speaks volumes

RIP Wenger turning Guendouzi in to a world beater debate
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:54 am

Surely "youngster" classes as below 20 only right? once a player is 20 plus if he's come from another club that means he was taught and raised elsewhere not under the manager who just signed him, he was a good player when he came, not trained and developed there.

So out of that list I wouldn't give Wenger Nasri as he was made in Marsellie.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:02 am

Arsene Nose wrote:Weird how Farbregas, Henry, RVP, Vieira and many others refer to Wenger as their footballing father and credit him for their accomplishments but kids on the internet differ in their opinion. But there’s always the fallback argument of the “last ten years”.

Henry's career was well under way before he came here as a winger from Juventus.

But yes the fact that Wenger put him up front made him.

............. however, no one has questioned Wenger of the 90's and early 2,000's, if he was achieving anything like that he'd still be here, but yes last 10 years ....... on what planet is a decade in football not relevant?

Its an insult that you would even attempt to brush that accusation aside, like AFC is some retirement home or petting zoo, this just goes to show that with demented fan boys like this, it just gives credence to the venom and determination of the WOB's campaign.

Odd time when you look back and think "was it a bit ott?" then you remember the mindless, never ending support and zealotry he had propping up his power at the club and realise change was never going to happen unless people forced them to do it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:08 pm

What do you think of a Guendozi and Niles double pivot?
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yago » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Niles is overrated af and won't ever make it here.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Mess » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Weird how Farbregas, Henry, RVP, Vieira and many others refer to Wenger as their footballing father and credit him for their accomplishments but kids on the internet differ in their opinion. But there’s always the fallback argument of the “last ten years”.

You do realize you just proved my point here? They were all trained by Wenger like more than 10 years ago, hence, why many of us talk about "The last years. There's no such quality in the past 10-12 years. I'm not saying that Wenger never turned anyone into a great footballer. I'm just saying he was not that great at it, much less than people makes him to be in that regard.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Mess » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:What do you think of a Guendozi and Niles double pivot?

I like their potential but it's too soon to tell. If I had to bet on 1 breaking through, i'd definitely pick Guendouzi.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 am

Mess wrote:

I like their potential but it's too soon to tell. If I had to bet on 1 breaking through, i'd definitely pick Guendouzi.

Yes Gendo is ahead but Niles is also just 20 and coming along nicely. If you pair them you’d have a central midfield with two high energy players, with good defensive ability and strong on the ball. Niles can also carry the ball. It would be a midfield initially lacking experience but good quality.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:50 am

Yago wrote:Niles is overrated af and won't ever make it here.

What he said.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
Mess wrote:

Yes Gendo is ahead but Niles is also just 20 and coming along nicely. If you pair them you’d have a central midfield with two high energy players, with good defensive ability and strong on the ball. Niles can also carry the ball. It would be a midfield initially lacking experience but good quality.

I would love to see Niles in mid. But who do you bench or sell to give him regular playing time? I guess my pick would be Xhaka but even though I don't like him at all, he's probably still better than Niles and we probably need to keep him in there for balance purposes (I almost puked writing this). Unless we accept that we're in a complete rebuilding mode and focus on player development rather than trying to compete on all front, or any front for that matter. Then we could drop Xhaka (in my opinion).
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Sims » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:51 pm

maitland-niles is an absolute baller

dont think ive seen a midfielder with his level of composure at his age in a long long time
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football