Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll runs till Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
18
30%
No
18
30%
Unsure
16
26%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
9
15%
 
Total votes : 61

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Dejan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Another win

UNAI THE DON

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(


Image
User avatar
Dejan
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24186
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Santi wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Santi wrote:Again, same abomination of a squad that daddy wenger got to the semi, lost by 1 goal to the winners due to a fvcking lucky bounce/defensive error and then we added 70m worth of talent to.

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Do you think Emery will get knocked out by some Romanian pubbers or a mid table Serie A team? We played no one until the Semis. That's where the competition starts, basically. And we were embarrassed by Atletico who played the entire away leg with 10 men.


How were we embarrassed? First of all we took the game to them in the first leg and could've easily been a few goals up and probably should've been, but lets ignore that shall we? They got a red card and are the best team equipped to deal with it because they already play so f***ing defensive they know exactly how to cover the gap created.
We went 1-0 up eventually and then unfortunately conceded a shit goal.

We also gave a decent account of it at the Wanda, a very tough place to go and lost by 1 goal. So how exactly is it an abomination of a squad now when Emery has the extra power of Auba (EL), Torreira, Papa, Leno, Guendouzi and Lichtsteiner? Okay the latter looks pretty shit but better than not having a backup for Bellerin.

The point is not who we faced, it's that Emery has to AT LEAST get to the EL semi to have done anything worthwhile. Wenger in his shittest form with his shittest ever team did it. People like to keep reminding us how bad Wenger was or how bad the squad is but if it's so easy then let's watch Emery win it shall we? I'll be happy if he does but that's his only remaining hope for me.

I don't really give a f**k what Wenger did last year anymore, it's just that people act like this squad is shit when it's not. Perfectly capable of 4th place and perfectly capable of winning EL.

You brought up us being knocked out by a team that played the first leg with 10 men as a positive. Enough said about the quality and standards of this squad. :rofll:

I guarantee now that Emery isn't getting knocked out by anyone other than Chelsea, Napoli or Inter and Wenger didn't face any competition like that on his way to the Semis. I fully believe we can win the EL and we're still the joint favorites to win it alongside Chelsea.
User avatar
Jedi
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Sims » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 pm

Jedi wrote:
Santi wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Santi wrote:Again, same abomination of a squad that daddy wenger got to the semi, lost by 1 goal to the winners due to a fvcking lucky bounce/defensive error and then we added 70m worth of talent to.

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Do you think Emery will get knocked out by some Romanian pubbers or a mid table Serie A team? We played no one until the Semis. That's where the competition starts, basically. And we were embarrassed by Atletico who played the entire away leg with 10 men.


How were we embarrassed? First of all we took the game to them in the first leg and could've easily been a few goals up and probably should've been, but lets ignore that shall we? They got a red card and are the best team equipped to deal with it because they already play so f***ing defensive they know exactly how to cover the gap created.
We went 1-0 up eventually and then unfortunately conceded a shit goal.

We also gave a decent account of it at the Wanda, a very tough place to go and lost by 1 goal. So how exactly is it an abomination of a squad now when Emery has the extra power of Auba (EL), Torreira, Papa, Leno, Guendouzi and Lichtsteiner? Okay the latter looks pretty shit but better than not having a backup for Bellerin.

The point is not who we faced, it's that Emery has to AT LEAST get to the EL semi to have done anything worthwhile. Wenger in his shittest form with his shittest ever team did it. People like to keep reminding us how bad Wenger was or how bad the squad is but if it's so easy then let's watch Emery win it shall we? I'll be happy if he does but that's his only remaining hope for me.

I don't really give a f**k what Wenger did last year anymore, it's just that people act like this squad is shit when it's not. Perfectly capable of 4th place and perfectly capable of winning EL.

You brought up us being knocked out by a team that played the first leg with 10 men as a positive. Enough said about the quality and standards of this squad. :rofll:

I guarantee now that Emery isn't getting knocked out by anyone other than Chelsea, Napoli or Inter and Wenger didn't face any competition like that on his way to the Semis. I fully believe we can win the EL and we're still the joint favorites to win it alongside Chelsea.


“The Gang Loses to Borisov”
Image
User avatar
Sims
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 29241
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Nuggets » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:24 am

With the sh1te he inherited he is doing a good job.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 winner
Predictions League 2016-17 winner
 
Posts: 15353
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am

People are in denial about how garbage our team is and has been for years.
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 am

Team is good for top four. Manager is wank.
Good: Pepe, Tierney
TBD: Salibas, Martinelli
Panic buys: Cebellos, Luiz
swipe right
Ian Wright
Ian Wright
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 am

He didn't inherit shite, that is a myth perpetrated by people that can't see straight and fantasy football warriors.

Here is why:

2017/18 we finished on 63 pts. Top team had 37 points more. Scored 74, conceded 51.
2016/17 we finished on 75 pts. Top team had 18 points more. Scored 77, conceded 44.
2015/16 we finished on 71 pts. Top team had 10 points more. Scored 65, conceded 36.
2014/15 we finished on 75 pts. Top team had 12 points more. Scored 71, conceded 36.
2013/14 we finished on 79 pts. Top team had 7 points more. Scored 68, conceded 41.

We all know how bad last season was, so lets remove that from the equation as an anomalie. In the 2013/14 season we scored 9 goals less and conceded 3 less goals than in the 2016/17 season. If our squad is shit now according to some, just how bad must it have been in 2013 too, with a similar points total !! Our football was miles better in 2013.

Lets look at key personnel changes from 2013 to 2018:
Leno - in
Torreira - in
Guendouzi - in
Aubameyang - in
Lacazette - in
Xhaka - in
Mustafi - in
Iwobi - in
Elneny - in
Cech - in
Sanchez - in/out
Welbeck - in
Ozil - in
Bellerin - in

Wilshere - out
Cazorla - out
Oxlade-C - out
Walcott - out
Giroud - out
Coquelin - out
Shezza - out
Podolski - out
Diaby - out
Vermaelen - out
Bendtner - out
Gervinho - out
Chamakh - out
Denilson - out

I'm struggling to see how we are worse off player wise now than we were before. Look at the players we got rid of. the only names on that list that I have regrets about are Cazorla and Sanchez. I'm at least excited about Auba, Laca, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ozil and Bellerin. So I don't agree that Wenger left a shit squad, because if this is a shit squad now, how f***ing terrible was it before then !!! :hiding:
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Luzh 22 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 am

It's pointless looking at past players, because the quality of player in the Prem is so much better now.

Relatively, our current squad is not going to be competing with the best squads the Prem has to offer at the moment. That's all that matters. Past players are the past, and they have no relevance on the now.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
User avatar
Luzh 22
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Jedi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:22 am

theHotHead wrote:He didn't inherit shite, that is a myth perpetrated by people that can't see straight and fantasy football warriors.

Here is why:

2017/18 we finished on 63 pts. Top team had 37 points more. Scored 74, conceded 51.
2016/17 we finished on 75 pts. Top team had 18 points more. Scored 77, conceded 44.
2015/16 we finished on 71 pts. Top team had 10 points more. Scored 65, conceded 36.
2014/15 we finished on 75 pts. Top team had 12 points more. Scored 71, conceded 36.
2013/14 we finished on 79 pts. Top team had 7 points more. Scored 68, conceded 41.

We all know how bad last season was, so lets remove that from the equation as an anomalie. In the 2013/14 season we scored 9 goals less and conceded 3 less goals than in the 2016/17 season. If our squad is shit now according to some, just how bad must it have been in 2013 too, with a similar points total !! Our football was miles better in 2013.

Lets look at key personnel changes from 2013 to 2018:
Leno - in
Torreira - in
Guendouzi - in
Aubameyang - in
Lacazette - in
Xhaka - in
Mustafi - in
Iwobi - in
Elneny - in
Cech - in
Sanchez - in/out
Welbeck - in
Ozil - in
Bellerin - in

Wilshere - out
Cazorla - out
Oxlade-C - out
Walcott - out
Giroud - out
Coquelin - out
Shezza - out
Podolski - out
Diaby - out
Vermaelen - out
Bendtner - out
Gervinho - out
Chamakh - out
Denilson - out

I'm struggling to see how we are worse off player wise now than we were before. Look at the players we got rid of. the only names on that list that I have regrets about are Cazorla and Sanchez. I'm at least excited about Auba, Laca, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ozil and Bellerin. So I don't agree that Wenger left a shit squad, because if this is a shit squad now, how f***ing terrible was it before then !!! :hiding:

There's several players missing that have left the club. You're also failing to account for the decline in quality of some players due to age/injuries.

I mean just look at 13/14 and compare the squads.

Backline
13/14 Gibbs > 18/19 Monreal/Kolasinac
13/14 Koscielny >>> 18/19 Koscielny
Mertesacker >>> Sokratis/Mustafi
Sagna >>> Bellerin >>> Maitland Niles

Midfield
Prime Arteta, Prime Cazorla, God mode Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere, Flamini, and even Rosicky

Forwards
Better strikers in 18/19 but we had actual width in Walcott, Ox, Podolski and Sanchez and a fit Welbeck later.
User avatar
Jedi
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 am

Our back line was better, Kos and Merts were top but defensively we were still poor and regularly got those almighty beatings from top teams.

I NEVER rated Arteta, too slow and a shit defender. You are right, I did miss out some players, the likes of Song, for example who again was fooking shit - for the same reasons as Arteta - just more clumsy. We still have Ramsey so no point including him. Apart from Cazorla the midfield back then was poor. Wilshere had a decent season maybe for us, other than that, nothing to write home about. Flamini the second time around was terrible. Rosicky was a phenom but hard to include him because he played so few games because of injury. I would take Torreira and Guendouzi over every one of the midfielders of 2013 - apart from Cazorla and Rosicky.

Like you say, up front its night and day, then compared to now. The sum of the team in 2013 was definitely better than the parts, how Wenger got that lot to play the football they did is a mystery - but he managed it.
Last edited by theHotHead on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6095
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 am

It's pointless comparing players. We were playing Huddersfield!

We wanted a better coach. A better tactician. A coach that could motivate the players and spark a winning mentality. We should be taking a deeper look at those things because we're never going to be able to outspend our rivals.
Power n Glory
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 am

Arguing over which year we had better players is a pointless exercise ... all that matters is the standard of our squad versus our rivals today ... not our squad versus last season or five years ago.

If you look at the top six combined how many players from Arsenal would start? possibly Auba up front, but probably Kane and Salah ... just who else?

It might not be true that our squad has got weaker, but it is true that all our rivals have got stronger. That's not Emery's fault he's added Torreira and Guendouzi probably the best potential we now have ... Leno is an OK no 2 keeper ... Sokratis and Lichtsteiner were stop gaps ...

I'm not convinced by Suarez but as it's only a loan we can make our mind up in May ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3538
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am

EliteKiller wrote:Arguing over which year we had better players is a pointless exercise ... all that matters is the standard of our squad versus our rivals today ... not our squad versus last season or five years ago.

If you look at the top six combined how many players from Arsenal would start? possibly Auba up front, but probably Kane and Salah ... just who else?

It might not be true that our squad has got weaker, but it is true that all our rivals have got stronger. That's not Emery's fault he's added Torreira and Guendouzi probably the best potential we now have ... Leno is an OK no 2 keeper ... Sokratis and Lichtsteiner were stop gaps ...

I'm not convinced by Suarez but as it's only a loan we can make our mind up in May ....


Even comparing this squad to the top 6 is pointless. Regardless of opinions on who is world class and decent in this squad, we're not performing well. Also, we know as a club we won't spend our way out of trouble. It all comes back to coaching. The players we have in the squad won't disappear over night. Even if we buy, we may still see games where Iwobi, Xhaka and Mustafi play. Heck, Emery may even see some of the least popular players as key players that he's willing to start every week and build around.
Power n Glory
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Jedi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:10 am

I agree that our rivals are stronger than ever today, but our squad is definitely weaker too. This isn't a controversial point, there is no discussion to be had here. Emery inherited the worst squad in the Wenger era by some distance.
User avatar
Jedi
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4533
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:27 am

Jedi wrote:I agree that our rivals are stronger than ever today, but our squad is definitely weaker too. This isn't a controversial point, there is no discussion to be had here. Emery inherited the worst squad in the Wenger era by some distance.


So if we can all agree on that point. Where do we go from there? Because I see a lot of excuses going on and people doing as much as possible to look anywhere but the manager. Fans made the same mistakes with Wenger and why he was never held accountable.
Power n Glory
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: theHotHead and 7 guests