Tony Adams on Spurs England Players mentality

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tony Adams on Spurs England Players mentality

Postby Losmeister » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:All that matters is winning, what we achieved will only mean anything if it is a springboard for being competitive and leading to a success in the Euros or worlds in future years, ATM it means f**k all and ultimately we failed as harsh as that sounds

puzzling... i guess i would say that i wouldnty have expectd that from you...

semis is a NICE result. :dontknow:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby lol » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:England played one decent side and one half decent side in the whole competition - and lost to both of them.

Yes it was great for the fans that the team got to the semi finals, but we just about beat Tunisia, thrashed a really crap Panama, beat Columbia on penalties, and beat a pretty dull and knackered Sweden.

Let's not get too excited.

We reached the semi finals. Did you expect that? Before the tournament started?

This lol guy didn't watch the World Cup which is clear as day. His who we face is more important than getting far in a competition mantra is pretty hilarious but he's young and we can forgive him.

Semi finals we had every right to be excited. Who we faced isn't important. Not our fault Germany and Argentina weren't good enough yet we get criticised for it?

No, I didn't expect anything.

And now the tournament is over, I have given my honest assessment above.

I'm not criticising the team. I'm just stating facts regarding our tournament.

Most of us are giving our honest assessment of how it went.

Most of us would acknowledge that we were decent. Met expectations by beating the weaker teams and didn't exceed expectations by losing to a team of similar stature.

Ach is upset that the rest of us don't agree with him that we had an impressive campaign
lol
Michael Thomas

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Angelito wrote:Btw, HotHead, I get what you're saying, however, think about it this way.

If Arsenal won the UCL, by avoiding Barca, Real, Bayern, Atleti, and Juve through some incredible anomaly, would we care? On top of that, if we ended up beating Partizan Belgrade in the final, who'd care?

We'd still have lucked out. And we may not have won it if we had faced the big boys, but as fans we would surely lose our shit. And we'd have overachieved still because if luck weren't in our side, we'd have been smashed by the favorites.

Yes, a SF isn't as good as winning the whole thing, but we've never had a fluke World Cup winner. Well not since England in 1966? :P I don't know.

Brazil, West Germany, Argentina, Italy, France, and Spain.

If Croatia wins it this year, it'll be the first that a non-favorite would have won the World Cup. Meanwhile, clubs have fluked out a win in the UCL.

So, SFs of a WC is pretty incredible - no matter how you achieve it. England weren't great but they did what they had to do.

Well nobody would.

But to play devil's advocate, if Arsenal were knocked out in the semi finals by a team 16 places beneath them in the UEFA rankings, people would say it was embarrassing.

They certainly wouldn't say we had had a great campaign.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby lol » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm

In the best case, perform well and win a trophy. We are deserved winners. No one can put us down.

In the next best case, don't perform well and win a trophy. We won so why split hairs. Belittle us? We don't care. We won.

Didn't win a trophy and didn't perform well enough to beat the first big team we met. We are a success because our predecessors suck and we wear rose-tinted glasses
lol
Michael Thomas

Postby Angelito » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:Btw, HotHead, I get what you're saying, however, think about it this way.

If Arsenal won the UCL, by avoiding Barca, Real, Bayern, Atleti, and Juve through some incredible anomaly, would we care? On top of that, if we ended up beating Partizan Belgrade in the final, who'd care?

We'd still have lucked out. And we may not have won it if we had faced the big boys, but as fans we would surely lose our shit. And we'd have overachieved still because if luck weren't in our side, we'd have been smashed by the favorites.

Yes, a SF isn't as good as winning the whole thing, but we've never had a fluke World Cup winner. Well not since England in 1966? :P I don't know.

Brazil, West Germany, Argentina, Italy, France, and Spain.

If Croatia wins it this year, it'll be the first that a non-favorite would have won the World Cup. Meanwhile, clubs have fluked out a win in the UCL.

So, SFs of a WC is pretty incredible - no matter how you achieve it. England weren't great but they did what they had to do.

Well nobody would.

But to play devil's advocate, if Arsenal were knocked out in the semi finals by a team 16 places beneath them in the UEFA rankings, people would say it was embarrassing.

They certainly wouldn't say we had had a great campaign.

Well, that 16th-placed team better have the best midfielder in the world today and a solid team, whilst being miles better than us - as a team. ;)

Btw, Crotia are 20th atm. Ingurland are 12th. :shocked:

In more relevant news, France are 7th and Switzerland are 6th. :lipssealed:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Guys, what makes the World Cup more special than the Champions League is there are less games so almost every match is hyper tension and means something along with it being every 4 years! Shock winners are unlikely because it really defines the generation of every nation over that 4 year period. Champions league is yearly so shocks can happen, you can get a freak year like Porto n 2004, Chelsea in 2012 etc...

This is why if Croatia win it, despite having a top quality 1st team with world class players like Modric and top class players like Mandzukic, Vrsajllko, Perisic etc.. this would be for me the sporting achievement of this new century. Because of the nature of the world cup the top dog usually wins it or comes very close beside another worth challenger, but for a team who really where only just about even cosidered dark horses and id not go into the competition with expectations to win it, instead to get as far as possible to be crowed champion is spectacular.

Now, again comparing that to England journey. England where 65% lucky with a piss easy group and where lucky so many big teams where in the other side of the knockout draw and where lucky vs Colombia but 35% was good team ethic, a likeable manager who helped gel everyone together and hard work which needs to be celebrated. England still are a pretty crap, average team and did very, very well.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Mess » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:03 pm

elkanofan wrote:Guys, what makes the World Cup more special than the Champions League is there are less games so almost every match is hyper tension and means something along with it being every 4 years! Shock winners are unlikely because it really defines the generation of every nation over that 4 year period. Champions league is yearly so shocks can happen, you can get a freak year like Porto n 2004, Chelsea in 2012 etc...

This is why if Croatia win it, despite having a top quality 1st team with world class players like Modric and top class players like Mandzukic, Vrsajllko, Perisic etc.. this would be for me the sporting achievement of this new century. Because of the nature of the world cup the top dog usually wins it or comes very close beside another worth challenger, but for a team who really where only just about even cosidered dark horses and id not go into the competition with expectations to win it, instead to get as far as possible to be crowed champion is spectacular.

Now, again comparing that to England journey. England where 65% lucky with a piss easy group and where lucky so many big teams where in the other side of the knockout draw and where lucky vs Colombia but 35% was good team ethic, a likeable manager who helped gel everyone together and hard work which needs to be celebrated. England still are a pretty crap, average team and did very, very well.

Great post! Totally agree!
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Ach wrote:Time you watched the Sweden game before commenting. The fact you expect England to win the World Cup shows you have never watched them play. If a semi final is just average for you en dear god. Have you not seen us last few decades?

We were hardly damn good! Sweden were crap, they had no teeth whatsoever.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 pm

So we can't be good. The other team has to be crap. Dear god.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby lol » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Ok guys, maybe this is how we should look at it.

Tunisia did very well because of they have a very crap team and finished 3rd in the group.

Panama did spectacularly well because they have a team worse than crap and still qualified for World Cup.

Colombia also did very well because despite having a crappier and below average team, they reached the knockouts and were only beaten on penalties.

Sweden did very very well because despite also having a crappier and below average team, they got into the quarterfinals.

Croatia also did spectacularly well because they may have a slightly less crap and average team and got into the finals.

Come think of it...yes England did very very well.

These teams all did a great job! What a wonderful world!
lol
Michael Thomas

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Turns out Adams was right. Other than Trippier, the Spurs players were absolute dogsh*te.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:27 pm

What noob makes 61 posts on their first day? Clearly someone's back...
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Santi wrote:What noob makes 61 posts on their first day? Clearly someone's back...

2017 lol but yeah he's hardly posted and a noob at football as well
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby lol » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Santi wrote:What noob makes 61 posts on their first day? Clearly someone's back...

If you thought today's my first day, I made 15 posts today.

On my actual first day on Jun 13 2017, I made 1 post.

I don't know who you have mistaken me for. What's you point?

Ach wrote:

2017 lol but yeah he's hardly posted and a noob at football as well

Yeah still a long way from reaching your delusional pro level
lol
Michael Thomas

Postby Santi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:30 am

Soz read it completely wrong lmao

Shocker level 1000
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext