Lucas Torreira

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Lucas Torreira (11)

Postby theHotHead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:49 am

Just sell the dude already and move on !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:06 am

Will try and put some insight on what we can expect financially from Torreira's potential return to Italy based on the information that's currently at our disposal.

With regards to competition for his signature, it's a good thing for Arsenal that multiple clubs are showing concrete interest in Torreira. Though, it's worth noting that neither Torino, nor Fiorentina ever paid a transfer fee in excess of €20m to buy a player.

Torino recently broke the club's transfer record of €13,5m to bring in Simone Verdi for €20m. During the current transfer window, so far, Il Toro have spent €36m on incoming transfers, whilst having made just €11m, taking the clubs balance to €-25m.

If we take Torino's 2020/21 expenditures, as well as the current climate into account, how likely is it that Torino will break their transfer record twice in one transfer window?

As for Fiorentina, their most expensive signing is Juan Cuadrado—and that deal was made over 7 years ago. Since then, they haven't spent more than €17m on a single player. Having spent €37m and sold for €28m, currently, La Viola's balance for the 2020-21 is, so far, -€9m.

Just like would be the case with Torino, it'd take an atypical transfer window from Fiorentina for them to spend big on Torreira.

Moreover, without having insight in their financial capacity, it doesn't appear likely that either club is willing to (never mind able to) fork out a fee in excess of €20m in one single go.

*Figures from Transfermarkt.com
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby LMAO » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:06 am

^ Cheers for that info, Zen.

Sometimes we forget how much money the PL and other top clubs around Europe (e.g., Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG) have in comparison to the rest of the clubs.

In addition to the COVID situation devaluing player worth all over the globe, that really puts the seemingly low or inadequate bid(s) for Torreira into perspective.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Sims » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am

COVID + the clubs interested means an overall loss of about £4m on Torreira really isn’t that bad

If that cash buys us Partey then it’s worth the sale
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:57 am

LMAO wrote:^ Cheers for that info, Zen.

Sometimes we forget how much money the PL and other top clubs around Europe (e.g., Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG) have in comparison to the rest of the clubs.

In addition to the COVID situation devaluing player worth all over the globe, that really puts the seemingly low or inadequate bid(s) for Torreira into perspective.

:cheers:

Another interesting fact is that only 4 Serie A clubs in Juventus (est. 2009), Udinese (est. 2013), Sassuolo (est. 2013) and Atalanta (est. 2017) are sole private owners of their stadium. All other Serie A stadiums are either shared between multiple teams, owned by the state/local municipality, or by third party investors.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:33 am

How times have changed .... I remember when Serie A was THE best league in the world - and the richest too !!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:34 am

It’s funny how things can change in such a short space of time, I remember after his first season AC Milan wanted him and people were worried he might leave us back then we could have got 40M+ based on that debut season...now people are happy for him to leave and all we are going to get is 20M and make a loss.

Thing is he’s not even a bad player only 24 years old, just that injuries and emery playing him as a 10 ruined him. Give him a run of games in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 and you’ll see his best again and suddenly his value would shoot up again.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 am

Yup, Emery put a stain on his career with his foolish decisions. I agree, Torreira isn't a bad player at all, people forget how good he was for us in his first season. I'm at the point now though where we need to decide what we are doing, is he staying or going ! Sort it aht !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 am

KG3 wrote:It’s funny how things can change in such a short space of time, I remember after his first season AC Milan wanted him and people were worried he might leave us back then we could have got 40M+ based on that debut season...now people are happy for him to leave and all we are going to get is 20M and make a loss.

Thing is he’s not even a bad player only 24 years old, just that injuries and emery playing him as a 10 ruined him. Give him a run of games in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 and you’ll see his best again and suddenly his value would shoot up again.

He was actually pretty good first few games under Arteta. He then got injured again and looked very rusty upon coming back - wasn't really given any time to build up match fitness however.

We do tend to have a tendency of giving shit players to much time and not giving players with potential enough time to improve
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Hybrid47 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:41 am

I really liked him when he first arrived and he's never quite recaptured that form. Positionally he was mucked around by Emery which screwed him too.

That said if selling him builds funds to bring in Partey I'm all for it. He'll be heading into his peak years and he's leagues above what we already have.

A midfield of Xhaka, Partey, Ceballos, Aouar, Willian, Saka, AMN, ESRowe and Willock looks pretty good depth wise. Not to mention a few of those players can play multiple positions.

Bring on the Partey!!! :arse fan:
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Zenith » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Fabrizio Romano on AFTV: "He wants to come back to Italy 100%. I am a bit sad. He is a fantastic player. When he was here in Italy, everyone said 'Wow. Wow' - top, top player. He's a trooper. I was so happy when he joined Arsenal." "Fiorentina are trying - they are in talks over a 2-year loan. Torino are also trying. It's Fiorentina vs. Torino for his signature."
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Sometimes good players just don't fit when they move to another club. I like so many aspects of Torreira's game, but clearly he wants to move back to Italy and Arteta isn't a big fan. It happens. I just hope we get some good money for him.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:41 pm

they want 2 yr loan so they can buy him for a song when he's in his final year of contract. Classic Serie A hustle.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:22 am

Roma in for him now apparently (diawara swap rumours are bollocks)

BIDDING
WAR
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Sims wrote:Roma in for him now apparently (diawara swap rumours are bollocks)

BIDDING
WAR
I love how much you believe twitter, I used to be like that lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13