2018-19 Squad Analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2018-19 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby Sims » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:02 pm

we'll have Auba LW who'll act more of an striker with Ozil drifting between them

ramsey xhaka torreira midfield
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby island_gunner » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Sokratis - Kola
Guendouzi - El Neny - Smith Rowe
Mkhi - Auba - Ozil

Leno
Lichsteiner - Chambers - Holding - AMN
Torreira - Xhaka - Iwobi
Reiss - Laca - Eddie

I expected most of this lineup for today's game against Lazio based on who started against Chelsea and I know how people can get on this forum , being very dismissive or quick to argue but I'm simply asking if despite our two best players Auba/Ozil being in one lineup .....
is it really a foregone conclusion that Wednesday's starters would beat today's starters ? :dontknow: :hiding:

try to be civil guys smh lol
island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:56 pm

fwiw, will say it again, putting bellend in the first team all the time is not what i want to see.
50/50 or 60/40 lichtsteiner for me
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby coolaa » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:33 am

my 1st team

Cech
Lichsteiner Sokratis Mavropanos Monreal
Torreira AMN
Mkhi Ozil Laca
Auba

2nd team:
Leno
Bellerin Mustafi Holding Kolasinac
Xhaka Guendouzi
Welbeck Ramsey Iwobi
Nketiah

Good to have quality youngster like ESR, Nelson, Osei-Tutu

I would never play any of the two from Sokratis, Mustafi, Kos; a pairing CB way to short for the premiership.

Too bad Chambers is loaned to Fulam, otherwise I would have picked him ahead of Mustafi or Koscielny. And neither am I saying Holding or Mavropanos is individually a better player than Mustafi/ Kos, but size does matter in this league...

I think having Torriea and AMN in midfield is like having work rate of 3 players; Ramsey, never really rate him other than his Yr 2013-14 performance.

I like Lcaa on the left, think he is our only player that can make good crosses with both feet, and I just cannot see how on earth we don't play our best goal scorer Auba not in the striker position....
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm

coolaa wrote:my 1st team

Cech
Torreira AMN
Mkhi Ozil Laca
Auba

2nd team:
Leno
Bellerin Mustafi Holding Kolasinac
Xhaka Guendouzi
Welbeck Ramsey Iwobi
Nketiah

Good to have quality youngster like ESR, Nelson, Osei-Tutu

I would never play any of the two from Sokratis, Mustafi, Kos; a pairing CB way to short for the premiership.

Too bad Chambers is loaned to Fulam, otherwise I would have picked him ahead of Mustafi or Koscielny. And neither am I saying Holding or Mavropanos is individually a better player than Mustafi/ Kos, but size does matter in this league...

I think having Torriea and AMN in midfield is like having work rate of 3 players; Ramsey, never really rate him other than his Yr 2013-14 performance.

I like Lcaa on the left, think he is our only player that can make good crosses with both feet, and I just cannot see how on earth we don't play our best goal scorer Auba not in the striker position....

I think you make some very valid points with good reasoning to explain why.

I agree that our senior centre backs having a significant lack of height is tantamount to swimming in shark infested waters with an open wound regards the premier league, even without Drogba and Costa who used to treat our defense like a drunk devouring a kebab.

Logic dictates that fitness aside, the combative no nonsense style we've added with Sokratis has him taking 1 of the spots. He plays on the right and it has already been demonstrated that neither Mustafi or Holding are comfortable at left centre back. That leaves Mavropanos who did ok there, but would Emery be so bold as to pair the Greeks and rely on an unproven young defender?

However, the good leadership qualities and defensive nous of our Dads army full backs may be enough to help the kid succeed.

I agree with your assessment of the likely work rate a pairing of Torreira and Maitland-Niles would provide. However, I think Guendouzi is a step ahead of the latter and seemingly more accustomed to the role, probably because he hasn't had a multitude of positions to play. More importantly, he also has that bit of arrogance for want of a better word, that I saw in the likes of Shearer, Rooney, Gerrard and both Keane's when they broke through. They just look like they belong.

I proposed that Laccazette should fill the void left by Sanchez last season and believe he could be devastating from that left wide forward position. However, the partnership he's formed with Aubameyang with the Gabonese on the left instead with him central has resulted in goals for both.

With Emery renowned as a clever tactician we might even see them swap role's for particular games. If Aubameyang on the left continues scoring at the rate he has done before I for one won't be complaining, especially if the Frenchman benefits from it to be filling his boots also.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:22 pm

My team for first couple of games-
Cech
Montreal( if available)/Maitland-Niles Sokratis Mustafi Bellerin
Torreira Xhaka
Mikhi Ozil Auba
Lacazette

Going with experience and proven quality against tough opponents.

Later on we can bring in El Neny and Goungdouzi to strengthen the middle in place of two forwards to draw a game or hold a lead.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ESR10 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Emery confirmed today that the only players who still could leave are Ospina, Jenkinson and Campbell (Lord Welbz is staying. I hope he doesn't get a new contract though)

Our squad, if these 3 left:

GK: Leno, Cech, Martinez
RB: Bellerin, Lichsteiner
CB: Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Mavropanos, Koscielny
LB: Monreal, Kolasinac
DM/CM: Torreira, Xhaka, Ramsey, Neny, Guendouzi, Niles
AM: Özil, Mkhi, Welbeck, Iwobi, Nelson, Smith-Rowe
ST: Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nketiah
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby arsenalpan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm

ag6789 wrote:My team for first couple of games-
Cech
Montreal( if available)/Maitland-Niles Sokratis Mustafi Bellerin
Torreira Xhaka
Mikhi Ozil Auba
Lacazette

Going with experience and proven quality against tough opponents.

Later on we can bring in El Neny and Goungdouzi to strengthen the middle in place of two forwards to draw a game or hold a lead.

How would you prove that Xhaka has proven quality, not to mention 'against touch opponent'?
And how do you define the quality of a midfield player?
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

In the cold light of day, the reality is that Arsene Wenger has left us almost exactly as he found us. A team on the periphery of things with a collection of players in dire need of redirection for the most part and relocation for the other 20% or so.

At this moment in time we are as relevant to the title race or top teams in Europe as we were in 1995, or if anything, even less so now. And remember, '89 and '91 were not the distant fading memories of a remaining few.

A bit like the film 'The Others', many of our fanbase are in denial that we have already passed away, snuffed it and kicked the bucket and are now nothing but ghosts looking through the window of the top four believing that we are still part of the living. Time to let go people, that Arsenal has expired.

If we had filled the Emirates for 2 hours to watch a montage of Xhaka's performances for Borussia Monchengladbach prior to his purchase, the consensus would have been to buy, buy, buy as he displayed a lot of the qualities we had lacked in our midfield, especially since Santi got crocked. Our Xhaka is a very pale imitation of the version seen in Germany.

It's easy to be clever after the fact, and whilst I still believe that there is a good player in there somewhere, time waits for no man.

That we never ensured the capture of N'zonzi or an alternative sentinel like defensive midfielder who could allow for the Swiss to finally flourish, could be a telling factor that our midfield is being pointed in another direction.

The ramifications of this could equally curtail Ramsey's influence on the team, as he too can only operate effectively with someone who not only understands the anchor role but is willing to almost act as his valet.

However, tactical switches and consideration of likely attritional battles do give good scope for his retention, provided that not starting every game doesn't result in dummies being spat out.

With this in mind along with the 4;2;3;1 formation, Torreira and Guendouzi should form the base of our midfield with Elneny as the next most suitable to step in and retain the dynamics of a pair providing the platform for the forward element of the midfield and attack, balanced with shielding the defense.

In that I think we might have real gems in the little Uruguayan and the kid, the rebuilding is underway but we're still a long, long way off from being a Phoenix risen from the ashes.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby KingChrome » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:52 pm

---------------Aubameyang--Lacazette-----------
-----------------------------Ozil-------------------------
Mkhitryan----------------------------------Bellerin
-------------------------Torreira-----------------------
Monreal----Koscielny--Sokratis-Lichtsteiner
---------------------------Leno--------------------------

flog Ramsey who ain't worth 300k a week and look at buying a better winger, convert Bellerin for the time being so he does not have to defend.

No worrys about Lich's pace then on the right side either.
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

Postby KingChrome » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 pm

or this

--------------------Ozil---Aubameyang---------- (think Bergkamp and Henry, Ozil deployed as a shadow striker)
Mkhitaryan--Ramsey--Torreira------Bellerin
Monreal-----Koscielny--Sokratis--Lictsteiner
----------------------------Leno-------------------------
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:06 am

coolaa wrote:my 1st team

Cech
Torreira AMN
Mkhi Ozil Laca
Auba

I don't think you could be more wrong ... Auba is not a number 11 not even close ... Auba has to be wide using his pace to run onto the ball ... the fact is we have spent feck knows how much on strikers and still don't have a number eleven ...

Can't change that so to get the best out of what we have we need to play with two strikers one left one right but fully inter-changeable ... behind them we need Ozil with a free role in the center at the head of a diamond ...

Cech
Lichsteiner - Sokratis - Mavropanos - Monreal
Torreira
Bellerin - Mkhi
Ozil
Laca - Auba

We need to defend better .... the goals will come ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby KingChrome » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:31 am

The issue with Lacazette and Auba playing together is that they are both poachers and will probably get in eachothers way, i agree with what you said about Auba and the wing also, how it stands now i would have rather had Giroud and Auba or Laca as a starting pair, Target man and poacher combo.

I prefer having a bigger stronger player or a creative player playing alongside a pacey 'fox in the box'
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

Postby Sims » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:04 am

i dont think Laca is a poacher at all.

he is f***ing great on the ball and is a really good passer, he drops deep like firmino at times, can be perfect foil for Auba to almost have that LW role like Ronaldo did at Madrid
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:23 am

Given the players we have I would play the following.

Auba—Laca—Ozil
Ramsey—Xhaka—Torreira

Torreira - the Kante style ball winner
Xhaka - as playmaker and metronome
Ramsey - as B2B ball carrier and late link ups
Ozil - like Mahrez for Leicester where he stays in an advanced position and drifts in
Auba - for pace and width down the flanks
Laca - as a 9.5
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk