2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2018-19 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby PairyGrows » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:46 am

There are quite a few fans who want to ship out five defenders - myself included. This begs the question: are we dealing with reality anymore?

We're out of the Champions League, and it doesn't look like we'll be there for a while. As a result of becoming a regular Europa League side, our revenues have dropped drastically, leaving little money to invest in the squad. Stan Kroenke has injected zero pounds in the club, and it looks very unlikely he'll change his tune. The club will run self-sufficiently in the future too.

Unless Kroenke changes his ways and pulls out his cheque book, we'll have to hope Mislintat and his team can work wonders on a shoestring budget.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby coolaa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:50 am

if our budget are limited, and if the rumors are true, i would rather spend the money on Suarez and Carrassco, and just played medley, Mavropanos, mustafi and Sokratis. I dun think our young CBs are that much of a problem if we can buy Suarez and Carrassco. The problems of our CBs are they r too small, for CBs, you either have pace or size. Monreal, Mustafi, Lichtsteiner, Jenkinson, Elneny, koscielny all lack both pace and size. Not sure if the manager not starting Medley is ti not hurt the pride of the senior.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 am

Part of me agrees, it'd be great to go out and get two exciting attacking players and try to score our way to the top 4. The realist in me however understands that if we are gonna achieve anything at all, we need a CB
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby coolaa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 am

If we r going to get a CB, would like to sign Manolas. All Greeks at the back is cool.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Part of me agrees, it'd be great to go out and get two exciting attacking players and try to score our way to the top 4. The realist in me however understands that if we are gonna achieve anything at all, we need a CB

I agree that better CB's would help, but I also think that since we don't really have out and out good wingers, then Emery tries to use his fullbacks as wingers, which get caught out almost every time they go up field, then it leaves our CB's isolated and having to spread, which opens up the whole field. So it's also flawed tactics that I think are our problem as well. Combination of both if you will.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:32 pm

We've looked more solid in the last game and a half with 4-3-3 and seeing as that's Emery's preferred formation, I hope he sticks with it now.

We've done needed but maybe too much formation experimenting, 3-4-3 is too end to end almost like 4-4-2 is and it doesn't suit our possession players who like to control the ball and retain a bit of possession.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Emery’s preferred formation has always been a 4231, it was the first thing Pep said about him when he came to England

Got told to play 433 by the PSG hierarchy which is why he used it there
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Sims wrote:Emery’s preferred formation has always been a 4231, it was the first thing Pep said about him when he came to England

Got told to play 433 by the PSG hierarchy which is why he used it there

Its almost the same thing, I can't remember which one he said he preferred when he first arrived but it was def one or the other, I'm sure he said 4-3-3 was his preferred.

Can't be asked to find the quote from summer where he actually stated it but it was def one of those, didn't he say "I prefer 4-3-3 press"?

On here it says 4-3-3
https://www.transfermarkt.com/unai-emer ... ainer/5075

I know at Sevilla it was 4-2-3-1
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 am

To really reliably compete for the top 4 again every season we need the following:

World class CB
Another good first team ready CB
2 first team wingers
First team midfielder (either deep-lying or attacking mid, depending on what system we build towards)
Back-up RB

This is doable, but not easy. That's probably over £100m of investment needed, even if you find good value players.

To compete for the title, we need the following on top of the above:

Back-up striker
First team left back
A world class winger/forward

This is at least an extra £80m and is assuming we can also get rid of all of our unwanted and underperforming players.

I've actually been quite conservative here, because despite the problems I do believe we have some quality in our squad that just isn't being realised right now. Even so, needing at least 9 new, quality players whilst not increasing the wage bill, is an enormous task. Not one that can be achieved in a year. Possibly not for a lot longer than that. We are in a shit situation and need to manage our expectations accordingly
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby coolaa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:53 am

I agree that we have a team that is good enough to challenge top 4, but the manager is not utilizing the sqaud and start annoys me that he is deploying his team like Wenger.

1) without a creative player like ozil, he should put one of his CM to be super energetic. None of Torreira, Xhaka or Guendouzi are like that. So the manger have no choice but must play Iwobi, AMN or Ramsey as one of the CM.

2) b4 welbeck's injury, it is okay to play 2 strikers. But now, Aubameyang and Lacazette stamina clearly drops before the end of the game. If u want to keep them lethal through out the 90mins, guess we must only start 1 of them, unless we r getting a new striker.

3) neglecting the importance of height in CB position is stupid. Look at the avg height of the CB for the rest of top 6 team.

4) Xhaka, Mustafi are constantly making deadly and most basic error. Drop them until they learn, evenly Elneny can play a better CB than Mustafi if we r playing 3CBs, he makes less silly short passing than mustafi and definitely less risky fouls in the box. And xhaka? As a DM, his tackle is poor, I would rather have Geundouzi to play that role, stick to a man that he needs to mark and no stupid tackles. Also this kids passing is no worse than Xhaka.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:42 am

Ramsey gone.
Cech retiring.
Ozil will most likely leave.
Lacazette unsure because of the Unai treatment.
Bellerín to Barca is still a possibility.

By the start of next season, our line-up:

Leno
Niles - Mustafi - Papa - Monreal
Xhaka
Torreira - Guendouzi
Nelson/Mkhi/New - Auba - Iwobi

:hiding:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 pm

You’re forgetting the (C) next to Xhaka
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby knowledge93 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Sims wrote:You’re forgetting the (C) next to Xhaka

That would be running salt to the would. Awful team with Xhaka as captain. Dark times ahead. Let's hope some miracle happens.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 am

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyGGTj6VcQ&t=1342s [/youtube]

Good analysis I would like to see his dimaond team to
Laca pea

Ozil

Iwobi Ramsey

Torriera

You have to say Emery from an expirencedd point of view has been very boring

I thought a new manager would have at least tried Ramsey in cm for a few games to see if he could get him to play as a disciplined cm like 13/14, I thought we would have at least seen an effort to find a way for ramasey and ozil to both play.

I also thought we might have seen pea and Laca be played as a two, neither have been tried enough at all considering how much we have struggled to create.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby coolaa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 pm

2 starting defenders and our senior striker all ruled out for the rest of the season. Incredible.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk