Lucas Torreira

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Lucas Torreira (11)

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:27 am

HalHartley wrote:Was piss poor during the 2nd part of the season, like being a player light.

Funny thing my impression was the same ... but arguably that's just not true ... no question the team fell away at the end of the season but all of Lucas's numbers stayed very constant - he was consistently one of our top three players in Europe Napoli - Valencia - even Chelsea ... and his tackles, interceptions, pass completion all remained pretty good and certainly on a par with his first half of the season.

Sometimes playing with turds just makes you look a bit of a turd yourself .... think this happened to Lucas, and that's probably pissed him off just as much as it pisses us all off - at 23 he is definitely not a player we should be letting get away
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby BS221B » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:29 am

#Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira and his girlfriend are reportedly unhappy with life in England and #ACMilan could possibly take advantage of the situation

Ivan Gazidis should come for Xhaka and Mustafi as well.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:16 pm

BS221B wrote:
#Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira and his girlfriend are reportedly unhappy with life in England and #ACMilan could possibly take advantage of the situation

Ivan Gazidis should come for Xhaka and Mustafi as well.

He's the one who hired Emery. He should be the one to take him.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby themessiah » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Torreira was poor second half of the season, certainly compared to the start he made.

Reports on Torreira leaving us are worrying to some extent
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby themessiah » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:07 pm

aniym wrote:His dropoff towards the end was expected. The whole team turned to shit, so to expect a no-name player from Sampdoria to miraculously rise above was always going to be a big ask.

Would you swap him for Kessie?
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:41 pm

These rumours about Torreira to Ac Milan. Complaining about the British weather etc..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:56 pm

rumours of Kessie plus 35m i'd take that.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Torreira for Kessie + €35 million is a no brainer.

Then we can swoop in and get Marcos Llorente (peeved that Zizou doesn't want him tho...) for €40 million.

Boom, midfield is looking a lot better.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:43 am

themessiah wrote:
aniym wrote:His dropoff towards the end was expected. The whole team turned to shit, so to expect a no-name player from Sampdoria to miraculously rise above was always going to be a big ask.

Hell no. We can't waste another year trying to bed in new players. Torreira took a year to get used to the PL, he'll be better next season. With Kessie, it'd be starting from scratch again.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby BrunelGooner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:34 am

aniym wrote:
themessiah wrote:

Hell no. We can't waste another year trying to bed in new players. Torreira took a year to get used to the PL, he'll be better next season. With Kessie, it'd be starting from scratch again.

Part of the reason why Torreira struggled is because he had never played more than 38 games in a season before. Kessie played 54 games in 2017-18 and 42 games last season. From what I have seen of Kessie (admittedly not a lot), he is more powerful and athletic, and he's obviously taller which would be helpful too.

If we were offered €35m + Kessie, it'd be madness to turn that down.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby swipe right » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:51 pm

Kessie was once highly rated. I haven’t followed him for the last 12 months so can’t judge. But he is more powerful, attacking and would be interesting along with Guendozi as a double pivot in the central midfield role.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:20 am

Tbh Torreira fell off big time second half of the season. Kinda like all of arsenal he peaked at that spurs game and was downhill from there. Kinda worries me because xhaka had a promising start like that too. Whats concerning for me is that despite our midfield woes he wasn't anywhere near first name on the team sheet which considering how he's thought of should've been a no-brainer. Obviously emery sees something he doesn't like and is holding him back for some reason. Then again emery has been guilty of having favorites all season. I think it'd be rash to sell him with one on eye such a speculative replacement, only for an undeniable upgrade would I sell him, even then we're only denying the inevitable, we have to buy a 3rd midfielder if emery is gonna get anywhere near his typical 433
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby starmandb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 pm

ALLCAPS_ wrote:Tbh Torreira fell off big time second half of the season. Kinda like all of arsenal he peaked at that spurs game and was downhill from there. Kinda worries me because xhaka had a promising start like that too. Whats concerning for me is that despite our midfield woes he wasn't anywhere near first name on the team sheet which considering how he's thought of should've been a no-brainer. Obviously emery sees something he doesn't like and is holding him back for some reason. Then again emery has been guilty of having favorites all season. I think it'd be rash to sell him with one on eye such a speculative replacement, only for an undeniable upgrade would I sell him, even then we're only denying the inevitable, we have to buy a 3rd midfielder if emery is gonna get anywhere near his typical 433

Played the 6th most minutes of anybody this season
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:52 am

starmandb wrote:
ALLCAPS_ wrote:Tbh Torreira fell off big time second half of the season. Kinda like all of arsenal he peaked at that spurs game and was downhill from there. Kinda worries me because xhaka had a promising start like that too. Whats concerning for me is that despite our midfield woes he wasn't anywhere near first name on the team sheet which considering how he's thought of should've been a no-brainer. Obviously emery sees something he doesn't like and is holding him back for some reason. Then again emery has been guilty of having favorites all season. I think it'd be rash to sell him with one on eye such a speculative replacement, only for an undeniable upgrade would I sell him, even then we're only denying the inevitable, we have to buy a 3rd midfielder if emery is gonna get anywhere near his typical 433

Played the 6th most minutes of anybody this season

Started 24 games. Less than Xhaka (28) and one more than Guendouzi (23). He's no where near a guaranteed started in my eyes
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Reports saying we're in negotiation to sell Torreira, Milan want a loan then poss buy but AFC are pushing for a buy only.

£34m is the reported fee.

I don't know what to make of this, if he is indeed unhappy in England and we make a £12m profit then its something to consider.

But he's our best midfielder which means we'd need to replace him, I'm not sure we would for the money we'd spend.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football