Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (77)

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:52 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Tierney and Kola are not as good as Saka imo

Are you saying Tierney isn't a better defender than Saka? ....................

Saka is a LW and is living off his offence, of course he's better going forward than they are, but there's nothing about his performance that couldn't be done from him starting at LW.

He even said in his last interview that he doesn't see LB as his position, he just said he's happy for now as he's getting game time, the man is a LW.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:04 am

More assists in all competitions (9) than any United or Chelsea player and as many as Spurs' Son Heung-min.

Also leader in assists for Arsenal.

Quick reminder: he's just 18 years old and doesn't even play in his favored position.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:10 am

Better sign the boy.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:33 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Saka is a LW and is living off his offence, of course he's better going forward than they are, but there's nothing about his performance that couldn't be done from him starting at LW.

He even said in his last interview that he doesn't see LB as his position, he just said he's happy for now as he's getting game time, the man is a LW.
Full back position isn't just about defending anymore. Just look at our rhs with sokratis there last night, solid defensively but we lacked width.

Kolasinac isn't known for his defensive abilities and tierney is yet to prove himself in the premier league.

Atm I'd have saka ahead of both.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:47 am

Storm in a teacup. The boy has been at Arsenal from a child, he obviously wants to maximize his earnings and is not stupid, he knows his worth to the team. Probably being advised by his family too who see an incredible opportunity for them all!!

He aint going nowhere and will sign a decent contract
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 am

Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Full back position isn't just about defending anymore. Just look at our rhs with sokratis there last night, solid defensively but we lacked width.

Kolasinac isn't known for his defensive abilities and tierney is yet to prove himself in the premier league.

Atm I'd have saka ahead of both.

That's nothing new, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Ashley Cole, we've had good fullbacks who go forward for years.

What Saka is offering is an overload of two wingers on the same flank, that's why its effective.

Its got nothing to do with him being a LB, its that we have Saka and Auba both attacking on one flank with the potency of wingers. .

How good it is having Saka as a defender will become clearer when he's up against Liverpool or Cities and the like, if he gets wrapped up and we concede ............ will that be good?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:22 pm

Saka is a terrible defender, when we play teams we cannot dominate I expect him to have a torrid time defensively.

Tierney must be our first choice LB in reality, but Saka is definitely an option at what seems to be LWB. I guess it all depends on what system we plan to play when all players are fit. Will we see Tierney at LB and Saka further forward ? I don't see how Kolasinac gets his place back, because he doesn't create as much as Saka and defensively he can be a liability.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Saka is a winger / inside forward

He cant be judged on his effectiveness as a defender. I'm surprised Arteta even plays him at LB. Does AFC seriously have no professional defenders in its books that could do a better job?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:39 pm

UFGN wrote:Saka is a winger / inside forward

He cant be judged on his effectiveness as a defender. I'm surprised Arteta even plays him at LB. Does AFC seriously have no professional defenders in its books that could do a better job?
He's been brilliant at LB ffs
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:39 pm

Obviously I agree, but the reason Arteta is playing Saka is because "offensively" its working too well to bench him.

Again we're overloading opposition defenders with two LW's in Auba and Saka running at them and they have a rough time with it, in fact both combined for our goal with the ball recovery, over lap then final pass.

So far Saka is managing to avoid being overly exposed at the back because our CB's with Xhaka have been good positionally speaking by covering the left but as has been said, against top wingers we'll have to see how this pans out.

Saka should really just play LW but Arteta is getting around that with this hybrid 4-2-3-1 which turns into a 3-4-3 when we go forward, Xhaka peels out to the LB role of the back 3 when Saka bombs up.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Think he’s actually better at LB than LW tbh. Gives him an easier chance to do the overlap and get his crosses in.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:20 pm

Arteta keep saying he is not a left back and I agree. He is doing well now, but he needs to play further up and eventually he will
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:11 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Obviously I agree, but the reason Arteta is playing Saka is because "offensively" its working too well to bench him.

Again we're overloading opposition defenders with two LW's in Auba and Saka running at them and they have a rough time with it, in fact both combined for our goal with the ball recovery, over lap then final pass.

So far Saka is managing to avoid being overly exposed at the back because our CB's with Xhaka have been good positionally speaking by covering the left but as has been said, against top wingers we'll have to see how this pans out.

Saka should really just play LW but Arteta is getting around that with this hybrid 4-2-3-1 which turns into a 3-4-3 when we go forward, Xhaka peels out to the LB role of the back 3 when Saka bombs up.

Which is exactly what we missed on the right yesterday in Athens.

Saka actually has played very well at LB for being 19 or whatever he is. He closes down very well, he gets up and down the pitch very well in transition both ways and is not rattled by anything as far as I have seen. Yes Xhaka has been far better under Arteta at covering.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Losmeister » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 pm

sadly this seems a truth. same at RB which is we saw AMN sadly try to do this. :doh:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ESR10 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Extend his contract no matter what he wants. What a player!!!
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk