Tony Adams on Spurs England Players mentality

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tony Adams on Spurs England Players mentality

Postby matelot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 am

England have been pretty average at this years world cup and I expect Belgium to beat us comfortably tonight.We have had a soft run to the semi's and were a crossbar in a penalty shoot out of going out in the round of 16 to Columbia which would have been a disaster and probably cost Southgate his job, yet now he's hailed a hero for getting us to the semi's.If England do win tonight against a good Belgium team then it was an acceptable world cup.If they lose they have basically won 3 drawn 1 and lost 3 which shows a very mediocre campaign..
matelot
Michael Thomas

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:15 am

Ach wrote:So we can't be good. The other team has to be crap. Dear god.

Sweden had no teeth. 1 goal in 2 knockout games and not many shots. I don't think thr England performance was out of this world and yes I watched it. A good solid professional performance full of energy. But not great.

Sweden's blunt attack was never going to trouble England's defence. Sweden are a bang average team like i said.

**Edited to correct my choice of words
Last edited by theHotHead on Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:So we can't be good. The other team has to be crap. Dear god.

Sweden had no teeth. 1 goal in 2 knockout games and not many shots. And in any case I didn't say they were shit, I said they were an average team on England's level. I don't think thr England performance was out of this world and yes I watched it. A good solid professional performance full of energy. But not great.

...........and they lost ;)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby DialSquaregooner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Harry kane been banging on endlessly this wc that the squad are winners is laughable, only a few in the squad have medals on their cv. He should keep quiet more.
DialSquaregooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 pm

DialSquaregooner wrote:Harry kane been banging on endlessly this wc that the squad are winners is laughable, only a few in the squad have medals on their cv. He should keep quiet more.

True, they beat a few pub teams and think that's brilliant.
Nuggets

Postby matelot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:27 am

I know many a pub team who could beat Tunisia and Panama without the use of set plays..
matelot
Michael Thomas

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 am

They lost to Belgium again - so it is clear, England CANNOT beat any decent teams, just fodder. The team really do need quality.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:Btw, HotHead, I get what you're saying, however, think about it this way.

If Arsenal won the UCL, by avoiding Barca, Real, Bayern, Atleti, and Juve through some incredible anomaly, would we care? On top of that, if we ended up beating Partizan Belgrade in the final, who'd care?

We'd still have lucked out. And we may not have won it if we had faced the big boys, but as fans we would surely lose our shit. And we'd have overachieved still because if luck weren't in our side, we'd have been smashed by the favorites.

Yes, a SF isn't as good as winning the whole thing, but we've never had a fluke World Cup winner. Well not since England in 1966? :P I don't know.

Brazil, West Germany, Argentina, Italy, France, and Spain.

If Croatia wins it this year, it'll be the first that a non-favorite would have won the World Cup. Meanwhile, clubs have fluked out a win in the UCL.

So, SFs of a WC is pretty incredible - no matter how you achieve it. England weren't great but they did what they had to do.

Well nobody would.

But to play devil's advocate, if Arsenal were knocked out in the semi finals by a team 16 places beneath them in the UEFA rankings, people would say it was embarrassing.

They certainly wouldn't say we had had a great campaign.

I was at Hillsborough in 1973 when we were 2nd in the league and lost a semi final to Sunderland who were 6th in the second division
It still rankles
Italia 90 and euro 96 still rankle
That's football
Don't give a flying f**k how we got there
Having watched an England team huff and puff to a 0-0 draw with Algeria in 2010
How anybody can not see this as a degree of progress is beyond me
All I could hope for was they cared and left it all on the pitch and they certainly did so in this tournament
We lacked players with the nouse to control the game in the 2nd half of that semi final in terms of both creativity and breaking up play. But at least you can see a pattern of trying to develop better habits. As for the term it's coming home. The whole ethos of the original song was an ideal of hope in a climate where jaded old failure had become the norm
To that end the country's relationship with the national team was restored therefore it did come home.
I listened to plenty of pre match talk from both the fans of and media of Croatia and there was a belief they were going to the final
I really don't get this modric/ Keane take that England were planning for the final
We did nothing more the all football fans of any creed do
We hoped and dreamed
I loved the fact for those days leading up to we thought we might
I'm never losing that
Part of the joy of football
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk