2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2018-19 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby LMAO » Tue May 29, 2018 1:46 am

Arsene Nose wrote:So the first two signings of the post Wenger era are Sokratis, a 29 yr old bench warmer at Dortmund, and Lichtensteiner, a 35 yr old full back who is out of contract at Juventus. Catalyst for change? Or more of the same? And now there’s no Wenger to say the manager has the money but doesn’t like to spend.

We need a backup to Hector so he's not playing a million games a season. Lichtsteiner can give us 2 seasons (and he'll be 35 in January).

Sokratis is a head scratcher based on his last performance last season from what I've read, but we also need an older CB since Kos is out of commission and Mert is coaching the youth team now. I won't question Sven's judgment until he gives me reason to do so.

It's not like we need a lot of players either. Imo, going into the transfer window, our needs are: experienced CB, CM/DM, backup RB, GK, winger.

We have 2/5 covered, and the World Cup hasn't even started. Under Wenger, I'd be nervous because I know we'd leave it 'til late and still have glaring holes, but I don't know what to expect from the new setup, so I'm not going to be running around like Chicken Little just yet.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue May 29, 2018 2:47 am

LMAO wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:So the first two signings of the post Wenger era are Sokratis, a 29 yr old bench warmer at Dortmund, and Lichtensteiner, a 35 yr old full back who is out of contract at Juventus. Catalyst for change? Or more of the same? And now there’s no Wenger to say the manager has the money but doesn’t like to spend.

We need a backup to Hector so he's not playing a million games a season. Lichtsteiner can give us 2 seasons (and he'll be 35 in January).

Sokratis is a head scratcher based on his last performance last season from what I've read, but we also need an older CB since Kos is out of commission and Mert is coaching the youth team now. I won't question Sven's judgment until he gives me reason to do so.

It's not like we need a lot of players either. Imo, going into the transfer window, our needs are: experienced CB, CM/DM, backup RB, GK, winger.

We have 2/5 covered, and the World Cup hasn't even started. Under Wenger, I'd be nervous because I know we'd leave it 'til late and still have glaring holes, but I don't know what to expect from the new setup, so I'm not going to be running around like Chicken Little just yet.

Mate,
Let's not be naive. Sokratis is coming in to be a starter along with Mustafi at least through the remainder of 2018. We dont need another squad player. We need a CB pairing capable of us mounting a league channel. This bloke and Mustafi are not that. We have plenty of squad players at CB we need some quality. I dont understand why Koulabaly is not on our list. Right age, profile and attitude but instead we are going with a guy that cant start at Dortmund. Experience without quality is useless to us.
If we are looking for someone to push Bellerin and be a solid backup, then Lichtensteiner is not it. Tomorrow if Bellerin flees to Barca or Juve we wont have anyone to take that position forward. We need a talented new FB who can push Bellerin and be his successor when he inevitably leaves. Not some bloke who's coming to England for the first time at the age of 35.
As far as Sven goes....so far all he's brought to the table are a bunch of disaffected Dortmund players and a Greek kid who got sent of his first game for us.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby yadunoe » Tue May 29, 2018 4:12 am

id rather take a chance on any young cb then sokratis, diop , malang sarr, manama , Tah alot of names out there
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue May 29, 2018 4:17 am

If money is an issue, which it always seems to be with us no matter what our finances, then we should look at getting high potential young players like we did circa 2006. They wont win us anything but it's exciting to see highly talented young players give it a go. Who the fck wants to see Sokratis or Lich put a few more dollars in their pension plans before they cruise into the sunset.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue May 29, 2018 8:09 am

Arsene Nose wrote:If money is an issue, which it always seems to be with us no matter what our finances, then we should look at getting high potential young players like we did circa 2006. They wont win us anything but it's exciting to see highly talented young players give it a go. Who the fck wants to see Sokratis or Lich put a few more dollars in their pension plans before they cruise into the sunset.

No different to when Wenger brought in Gilles Grimandi (27) and Remi Garde (30). Just to steady the ship in the short term. I’m sure we’ll get a few prospects as well (i’m hoping one of Soyuncu or Diallo).
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

Tony_Adams wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:If money is an issue, which it always seems to be with us no matter what our finances, then we should look at getting high potential young players like we did circa 2006. They wont win us anything but it's exciting to see highly talented young players give it a go. Who the fck wants to see Sokratis or Lich put a few more dollars in their pension plans before they cruise into the sunset.

No different to when Wenger brought in Gilles Grimandi (27) and Remi Garde (30). Just to steady the ship in the short term. I’m sure we’ll get a few prospects as well (i’m hoping one of Soyuncu or Diallo).

That was a long time ago. You're not taking on City, Chelsea or United with the 2018 versions of Grimandi or Garde. Besides, we have those types in Monreal and Kos. We now need 2-3 players of top quality in their prime years. Now that Wenger is gone why not push the boat out? Spend 200 mil on a couple of world class players and give the title a go. That's the only positive in my opinion coming out of Wenger's departure.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:04 am

Tbf we already have 3 prospects at cb, chambers, Mav and holding, guess a big part of emerys job is to try and get these guys established, along with AMN, Neilson, iwobi and nkeithah

Bar chambers they cost us f**k all, none of them have established themselves as real arsenal players yet, the club will be desperate to turn them into huge assets.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:As far as Sven goes....so far all he's brought to the table are a bunch of disaffected Dortmund players and a Greek kid who got sent of his first game for us.

Yeah who needs Mkhitaryan and Aubamaeyang, and the best young CB prospect at the club?

Ridiculous post.

Mkhitarayan was a Utd player for starters, Auba one of the best strikers in the world, when's the last time Wenger could even sniff at a player of that stature striker wise? the strikers that loser got us was Danny fkin Welbeck!!! and you have the nerve to diss Sven's current signings???

Unbelievable.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby JayJay08 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Mate,
Let's not be naive. Sokratis is coming in to be a starter along with Mustafi at least through the remainder of 2018. We dont need another squad player. We need a CB pairing capable of us mounting a league channel. This bloke and Mustafi are not that. We have plenty of squad players at CB we need some quality. I dont understand why Koulabaly is not on our list. Right age, profile and attitude but instead we are going with a guy that cant start at Dortmund. Experience without quality is useless to us.
If we are looking for someone to push Bellerin and be a solid backup, then Lichtensteiner is not it. Tomorrow if Bellerin flees to Barca or Juve we wont have anyone to take that position forward. We need a talented new FB who can push Bellerin and be his successor when he inevitably leaves. Not some bloke who's coming to England for the first time at the age of 35.
As far as Sven goes....so far all he's brought to the table are a bunch of disaffected Dortmund players and a Greek kid who got sent of his first game for us.

What if we spent £35m on someone like Seamus Coleman? I think he'd be a really good RB signing.
I also think £3m on Johnny Evans would be really good too.

Our CBs aren't as bad as people are making out to be in my opinion. They just underperformed massively bar mustafi. He was just absolutely terrible. I think Holding, Chambers and Mavropanos are quite good. Especially Holding and Mavropanos.
JayJay08
Liam Brady

Postby GBLShorty » Tue May 29, 2018 4:48 pm

----------Aubameyang-------------
New LW----Ozil----Mkhitaryan
---------New DM--Ramsey-------
Monreal--Kos--New CB--Bellerin
------------------New GK----------------

------------Aubameyang---Lacazette--------
----------------------------Ozil----------------------
---Ramsey--------------------------Mkhitaryan
------------------------New DM--------------------
Monreal---Koscielny---New CB--Bellerin
-------------------------New GK--------------------
GBLShorty
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 29, 2018 5:58 pm

----------Aubameyang-------------
---New AM----Ozil----NEW AM
---------NEW DM--NEW DM-------
NEW FB--NEW CB--New CB--NEW FB
------------------NEW GK----------------

...if we are serious about challenging for anything.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Godlop » Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm

We got alot of holes in the squad and no money.
What kind of signings did some of you expect?

Wenger left our club in a bad shape because of the wage structure, bad signings and the failure to create a true star player we could sell for huge money to madrid, psg or barca.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 pm

I still don’t get why there’s no money
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I still don’t get why there’s no money
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Wed May 30, 2018 5:54 pm

There is money, just not on the level of some of our competitors. City have state-funded oil money, United's revenues dwarf ours, Liverpool have Coutinho money plus a bunch extra from their Champions League run. We also spent £110m on Lacazette + Aubemeyang in the last year alone and gave Ozil a £350k p/w contract.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk