Bukayo Saka (7)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Bukayo Saka (7)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:24 pm

Power n Glory wrote:If we didn't have Smith Rowe, I'd want to see Saka play through the middle but it looks like he can do damage anywhere on the pitch. Most talented player to come through our academy in years.

No way, not for me, the guy is a winger through and through.

Why would you want to waste his ability to beat a man and be comfortable wide by changing his position?

He's not a pure supplier type guy like Ozil or Zidane, he's a winger who runs, crosses, scores etc he's an excellent winger .......... why would we mess with that?

Saka with his abilities sitting in the 10 just spraying balls around being creative is a waste imo.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:26 pm

If he's fit, he plays. Injuries can happen at any time so play them if available.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:28 pm

I agree with DG, I don't think Saka would be as effective playing centrally as he is playing wide, for me he is more of a LW, LF.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:I agree with DG, I don't think Saka would be as effective playing centrally as he is playing wide, for me he is more of a LW, LF.

Think he is far far better on the right side, not the left.
But yeah agree -he's not a central midfielder.
People see one pass and make snap judgements.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:39 pm

Zenith wrote:Image

This pass is why I'd play him through the middle if we didn't have Smith Rowe and Odegaard. We had games where we played Willock and Lacazette there and they were less suited than Saka.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:54 pm

Zenith wrote:Image

Also worth remembering how ESR operates as a AM. He drifts into wide areas. Example above with this assist to Saka.

As said, if we didn't have Smith Rowe or Odegaard, Saka would have been my choice to play there over Willock and Lacazette. Both Saka and ESR remind me of the attacking mids we used to see under Wenger that could play anywhere in midfield.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:02 pm

I like having him as an outlet out wide, he probably could pull off a 10 as he has so much talent
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:24 pm

People want a playmaker in CM next to Partey, I'm against that and want a DM, but if we are going for a playmaker then I reckon Saka could do the job. Better than Ceballos or Odegaard anyway. He puts himself about more, loses possession less and his passing is much more incisive.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 pm

Why the f**k would we change his position when he's doing so well where he's playing now?
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:03 pm

Exactly, wenger always got crucified for square pegs in round holes and people are trying to push Saka into a non natural position. He can probably handle #10 as emergency but he’s clearly best suited to the wings (even wing back).
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:13 pm

No need to use Saka as a #10 when we have both Odegaard and Smith Rowe. He's killing it on the right wing, so why change that?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:21 pm

Callum wrote:No need to use Saka as a #10 when we have both Odegaard and Smith Rowe. He's killing it on the right wing, so why change that?

I can see the narrative getting hijacked or lost. Original post..

If we didn't have Smith Rowe, I'd want to see Saka play through the middle but it looks like he can do damage anywhere on the pitch.

I wouldn't move Saka whilst he's on hot form but if we ever found ourselves needing a number 10 he and Smith Rowe share similar qualities.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:46 am

Quiet game for Saka. Hopefully he picks up again. Has better chemistry with ESR.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Rockape » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:00 am

Today’s Telegraph:

Academy heroes steering Arsenal to a bright future
Home-grown graduates Saka and Smith Rowe are now offering a glimpse of club’s next generation
Sam Dean
Everyone at the Arsenal academy could see that the 14-year-old Bukayo Saka was a promising player. He had the pace, the strength and a ruthless edge in front of goal that made him impossible to ignore, even at such a young age. What was not so clear, though, was how good he would become and why he was so dominant even at that early stage of his footballing journey.

Young Gunners: Emile Smith Rowe (left) and Bukayo Saka
Young Gunners: Emile Smith Rowe (left) and Bukayo Saka
“He was a huge kid,” says Andries Jonker, Arsenal’s former academy manager. “He was stronger than anybody else, faster than anybody else. He hit the ball through the net. The question was: is this physical power or is this the ability or talent to become a really good player?”

Five years later, time has provided an emphatic answer. Saka’s progress has been so relentless that it is hard to believe there were any doubts at all. As Arsenal prepare to face Tottenham Hotspur today in the north London derby, the academy graduate will be one of the first names on Mikel Arteta’s teamsheet, safely installed in their attack after emerging as, perhaps, their most important player this season.

It has been some rise for the teenager, as well as some triumph for the club.

For all their recent struggles – the slide out of the Champions League, the subsequent financial nightmare and the chaos of the Unai Emery era – it is the academy that is providing hope as they look to take back control of north London from their greatest rivals.

Saka is the leading light, but he is not alone. Alongside him for Arsenal’s best performances this season has been Emile Smith Rowe, who will be in contention to start today if he is deemed fully fit after recent injuries.

At 19 and 20 respectively, Saka and Smith Rowe are showing the way for their club and demonstrating what can be achieved with proper investment and coaching at youth level.

There are others, too. Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock, Eddie Nketiah and Ainsley Maitland-Niles have all been in Arteta’s plans at various stages this season, and all have made significant contributions to the first team.

“When I left at the end of 2019, at the beginning of that season we had six academy players graduate to the first team,” says Steve Morrow, the former head of academy recruitment. “That had never been done before. It is incredible. It is many years of work that has gone into it. When you look at the final result, with Emile and Bukayo and the others that have come through, that is a culmination of work and it does not happen by accident.”

So how have they done it? A key part of the process is not just recruiting these youngsters from across London (Smith Rowe, from Croydon, joined when he was 10, while Saka, from Ealing, arrived at the age of eight), but also keeping them at Hale End, the club’s academy. In the scrap for talent, retaining your best players throughout their teenage years is no easy task.

“You have to work very hard at making the players feel like they are such an important part of the club that they don’t want to leave, that Arsenal is in their blood,” Morrow says. “So when they have that interest from other clubs and the possibility of going to Europe and all sorts of things tempting them, you are in a good position to persuade them to stay. That was certainly the case with Bukayo and Emile.”

One of those clubs who hoped to snatch Smith Rowe away from Arsenal were today’s opponents. “He played against Tottenham for the under-18s and he really stood out,” says David Webb, Tottenham’s former head of elite potential identification, who eventually got his man when he took Smith Rowe to Huddersfield Town on loan in January 2020.

“We tried to bring him in [at Tottenham] before he signed his scholarship at Arsenal, but unfortunately we missed out. He fitted the way that Mauricio Pochettino played and, even at 16, we were looking at him as a player who could progress into the first team.”

This is not to say everyone at Arsenal viewed Smith Rowe as a potential first-team star. He was not, Jonker says, as “outstanding” a talent as Nelson, for example, but he was dependable. “You could always count on the contribution of Emile,” says Jonker, who was the club’s academy manager from 2014 to 2017.

‘You have to work hard to make sure they know they are an important part of the club’
As for Saka, those doubts about his physical advantages, and how much of an edge they were giving him in youth football, evaporated as soon as he entered the first-team environment. Surrounded by better players, Saka did not need to bully his way past defenders or overpower them. Instead he could just play, linking with his team-mates and demonstrating there is so much more to his game than speed and strength.

“Bukayo was always really physically,” Morrow says. “I could see the technical ability and the composure he had in tight areas. That really came out as soon as he started training with the first team.

“He was able to perform better with better players around him, combining with them. Once he got into that environment, he just stayed there. Even for me, it was a surprise how well he did so quickly. He was able to maintain a really high level of performance, and he was able to make the right decisions. When it came to those moments in the final third, when you have a chance to make that special contribution, he was able to do it.”

The coaching of Freddie Ljungberg and Arteta has allowed Saka to develop from there. The same can be said of Smith Rowe, although he took a slightly different path by going on loan to Huddersfield and then RB Leipzig.

The first-team coaches will rightly be credited for having the courage to pick the youngsters, but these are successes that have been years in the making. Together, Saka and Smith Rowe are leading a new generation and promising a brighter future for a club who need their energy and optimism.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Felt his hamstring
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk