2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Might as well get this going considering there’s plenty of talk about tactics going on in multiple threads already.

Going by what has been said in the media and discussions in this forum, I think we can expect Emery’s desired lineup (at least for the half of the new season) to be built around the following:

EDIT: First XI:

EDIT: Second XI:

Assuming the objective for next season is CL qualification by any means and assuming our rivals strengthen as expected, it is essential that Emery, Mislintat, and company correctly identify areas that need to be addressed relative to next season’s objectives, budget, and rivals expected transfer activities. Assuming the above assumptions are accurate, I have prioritized and classified what I feel are signings/positions of importance, by urgency, and in descending order:

Tier 1 (the objective of CL qualification will most likely not be met)
1. No signings

Tier 2 (the objective of CL qualification will most likely be met)
2. CB – Given Koscielny's injury, this position has become priority #1. This player will replace Mavropanos (or possibly Mustafi) in the lineups above and will need to be someone who can come in and start in the first eleven immediately. At a minimum, he needs to be someone better than Koscielny at his peak.
3. CM – This player will replace Xhaka in the lineups above. There is a certain name going about atm that would not be a bad option for this position imo. Hopefully we get him. If not him then the ideal candidate imo would be someone with tons of energy and good defensive qualities. Addressing this position also improves the cover for this position as Xhaka will be one of the first backup options instead of players like Iwobi
4. DM – This player will replace Elneny in the lineups above. I have confidence in Elneny to do what is required of this position given the above lineups and why I have softened my stance on the urgency of this position a bit. However our lack of options in this area is still a concern. Also, another reason why addressing this position is important is because it also takes care of the right back spot as Niles will be shifted to cover for Bellerin and will no longer be required to fill in the middle as much. Besides these two reasons, it would just be nice to have someone that combines Elneny's energy and stamina with more power and authority. Elneny and another DM not only sets us up nicely for many seasons but also gives more time for Niles to develop if he sees himself as a defensive midfielder.

Tier 3 (the objective of CL qualification will most likely be surpassed marginally)
5. GK – Ideally, this player will replace Cech in the lineups above but Ospina could also be replaced if Emery fancies Cech more. Imo, we can just about meet the objective of CL qualification without addressing this position if the players ahead of him can keep the shots against down to a minimum and this can be done if the previous positions mentioned are fixed. In any case, addressing this position will most likely increase our chances of achieving more than just CL qualification (i.e. an additional FA or League Cup trophy). Ideally, we get someone who has the potential to stay with us for many years
6. WM – This player will replace the worse of Welbeck or Iwobi in the above lineups. Assuming the above lineups is accurate, then this player becomes our trump card. He will be vital because we lack a reliable plan B off the bench.

Tier 4 (the objective of CL qualification will most likely be surpassed considerably)
7. CB – This player will replace Mustafi in the above lineups. Mustafi is an error waiting to happen every game and the sooner this position is addressed the better. The fact, however, that we have many other options for this area (including the new CB mentioned previously), reduces the urgency to fill this position a bit
8. LB – This player will eventually replace Monreal in the above lineups. Monreal is on his last legs and Kolasinac is suspect wrt defending. Once Monreal can no longer be relied on, we need to bring in someone better than both Kolasinac and Monreal and a decision needs to be made about the best course of action to take with the latter two.

It is safe to say that every true member of the Arsenal community wants the same thing for Arsenal next season and there’s a chance someone on the social media team or someone at Arsenal will take a gander at the threads in these forums. My hope is that some of the better ideas will be able to be passed on to Emery, Mislintat, and company assuming they're not already being considered
Last edited by CrimsonGunner11 on Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Re: 2018-19 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby Santi » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 pm

4-2-3-1 with Ramsey CAM by the looks of it. Hopefully we buy Draxler or a good winger and put Ramsey CM but Emery somehow controls him.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Ramsey doesn't need to be controlled tbh. Put him next to an actual DM (not a CM who stays deep) and we'll be fine

Or just tell the fullbacks that if Ramsey goes up then they stay back

Simple

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm

There's no DM in the world that can do the job of two people.

The closest is Fernandinho at City but we ain't getting anyone near that quality. Even Barca and Madrid both use a double pivot, either Ramsey acts more like Rakitic/Kroos or he fucks off tbh.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 pm

the only guaranteed starters i think are:

bellerin, nacho, ramsey, özil and aubameyang

who knows whats gonna happen with the rest of the side except its most likely going to be a 4231
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 pm

If I'm going to choose from our current squad I'd go with this .............

Kos and Mustafi can swap for whoever is fkin up less
Welbeck or Perez to sub for the strikers
Wilshere for Ramsey etc
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Fri May 25, 2018 1:21 am

not gonna speculate... but keenly interested to see who and how we line up...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Fri May 25, 2018 1:58 am

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 am

I've put in a 'new singning(sic)' because playing Xhaka, Wilshere or any current player there would leave us totally exposed at the back ...

Buy a world class DM and we will be a totally different side ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 am

With current players

................... Aubameyang.........

...............Ozil.. Ramsey... Mkhitaryan

.................Elneny .....Xhaka....

Monreal...Mustafi... Koscielny.. Bellerin

.........................Ospina.....

Ideally

................... ...Auba......

..... New WF...Ozil.........Mkhi

..... ....New DM....Ramsey

Monreal... NewCB....Koscielny... Bellerin

.......................New GK............
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 25, 2018 5:37 am

I’m willing to give kos and mustafi 6 months under Emeri. They could be transformed with proper tactics and coaching.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 am

Tony_Adams wrote:I’m willing to give kos and mustafi 6 months under Emeri. They could be transformed with proper tactics and coaching.
Kos will be injured for those 6 months lmao

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 25, 2018 6:07 am

Pudpop wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I’m willing to give kos and mustafi 6 months under Emeri. They could be transformed with proper tactics and coaching.
Kos will be injured for those 6 months lmao

Harsh but probably true lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 am

Kos isn't back til new year
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Trequartista » Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 am

Has anyone compiled a complete list of the Arsenal players going to the World Cup? By my reckoning, there aren't that many, so Emery should benefit from a good full pre-season with most of the squad.

He will be missing:

Elneny, Monreal, Iwobi, Xhaka, Ozil, Welbeck, Ospina

Anyone I've overlooked?
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk