Lucas Torreira

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Lucas Torreira (11)

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:08 pm

Gone backwards after a very good first season. Doesn't look totally match fit to me.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:33 pm

jayramfootball wrote:His strength is cutting out passing lanes, but he's regressed since he got here.
Might be confidence, maybe the injury.
Needs a decent off season and to come back to his early level next year.

He's not happy here and hasn't been for a while.

Those reports of him wanting to go back to Italy were a year ago, he hasn't looked the same since.

I'd sell him, he only really offers a DM role and where that role was needed in a 4-2-3-1 we're not even playing that system anymore, plus he seems unhappy, plus because of that he's not as good as he was.

Even if he was happy / playing well, I don't think you need an out and out DM in a 3-4-3.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 am

He’s not a bad player just that the formation we play at the moment is not ideal for him, in a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 he works very well with the right personal next to him anyways I’m sure we can get a good few for him still very young and talented and we can’t have someone like than on the bench lol we’re not City/Chelsea
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:29 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:35 am

Not lived up to expectation.

Wouldn't be too disappointed to see him go.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:46 am

IMO he’s never had a fair chance, needs a run in the team like some of the others have had.

I’d be disappointed to see him leave unless we found a quality replacement.

Xhaka should be the one sold IMO however.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Sims » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am

Thank u Gazidis, very cool

Like him but just not fit for the prem. poor passer of the ball and lacks presence in midfield
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 am

Özim wrote:IMO he’s never had a fair chance, needs a run in the team like some of the others have had.

He's not as good as Xhaka.

That's reason enough to sell him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Sims » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:03 am

He also doesn’t possess the character or personality of someone like granit

As stupid as that sounds if Arteta wants to build a strong culture you need strong and vocal characters - something Torreira will never really be
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:32 am

With him gone (and 'Douzi), we're down to Xhaka, Ceballos, and Willock. Ceballos isn't even an Arsenal player.

We'd need to bring two midfielders in, minimum. A DM and a CM/ACM. That's excluding Coutinho.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:IMO he’s never had a fair chance, needs a run in the team like some of the others have had.

He's not as good as Xhaka.

That's reason enough to sell him.

You mean he’s not as good as a guy who needs other players to accommodate him in the team and make him look good, a guy who is a liability and whose mistakes more often lead to goals and who kicked off and disrespected the fans and never apologise?

I disagree, I think he’s better, unlike Xhaka though he doesn’t get the luxury of getting of getting picked week in week out regardless of performance, if he did the story might be different.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 pm

That's what I'm saying.

Again it depends on formation for next season.

3-4-3 = We need to re-sign Ceballos and still add +1

4-2-3-1 = We need to re-sign Ceballos and add +2 at the least

Currently we are completely thread bare on CM's and I don't even class Willock as an acceptable pick, he's at least a season away from being even considered as an appropriate stand in, currently he's a reserve player level, not a true 2nd pick.

So right now as laughable as it is, we have Xhaka for midfield and that's it!!

Honestly I think Arteta's plan to move to 4-2-3-1 is a pipe dream at this stage.

Lets say we get Partey, Coutinho and re-sign Ceballos ......... there's still no competition for places, no 2nd choice, we'll have a 1st choice 3 + 1 Deep lying midfielder and that's it, god forbid any injuries to Coutinho or Ceb.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Sims wrote:He also doesn’t possess the character or personality of someone like granit

As stupid as that sounds if Arteta wants to build a strong culture you need strong and vocal characters - something Torreira will never really be

Xhaka isn’t a strong character, he’s the guy that earlier on this season played to avoid getting the ball and threw his toys out of the pram because the fans didn’t think he was gods gift to football, doesn’t sound like a strong character to me.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Sims » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Özim wrote:
Sims wrote:He also doesn’t possess the character or personality of someone like granit

Xhaka isn’t a strong character, he’s the guy that earlier on this season played to avoid getting the ball and threw his toys out of the pram because the fans didn’t think he was gods gift to football, doesn’t sound like a strong character to me.

Xhaka - not Auba - is leading the charge questioning the board as to why there have been over 50 redundancies despite the fact their paycut was implicated that it would save jobs

Not arsed whether someone rates Xhaka as a player in terms of ability, but there’s no question that he’s by far the most captain material, biggest personality and strongest character in the squad

No-one comes close to his level of mentality; and his revitalisation since Mikel has come in is the proof of that

We need players like Xhaka in terms of their mentality (far better ability lol, Partey is a good example) and less like Torreira who seems pretty weak minded & not exactly a prominent character or voice in the dressing room
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:55 pm

Time to Gazidis to pay up to bring him to Milan. No loan BS please, just cold hard cash.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football