Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 pm

Rushed back IMO. Also, last few appearances he's been looking gassed at the 60 min mark.

Use him 1st half, then bring Pepe on for the 2nd.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:11 pm

Discomfort in his thigh according to Arteta

So not a dead leg
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:If we didn't have Smith Rowe, I'd want to see Saka play through the middle but it looks like he can do damage anywhere on the pitch. Most talented player to come through our academy in years.

Got my wish. He's capable. Hopefully his injury isn't that bad.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:40 pm

I still think CM next to Partey as a dlp
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 am

Tony Adams wrote:I still think CM next to Partey as a dlp

I too believe that ultimately his best position is most likely to prove to be in central midfield, as not only does he possess the running power, guile, technical ability, vision and intelligence to play the role to the highest standards, more importantly he has the right mentality and selfless attitude to team work. Furthermore, this is also the primary reason why him playing at left back is a waste of his resources in my opinion.

Whilst not for one moment suggesting direct comparisons are warranted, he has elements to his game of a fashion mindful of Steven Gerrard, David Beckham and Robert Pires to ME, but as I've alluded once or twice before, if I was having to liken him to anyone in particular with all sentiment aside, it would be David Rocastle.

That I would still look to best utilise him further forward of central midfield and from the flanks in particular with a view to developing his prowess in front of goal, this should work to enhance his game in preparation for evolving into a midfield kingpin.

The notion of playing alongside Partey has some traction to me too, but more with the Ghanaian as his partner in crime at right CM to Saka's left CM, with a bonafide DM behind them or likes of a Smith-Rowe in front of them at AM. Without getting too carried away, such a personnel could see a rebirth of a midfield diamond behind a front two drawn from Martinelli, Pepe and Balogun.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:38 am

Couldn't disagree more.

Saka played like a Second Striker today which is why it worked, he was attacking right behind Laca putting more pressure on the defense than we usually do as the runs at the box started as soon as he got the ball.

How you went from that to thinking he should be a DLP is mind blowing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:

I too believe that ultimately his best position is most likely to prove to be in central midfield, as not only does he possess the running power, guile, technical ability, vision and intelligence to play the role to the highest standards, more importantly he has the right mentality and selfless attitude to team work. Furthermore, this is also the primary reason why him playing at left back is a waste of his resources in my opinion.

Whilst not for one moment suggesting direct comparisons are warranted, he has elements to his game of a fashion mindful of Steven Gerrard, David Beckham and Robert Pires to ME, but as I've alluded once or twice before, if I was having to liken him to anyone in particular with all sentiment aside, it would be David Rocastle.

That I would still look to best utilise him further forward of central midfield and from the flanks in particular with a view to developing his prowess in front of goal, this should work to enhance his game in preparation for evolving into a midfield kingpin.

The notion of playing alongside Partey has some traction to me too, but more with the Ghanaian as his partner in crime at right CM to Saka's left CM, with a bonafide DM behind them or likes of a Smith-Rowe in front of them at AM. Without getting too carried away, such a personnel could see a rebirth of a midfield diamond behind a front two drawn from Martinelli, Pepe and Balogun.

Agreed but wouldn't mind seeing ESR Partey Saka line up in a 4-3-3 as well.

Shame he got injured but liked his energy. Seemed to have a good partnership with Pepe down that side, kept popping up on the inside of Pepe which gave that extra support and enabled them to one two it down the flank. Opens things up for Chambers overlapping as well. Good to see Partey have someone to play off as well.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:31 am

Power n Glory wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Shame he got injured but liked his energy. Seemed to have a good partnership with Pepe down that side, kept popping up on the inside of Pepe which gave that extra support and enabled them to one two it down the flank. Opens things up for Chambers overlapping as well. Good to see Partey have someone to play off as well.

Likewise, I'm in agreement with your thoughts on a possible midfield trio of Smith-Rowe, Partey and Saka being workable.

Also glad it was picked up that there was an understanding with Pepe that developed to also encourage a good showing from Chambers at right back as well as offer a bit of liberation for Partey.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:48 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.

Saka played like a Second Striker today which is why it worked, he was attacking right behind Laca putting more pressure on the defense than we usually do as the runs at the box started as soon as he got the ball.

I agree with you DG, not sure why anyone would think he as a DLP is a good idea. Look at good DLPs, none of them are anything like Saka.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 am

You guys dismissed the idea of being able to play through the middle the other week!

Would prefer Saka to pay as the 10 but if push came to shove and we need him to play a CM as DLP with Odegaard or ESR ahead as a 10, I wouldn't outright dismiss the idea.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:12 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.

I agree with you DG, not sure why anyone would think he as a DLP is a good idea. Look at good DLPs, none of them are anything like Saka.

Agree with ya both. Saka is a truly gifted wide players, I want to keep him out wide at all costs.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Likewise, I'm in agreement with your thoughts on a possible midfield trio of Smith-Rowe, Partey and Saka being workable.

Also glad it was picked up that there was an understanding with Pepe that developed to also encourage a good showing from Chambers at right back as well as offer a bit of liberation for Partey.

That 10 role has been key to some of our better performances. Initially, when we bought Willian I thought Arteta would shift Saka to that 10 role because there was talk of him being able to play there. Hopefully, he gets more games there if ESR isn't fit.

We won't be keeping Ceballos and I don't think we'll be able to keep Odegaard. But I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay whatever Real wants for Ode if Saka or ESR continue to play well. I want us to prioritise the development of Saka and ESR.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Power n Glory wrote:You guys dismissed the idea of being able to play through the middle the other week!

Would prefer Saka to pay as the 10 but if push came to shove and we need him to play a CM as DLP with Odegaard or ESR ahead as a 10, I wouldn't outright dismiss the idea.

I don't know who dismissed him playing him the middle. Him playing in an offensive capacity would work anywhere across the front line. Him playing as a DLP is an entirely different beast, not least because playing offensive passes is probably not even half of what a DLP does - possibly half at best !! So why would it make sense to play Saka there ???

Saka does his damage in the final third, you can't just pick up a player from there and dump him into the edge of the first third and think it would work. In the same way ESR as a DLP would be a terrible idea. DLPs have a range of passing the best in the entire team. They are also good in tight situations in the middle of the park. We have not seen any extensive range of passing from Saka to suggest he could play there
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:I agree with DG, I don't think Saka would be as effective playing centrally as he is playing wide, for me he is more of a LW, LF.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:16 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I agree with DG, I don't think Saka would be as effective playing centrally as he is playing wide, for me he is more of a LW, LF.

Think he is far far better on the right side, not the left.
But yeah agree -he's not a central midfielder.
People see one pass and make snap judgements.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk