2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2018-19 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Callum wrote:There is money, just not on the level of some of our competitors. City have state-funded oil money, United's revenues dwarf ours, Liverpool have Coutinho money plus a bunch extra from their Champions League run. We also spent £110m on Lacazette + Aubemeyang in the last year alone and gave Ozil a £350k p/w contract.

We still turned a profit last year so we can't use laca and auba, the money should be there
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Santi » Wed May 30, 2018 7:30 pm

So f***ing what? We're gonna keep earning less if we don't spend the money to get back into the top 4, we're gonna keep earning less if we don't get back to the top of the premier league as our merchandising and brand will falter.

I still don't believe it but if there is only 50m is complete BS. The quickest profit in football is player values anyway, look at Coutinho 8m to 130m in a few seasons.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 am

Callum wrote:There is money, just not on the level of some of our competitors. City have state-funded oil money, United's revenues dwarf ours, Liverpool have Coutinho money plus a bunch extra from their Champions League run. We also spent £110m on Lacazette + Aubemeyang in the last year alone and gave Ozil a £350k p/w contract.

Are you Ivan in disguise?
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby JayJay08 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:13 am

Perhaps they're hiding the actual amount of money they have to spend? If we announced that we have a £250m budget then teams will be demanding extortionate fees for players that we want to sign.
JayJay08
Liam Brady

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu May 31, 2018 9:30 am

Or perhaps its so that when we make bargain basement signings the fanbase respond with ‘but he’s not a bad signing when you consider our budget’.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Or perhaps its so that when we make bargain basement signings the fanbase respond with ‘but he’s not a bad signing when you consider our budget’.

Yeah but they'll only get away with that this window.

I honestly think its because of the Auba £60m January signing that we've got a smaller budget than £150m.

I'm happy to let them get on with it until Emery settles in and we see how he sorts the team out.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:30 am

With the players that we have brought in and that we recognise the need of a winger with the likes of Pavon, Martins and Vasquez being touted, I find it a bit ironic that the player who fits the bill perfectly and would run riot in an attack containing miky, auba, ozil and benefit most from the defensive qualities of torri, Stephan and papa is Alexis Sanchez.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:02 am

Would be very happy to see torreira and NZonzi join.
In addition I think we need some action on the right wing. Rather than buying a player could we convert Welbeck or Iwobi to play there or give Nelson a chance?
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 am

Arsene Nose wrote:Would be very happy to see torreira and NZonzi join.
In addition I think we need some action on the right wing. Rather than buying a player could we convert Welbeck or Iwobi to play there or give Nelson a chance?

Right wing is Nelsons' natural position and where I think he needs to be deployed if given the opportunity in order to give him his best chance of showcasing his talent and huge potential. I don't agree that wide right is where we are deficient considering that Mhikitaryan plays that position. The left wing forward position vacated by Sanchez is what is in need of attention. Granted the Armenian can effectively operate from the left too but the outstanding performances and player of the season accolades at Dortmund were achieved with him predominantly on the right. That those accolades and performances were intrinsically linked with the Santa's sack full of goals he provided for Aubamayang, that relationship needs to be retained and nurtured not altered.

Welbeck is a central striker who has the athletic ability to play from the left or right. The consecutive and lengthy injuries have curtailed some of the energetic effectiveness evident in the earlier part of his career and prior to his first injury with us. His versatility has also worked against him as it often does with utility type players and why I think he's not a suitable candidate to be converted to right winger, just not his game unless you want a Walcott-esque type winger again.

Iwobi has not mastered his own game yet but that he seems naturally two footed and skilful is why I get the consideration. However, I think his game is more akin to Ozil than Pires/Overmars/Limpar as classic wingers.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESR10 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:44 am

Given Ornstein is right (as always) and we are done with our transfers are finalising the Torreira deal. Our squad would look like this:

GK: Leno - Cech - Martinez - Ospina - Macey
RB: Bellerin - Lichsteiner - Jenkinson
CB: Sokratis - Koscielny - Mustafi - Chambers - Mavropanos - Holding
LB: Kolasinac - Monreal
DM/CM: Torreira - Xhaka - Ramsey - Neny - Niles - Bielik - Willock - Da silva
AM/Wingers: Özil - Mkhi - Iwobi - Nelson - Jeff
Strikers: Aubameyang - Lacazette - Lucas - Welbeck - Nketiah - Akpom

From this lot I think we should get rid of:
- 2 GK: Ospina and Martinez (loan)
- RB: Jenkinson
- CB: Holding (loan), when Koscielny returns by January sell Mustafi.
- Midfielders: Iwobi (loan), Jeff (loan)
- Strikers: Akpom

I think 4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-3 would get the best out of the squad:

For the PL in easier home games:
Auba - Laca
Özil
Ramsey - Mkhi
Torreira
Kolasinac - Sokratis - Chambers - Bellerin
Leno

For tougher games:
Özil - Auba - Mkhi
Xhaka - Torreira - Ramsey
Kolasinac - Sokratis - Chambers - Bellerin
Leno

For the EL:
Lucas - Nketiah/Welbz - Nelson
El Neny - Niles
Bielik
Monreal - Mustafi - Mavropanos - Lichsteiner
Cech

I think we would have good chances to get back into the top 4 and also win the EL (depend on the first line up in later stages)
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:17 pm

No matter what happens Auba has to play CF.

You can't have a world class CF shoved to the wings just to accommodate both Auba and Lacazette.4-3-1-2 would be cool though.

Auba - Laca
Ozil
Ramsey - Xhaka - Torreira

This could easily translate into a 4-3-3:

Laca - Auba - Ozil
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Angelito wrote:No matter what happens Auba has to play CF.

You can't have a world class CF shoved to the wings just to accommodate both Auba and Lacazette.4-3-1-2 would be cool though.

Auba - Laca
Ozil

Laca - Auba - Ozil

Why do you have Xhaka as the anchor?

Surely Torriea should be central?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:No matter what happens Auba has to play CF.

Auba - Laca
Ozil

Laca - Auba - Ozil

Why do you have Xhaka as the anchor?

Surely Torriea should be central?

Xhaka as my deepest CM as he'd have enough time and space to dictate the game from deep. Torreira would be the all-action defensive-minded midfielder who'd break opposition play and chase balls because he has the energy and pace. That would enable Ramsey to do what he does best: arrive late in the box and pose serious attacking threats.

Playing Xhaka further up won't help him as he won't find the space or time to play his usual passing game.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:12 pm

am no tactician.... but i am very curious to get a feeling for what Unai thinks of Xhaka... for me, he has to be phased out, too ponderous and is notreally a good defender... torito is capable of spraying passes and is actually, humbly, a more solid threat to actually score.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 am

As a result of the self inflicted starvation diet we have been on, I think most gooners are struggling to comprehend why we have retained a number and variety of experienced midfielders and actively sought to add more with the ingredients to make the existing more effective, efficient, functional and productive.
Before for example, Ramsey would be on good form and the driving force of a winning team, then get injured only to be replaced by someone completely different e.g. Elnenny, or an inexperienced youngster packed full of potential but not what we NEEDED to maintain our momentum. Now, only Maitland-Niles is in line to get a chance and by that I mean a proper chance in a bonafide team as opposed to one consisting of a young and uncertain centre half, a limited and uninspiring goal keeper, an out of form attacking midfielder and or the out of sorts striker just back from injury but with no genuine competition for his shirt. That scenario is the polar opposite of the environment young inexperienced players like Cole and Fabregas came through and why no one else has since, bar Jack.

We haven't had a top notch DM since Gilberto Silva so I for one have no issues if we were to end up with 2 in Torriera and N'zonzi. Whilst alot of our football has been fit for the top table and received acclaim, too often we have been found wanting physically and appearing to have brought a knife to a gunfight.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk