Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:43 am

I don't understand how we are in this position again so soon after we were in it the last time surely 4 year contracts need to be he minimum for our top players, surely Saka would've signed an extension that kept him at the club for 5 years so the contract renewal cycle would be every 3 years.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:50 am

Well, I think Martinelli is also down to his last two years but haven't heard anything about a new contract for him.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:50 am

Rumour has it the extension talks have stalled because Saka is demanding a release clause. If true, it shows Saka or his representatives are both smart and realistic about the future.

Saka is a highly talented footballer whose ambition almost certainly extends further than playing regular Champions League football in the group stage. While I don't question his love for Arsenal, he probably realises that he can't expect to chase his dreams under the current regime. Therefore, it's more than understandable for him to make an exit strategy, and I can't fault him for that.

Unless we take a major step forward next season, we should start preparing for time after Saka.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Ach » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:01 am

This is why top 4 was so important. Get it and he's signed by now

Absolute failure in a season where it was the easiest to get top 4 and no doubt his advisors are telling him to wait and see what happens next season now we are back in Europe and getting CL will be a lot tougher
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:15 am

PairyGrows wrote:Rumour has it the extension talks have stalled because Saka is demanding a release clause. If true, it shows Saka or his representatives are both smart and realistic about the future.

Saka is a highly talented footballer whose ambition almost certainly extends further than playing regular Champions League football in the group stage. While I don't question his love for Arsenal, he probably realises that he can't expect to chase his dreams under the current regime. Therefore, it's more than understandable for him to make an exit strategy, and I can't fault him for that.

Unless we take a major step forward next season, we should start preparing for time after Saka.

Considering how bad we are at selling players a release clause would probably be better for us that Saka and his party.

Sure we’d lose him sooner than expected but would you rather take 80M on a release clause in January for example or lose him for 20M in the final year of his contract
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:28 am

KG3 wrote:Considering how bad we are at selling players a release clause would probably be better for us that Saka and his party.

Sure we’d lose him sooner than expected but would you rather take 80M on a release clause in January for example or lose him for 20M in the final year of his contract

If we can get an 80m buyout all good, his team want a 30m clause for next summer - as that is what they consider he would be worth if he refused to sign and thus had only one year left on his contract.

Basically we gamble 50m on Saka helping us achieve CL football next summer, or Saka (and a few more) will be off on the cheap if we don't.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:27 am

KG3 wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:Rumour has it the extension talks have stalled because Saka is demanding a release clause. If true, it shows Saka or his representatives are both smart and realistic about the future.

Considering how bad we are at selling players a release clause would probably be better for us that Saka and his party.

I think if the player is asking for a release clause it probably won’t be a huge amount, he’s basically saying he wants the option to leave if a big club comes in, 80 million would rule out a lot of clubs.

I’d expect it would be a lot less than that.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Hypergooner » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:35 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:I can't see him leaving this summer and I think he has one more contract with us, but we do need to get smarter with these contracts.
Why didn't we tie him down last season?
Why not do what every other club does and get him to sign by inserting a realistic release clause in?
Put a time limit on negotiations, so we can sell for good value if they won't sign.

Arsenal should employ me to negotiate these contracts! I'd have him signed by now.

Negotiations=
Me - sign this 4 year extension. We love you, the fans love you and you could be a club legend and maybe a statue. We'll pay you £125k per week. If we get in CL we'll pay another £25k. £130m buyout clause which the rich clubs will pay if you keep going as you are and want to leave. If you don't improve they won't want you anyway.

Saka - Yes I'll sign

If saka says no - We can't loose you for nothing as you are too good and we are skint. If you don't sign now, we need to sell you now.

Saka - I don't want to be sold and my mum says I'm not allowed to leave home yet. Give me the contract, where do I sign

Saka - I'd rather wait until next season to sign a deal and see if we achieve a Top 4 finish. If I leave, I'm going to leave for a CL club and would prefer to stay in the Premier League.

Not good enough I'm afraid! We will then loose you for nothing if we don't get CL and we can't afford that. If we get a large bid for you this summer, we'll take it, unless you sign by 20th August. Remember, if we don't get CL you will still have the release clause.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:53 pm

Hypergooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:I can't see him leaving this summer and I think he has one more contract with us, but we do need to get smarter with these contracts.
Why didn't we tie him down last season?
Why not do what every other club does and get him to sign by inserting a realistic release clause in?
Put a time limit on negotiations, so we can sell for good value if they won't sign.

Arsenal should employ me to negotiate these contracts! I'd have him signed by now.

Negotiations=
Me - sign this 4 year extension. We love you, the fans love you and you could be a club legend and maybe a statue. We'll pay you £125k per week. If we get in CL we'll pay another £25k. £130m buyout clause which the rich clubs will pay if you keep going as you are and want to leave. If you don't improve they won't want you anyway.

Saka - Yes I'll sign

If saka says no - We can't loose you for nothing as you are too good and we are skint. If you don't sign now, we need to sell you now.

Saka - I don't want to be sold and my mum says I'm not allowed to leave home yet. Give me the contract, where do I sign

Saka - I'd rather wait until next season to sign a deal and see if we achieve a Top 4 finish. If I leave, I'm going to leave for a CL club and would prefer to stay in the Premier League.

Not good enough I'm afraid! We will then loose you for nothing if we don't get CL and we can't afford that. If we get a large bid for you this summer, we'll take it, unless you sign by 20th August. Remember, if we don't get CL you will still have the release clause.

Saka - Fine with me. Let's see what bids come in this summer and I'll leave if the right bid arrives.

Side note, reports are saying we are reluctant to include a release clause and that's what Saka and his team want in the new contract.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:05 pm

theHotHead wrote:I don't understand how we are in this position again so soon after we were in it the last time surely 4 year contracts need to be he minimum for our top players, surely Saka would've signed an extension that kept him at the club for 5 years so the contract renewal cycle would be every 3 years.

I have posted about this on numerous occasions. You are right - i'd go as far as saying 5 year deals should be the minimum though.

3 year deals / 3.5 year deals when renewed mid-season are awful. You end up having to start negotiations for a new contract the very next year unless of course you're Arsenal and are fine letting players run down their deals.

4 year deals aren't much better either though, as soon as 2 years are over the player has you bent over. You either give him more money or he threatens to go into the final year and as such his value plummets / he's able to command a huge signing fee.

You see other clubs tieing players down to 5 / 6 year contracts. Why can't we do that...
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:10 pm

6 year deal with a release clause being: if we don't qualify for the CL within the next 3 years then he can leave for £75m. Otherwise after 3 years he can leave for any club willing to pay £150m
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reiss » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:53 pm

Just won player of the season.

:hail:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:12 pm

If Spurs can keep Son and Kane when they have been performing the way they have for years then we have NO excuses in keeping our own top talent.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:47 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:If Spurs can keep Son and Kane when they have been performing the way they have for years then we have NO excuses in keeping our own top talent.

Very good point !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:49 pm

At this point is it even a discussion/negotiation anymore ?! Arsenal have zero leverage !!

Saka - I want a buy out clause of £xxm

Arsenal - No we can't agree to that

Saka - Cool beans, I won't renew my contract then.

Thats negotiation done then, we either give him what he wants or he won't sign, either way its win/win for Saka. Anyone see it any other way ?!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk