Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby Angelito » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:Platt over Alexis?

Smh.

Alexis wore #17 for his best years at Arsenal. He's in no way an iconic #7 for us.

Would you mind doing some research, or should I enlighten you?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby themessiah » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Ach wrote:Platt was quality for us in a time where we had hillier and selley as our midfield.

That goal v mancs, the assist for one of the greatest Arsenal goals ever.

Alexis was better no doubt. Don't have a bad thing to say about Platt though. Wasn't he England captain when we got him?

David Platt was a quality box to box midfielder

Platt with the greatest header ever? Marquee signing at a time we needed it. Alexis, though....You can never be a legend if you move to a rival team, so i reject RVP, Alexis and Cesc.

I never said Platt was a legend. Just a very good player for us. Don't get me wrong, David Platt was a great player in his prime. Problem is that he certainly wasn't in his prime when he came to us.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Ach wrote:Platt was quality for us in a time where we had hillier and selley as our midfield.

That goal v mancs, the assist for one of the greatest Arsenal goals ever.

Alexis was better no doubt. Don't have a bad thing to say about Platt though. Wasn't he England captain when we got him?

He was england captain when he joined
He captained in two games while at arsenal and in 19 times altogether. His signing along with bergkamp was a fantastic statement of intent from the club. He did only share a pitch with ian selley for 5 mins though
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby themessiah » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:19 pm

starmandb wrote:I think the gentleman means 95/96 wben we finished 5th to make sure we finished above everton to qualify for the uefa cup.
Bergkamp scored the winner but platt assisted and also scored our first in a 2-1 win.

Thanks Starman :1990_dancing.gif:

The only two Rioch signings but they did the job on the last day to make UEFA Cup places.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:

Smh.

Alexis wore #17 for his best years at Arsenal. He's in no way an iconic #7 for us.

Please enlighten me, I'm genuinely not sure what you're on about.

Also don't see the reason for the snarky tone? :dontknow:
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:40 am

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:

Smh.

Alexis' best season for us was as a #7.

In fact, after Henry and van Persie's *that* season, nobody has more cumulative goals and assists in a single season than Alexis' 16/17. 30 goals and 18 assists in all competitions. It was the absolute pinnacle of his career.

Considering the fact that he's arguably our most instrumental player of the Emirates era and second-best player after van Persie (arguably) during the same time frame, and his epic performances in the SF and Final of the FA Cup that very season, it's safe to include him as an iconic #7 for us.

What makes him special is his influence beyond stats alone. Alexis was an Arsenal superstar who delivered most of the time he laced those boots. His passion, commitment, sheer desire, and talent makes him one of our finest players ever.

If there's anything an iconic kit number encapsulates, it was Alexis as a #7 in 16/17.

Therefore, Bukayo Saka is indeed joining an elite company of Arsenal #7s that includes Pires, Armstrong, Alexis, Rocky, Rosicky, and Brady.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:

Smh.

Alexis' best season for us was as a #7.

In fact, after Henry and van Persie's *that* season, nobody has more cumulative goals and assists in a single season than Alexis' 16/17. 30 goals and 18 assists in all competitions. It was the absolute pinnacle of his career.

Considering the fact that he's arguably our most instrumental player of the Emirates era and second-best player after van Persie (arguably) during the same time frame, and his epic performances in the SF and Final of the FA Cup that very season, it's safe to include him as an iconic #7 for us.

What makes him special is his influence beyond stats alone. Alexis was an Arsenal superstar who delivered most of the time he laced those boots. His passion, commitment, sheer desire, and talent makes him one of our finest players ever.

If there's anything an iconic kit number encapsulates, it was Alexis as a #7 in 16/17.

Therefore, Bukayo Saka is indeed joining an elite company of Arsenal #7s that includes Pires, Armstrong, Alexis, Rocky, Rosicky, and Brady.

Ah right, I had misremembered—thought he had taken the #7 in 17/18 and not 16/17. I still dispute the fact that he's an iconic #7 for us, given he only had one good year in that shirt.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:02 am

Wow.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Great vision and perfectly-weighed trivela pass to find Ceballos on the overlap.

By far the most difficult part of the whole move.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Callum » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Zenith wrote:Great vision and perfectly-weighed trivela pass to find Ceballos on the overlap.

By far the most difficult part of the whole move.

His pass through to Aubameyang for the first as well.

He was sloppy today but still produced two moments of real quality to help win us the game. The boy's special.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:08 pm

Gonna be a massive star, plus hes Arsenal through and through, showed that when he signed da ting.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Wasted loads of earlier chances to assist though.

that was the only one he got right, glad he came through at the end but needs to improve the consistency of his final balls.

I was getting frustrated watching him pan them all until the final through ball to Ceb.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Wasted loads of earlier chances to assist though.

that was the only one he got right, glad he came through at the end but needs to improve the consistency of his final balls.

I was getting frustrated watching him pan them all until the final through ball to Ceb.

We mustn't forget how young he is, and that he's still producing moments of quality. He'll only get better.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 pm

He was great today, made some key passes and worked his socks off.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Callum wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Wasted loads of earlier chances to assist though.

We mustn't forget how young he is, and that he's still producing moments of quality. He'll only get better.

THis is nothing to do w/ Saka in particular. But... this notion constantly occurs..." young player WILL improve" as if it's pre-ordained.

It's not, many do not.

Iwobi? Wilshere? Walcott? ANd thats jyst off the top of my head and only THIS club....

Guys like MUnir and Delofeu from Barca La Masia... et cet....

"He'll only get better" is a myth. SOME do, most don't.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk