Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby swipe right » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:29 am

I’m sure Pep wouldn’t poach from his dear pal Arteta.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:55 am

Word is that City have offered a deal to Saka now - next year - or when he's a free agent in two years. Never, ever, ever let players run down contracts, will we ever learn?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Hypergooner » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:54 am

EliteKiller wrote:Word is that City have offered a deal to Saka now - next year - or when he's a free agent in two years. Never, ever, ever let players run down contracts, will we ever learn?

I'm not sure how we can stop it. We don't have too much to offer good players these days. We don't play in CL, we can't afford huge salaries and we don't win much. We are a feeder club
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby BexleyGooner » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:08 am

All this City stuff smacks of journos inventing shit to get everyone in a flap during an international break. There’ll be hundreds of stories on this until the start of the season because know fck all journos need to fill their dirty rags.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:56 pm

BexleyGooner wrote:All this City stuff smacks of journos inventing shit to get everyone in a flap during an international break. There’ll be hundreds of stories on this until the start of the season because know fck all journos need to fill their dirty rags.

That is true. But their premise isn’t wrong.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Hypergooner » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:20 pm

We should seriously start putting time limits on contract negotiations. And be bolder in the market. As soon as they have 2 years left, give them till the end of the next transfer window to sign or go up for sale.

Saka is worth over £100m this summer. If he can't decide till the end of next season, he will be worth £50m or less. Given the position we are in with debt, lack of squad depth, no CL football etc. We would be better cashing in on the big money players while we can, if they don’t want to sign. Rather than waiting till they are worthless, not progressing as a team and loosing them anyway.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:41 pm

Hypergooner wrote:We should seriously start putting time limits on contract negotiations. And be bolder in the market. As soon as they have 2 years left, give them till the end of the next transfer window to sign or go up for sale.

Saka is worth over £100m this summer. If he can't decide till the end of next season, he will be worth £50m or less. Given the position we are in with debt, lack of squad depth, no CL football etc. We would be better cashing in on the big money players while we can, if they don’t want to sign. Rather than waiting till they are worthless, not progressing as a team and loosing them anyway.

If it weren't one of our young and promising players, I'd agree with you but selling a player like Saka could really have a negative impact on us. Could lead to other key players looking for the exit or potential signings reluctant to join us. Truth is, we're probably better off going into the season with a player like Saka and securing Top 4, which should then convince him to sign a new deal.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Hypergooner » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:50 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:We should seriously start putting time limits on contract negotiations. And be bolder in the market. As soon as they have 2 years left, give them till the end of the next transfer window to sign or go up for sale.

If it weren't one of our young and promising players, I'd agree with you but selling a player like Saka could really have a negative impact on us. Could lead to other key players looking for the exit or potential signings reluctant to join us. Truth is, we're probably better off going into the season with a player like Saka and securing Top 4, which should then convince him to sign a new deal.

And if we don't and he leaves next summer for pennies? We could buy 2 or 3 quality pros with his transfer value this summer. Or he could just sign the contract

The potential to be sold if he doesn't sign might make him put pen to paper, if he is playing hardball and really enjoys working here

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:09 pm

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:27 pm

Hypergooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

And if we don't and he leaves next summer for pennies? We could buy 2 or 3 quality pros with his transfer value this summer. Or he could just sign the contract

The potential to be sold if he doesn't sign might make him put pen to paper, if he is playing hardball and really enjoys working here

Yes, it's a risk but if we sold Saka this summer support for the manager and that feel of optimism would take a knock. We could take the money but if we spend it on two duds, the fans would turn. Even if we managed to sell Saka for £100m, I can't see us signing two or three players that would automatically convince the fans it was the right choice. You've seen the price tags touted for Gabriel Jesus and Scamacca. Plus it's difficult for us to attract top quality players without CL football. Anyway, so much for players wanting to see Arteta sign a new deal before they commit. Still boils down to how well we perform.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Word is that City have offered a deal to Saka now - next year - or when he's a free agent in two years. Never, ever, ever let players run down contracts, will we ever learn?

This is why a certain banned poster's insistence about us being "ahead of schedule" despite throwing away 4th was transparently shortsighted if not straight up WUMming.

We knew we couldn't keep Saka and others forever so if we wanted to extend them and sell for a fee, we needed to show progress NOW so they wouldn't run down their deals. Progress would have been achieved by having them play CL games in an Arsenal shirt and understanding what it meant to the club and the supporters.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reiss » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:18 pm

He's not going anywhere.

We've got 1 more contract with him.

If we don't improve by the time his next one comes around I think he'll be off.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:14 pm

Manchester City have denied suggestions they are set to move for Arsenal and England forward Bukayo Saka, 20. (Mirror)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Hypergooner » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:48 am

I can't see him leaving this summer and I think he has one more contract with us, but we do need to get smarter with these contracts.
Why didn't we tie him down last season?
Why not do what every other club does and get him to sign by inserting a realistic release clause in?
Put a time limit on negotiations, so we can sell for good value if they won't sign.

Arsenal should employ me to negotiate these contracts! I'd have him signed by now.

Negotiations=
Me - sign this 4 year extension. We love you, the fans love you and you could be a club legend and maybe a statue. We'll pay you £125k per week. If we get in CL we'll pay another £25k. £130m buyout clause which the rich clubs will pay if you keep going as you are and want to leave. If you don't improve they won't want you anyway.

Saka - Yes I'll sign

If saka says no - We can't loose you for nothing as you are too good and we are skint. If you don't sign now, we need to sell you now.

Saka - I don't want to be sold and my mum says I'm not allowed to leave home yet. Give me the contract, where do I sign

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:26 am

Hypergooner wrote:I can't see him leaving this summer and I think he has one more contract with us, but we do need to get smarter with these contracts.
Why didn't we tie him down last season?
Why not do what every other club does and get him to sign by inserting a realistic release clause in?
Put a time limit on negotiations, so we can sell for good value if they won't sign.

Arsenal should employ me to negotiate these contracts! I'd have him signed by now.

Negotiations=
Me - sign this 4 year extension. We love you, the fans love you and you could be a club legend and maybe a statue. We'll pay you £125k per week. If we get in CL we'll pay another £25k. £130m buyout clause which the rich clubs will pay if you keep going as you are and want to leave. If you don't improve they won't want you anyway.

Saka - Yes I'll sign

If saka says no - We can't loose you for nothing as you are too good and we are skint. If you don't sign now, we need to sell you now.

Saka - I don't want to be sold and my mum says I'm not allowed to leave home yet. Give me the contract, where do I sign

Saka - I'd rather wait until next season to sign a deal and see if we achieve a Top 4 finish. If I leave, I'm going to leave for a CL club and would prefer to stay in the Premier League.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk