Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby LMAO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:22 pm

LMAO wrote:Still think what we need is a Simeone or a Klopp - someone who can work miracles on a budget.

GW reading comprehension at an all-time low. Where in here did I advocate specifically for Klopp?
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:28 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:KLOPP ISN'T COMING!!

Not sure why everyone keeps talking about him or any top manager like they are even an option!

We were in this situation last year, Simeone turned us down, Allegri turned us down, Touchal turned us down, so did Jardim from what I remember.

We were having to consider Brendan fkin Rogers and Mikel "I've never managed before" Arteta.

Where were these big names lining up?

Some of you lot are delusional as sh*t, wake up, we can't attract a top tier manager because they know we have a sh*t owner, no financial backing, yet the club still insists on CL as a minimum.

All we offer as a club is a lot of expectation but without the tools to do it, who the fk would want to come here?

Yet you keep comparing Emery who is the best of the Upper Mid-Tier managers to the elite.

Its like having Ford Mondeo money but cussing it down because it can't perform like a Ferrari, its asinine.

Jesus...nobody is talking about signing Klopp. Relax. It's about trying to finding the next top manager that hasn't already signed with a major club.

So you missed the ENTIRE point of what I was saying, its not about Klopp, its about any top manager wanting to even come here.

"trying to finding the next top manager that hasn't already signed with a major club"

What for? why would they want to come? we had this situation already when Wenger left and they all passed, what's changed?

Fk all, that's what.

Man's are acting like we didn't get turned down from every top manager out there, Emery, Arteta, Vieira and Brendan Rogers were the only people who even took the interview.

Take a break. All the doom and gloom sounds pretty pathetic and depressing and there is no point in talking with people that wallow in self pity. We're still Arsenal and I hate to see this sort of weak mentality.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:EK easy. Who in Liverpool's back line gets into ours? VVD. Who else? Robertson? Sokratis and Kos are better than their other CBs.

Midfield, who? Torreira is a better DM than Fabinho and Henderson, Ramsey is a better box to box midfielder than Wijnaldum and Keita. Offensive midfielders, Ozil is better than any they have (Shaqiri, Lallana). Their front line is better than ours. If you go through their squad, man for man, theirs does not blow ours away at all, that's why I can say what I say.

We agree on something because I don't think Liverpool or Spurs for that matter have a fully stacked squad of dream team players. It's just the form and how they play for their respective clubs.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:EK easy. Who in Liverpool's back line gets into ours? VVD. Who else? Robertson? Sokratis and Kos are better than their other CBs.

Midfield, who? Torreira is a better DM than Fabinho and Henderson, Ramsey is a better box to box midfielder than Wijnaldum and Keita. Offensive midfielders, Ozil is better than any they have (Shaqiri, Lallana). Their front line is better than ours. If you go through their squad, man for man, theirs does not blow ours away at all, that's why I can say what I say.

We agree on something because I don't think Liverpool or Spurs for that matter have a fully stacked squad of dream team players. It's just the form and how they play for their respective clubs.

They have better squads than us without a doubt
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Not sure why everyone keeps talking about him or any top manager like they are even an option!

We were in this situation last year, Simeone turned us down, Allegri turned us down, Touchal turned us down, so did Jardim from what I remember.

We were having to consider Brendan fkin Rogers and Mikel "I've never managed before" Arteta.

Some of you lot are delusional as sh*t, wake up, we can't attract a top tier manager because they know we have a sh*t owner, no financial backing, yet the club still insists on CL as a minimum.

All we offer as a club is a lot of expectation but without the tools to do it, who the fk would want to come here?

Yet you keep comparing Emery who is the best of the Upper Mid-Tier managers to the elite.

Its like having Ford Mondeo money but cussing it down because it can't perform like a Ferrari, its asinine.

Jesus...nobody is talking about signing Klopp. Relax. It's about trying to finding the next top manager that hasn't already signed with a major club.

So you missed the ENTIRE point of what I was saying, its not about Klopp, its about any top manager wanting to even come here.

"trying to finding the next top manager that hasn't already signed with a major club"

What for? why would they want to come? we had this situation already when Wenger left and they all passed, what's changed?

Fk all, that's what.

Man's are acting like we didn't get turned down from every top manager out there, Emery, Arteta, Vieira and Brendan Rogers were the only people who even took the interview.

Take a break. All the doom and gloom sounds pretty pathetic and depressing and there is no point in talking with people that wallow in self pity. We're still Arsenal and I hate to see this sort of weak mentality.

What you just wrote makes no sense at all.

I offered you a dose of reality and you think its me who has a weak mentality?

There is no doom and gloom from me, just the facts.

I'm happy to back our manager, if your not and your sitting there deluded expecting some top class manager to walk through the door and save us then more fool you ............. again, we had this process just 12 months ago already unless you've forgotten.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby elber » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

gooney wrote:If he doesnt make top 4 he deserve the sack. 3 of the ast 4 defeat and outplayed by 10 men in 80 min in a lucky win. Small time manager. Been saying this for months.

If he doesn’t make either top4 or win the Europa after the position we were in this time last week then he deserves the bullet for sure.
elber
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Ach » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:33 pm

Most wins in first 50 games of any arsenal manager but we should sack him cos we lost a couple.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:57 pm

LMAO wrote:
LMAO wrote:Still think what we need is a Simeone or a Klopp - someone who can work miracles on a budget.

GW reading comprehension at an all-time low. Where in here did I advocate specifically for Klopp?

It's unbelievable at times.

But yes, we need that sort of manager. I'm sure the discussion was had before Wenger finally left and regardless of how much time he gets, I think Emery has the sort of traits that won't suit a club like ours. The constant rotation of players and team selection is part of his overall strategy. At first I thought he was just trying to find the right balance but that doesn't seem to be the case and the tinkering is a genuine strategy.

I don't think he's going to get far doing it that way. World class players won't like the constant chopping and changing. I'd also say our lack of consistency and cohesion has a lot to do with the rotation and system swapping. Time will tell but so far I'm not convinced.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Jedi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:16 pm

gooney wrote:Klopp wouldnt waste wages and space on suarez when he has youngster like saka. He has shown faith in young players and improved them. Klopp wouldnt go a whole season without an away win with a club like seville. Nor would he fail to win the easiest most one sided league in Europe

Saka is 17 years old and nowhere near ready for first team action, what are you talking about?

The youngest player who features for Klopp is Trent Alexander-Arnold who is already 20. Everyone else is like 24+.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Fk all, that's what.

What you just wrote makes no sense at all.

I offered you a dose of reality and you think its me who has a weak mentality?

There is no doom and gloom from me, just the facts.

I'm happy to back our manager, if your not and your sitting there deluded expecting some top class manager to walk through the door and save us then more fool you ............. again, we had this process just 12 months ago already unless you've forgotten.

Again...you still don't get it. A Klopp like, Simeone type means the sort of managers that punch above their weight with smaller clubs on a budget and weren't considered top class managers until they pulled off what they did with Dortmund and Atletico.

How is this so hard to understand? You need to kick away this loser mentality. We're still Arsenal and even if we have owners that aren't ambitious, the fans at least need to keep some sort of ambition alive. Just accepting this second rate rubbish served up will kill us off quickly. The last few years of Wenger were bad enough and I suspect a lot of fans lost their interest in the club and I'd also say years of being too passive bought Wenger more time at the club that he didn't deserve.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Jedi wrote:
gooney wrote:Klopp wouldnt waste wages and space on suarez when he has youngster like saka. He has shown faith in young players and improved them. Klopp wouldnt go a whole season without an away win with a club like seville. Nor would he fail to win the easiest most one sided league in Europe

Saka is 17 years old and nowhere near ready for first team action, what are you talking about?

The youngest player who features for Klopp is Trent Alexander-Arnold who is already 20. Everyone else is like 24+.

Saka already got mins in the europa and did well. Why did he gofor suarez? Just wasted money
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:48 am

gooney wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Saka already got mins in the europa and did well. Why did he gofor suarez? Just wasted money

Yeah because that's our main problem, a loan for cover?

If someone got injured then what?

Everyone's lost their heads round here, what sort of AFC supporters are you?

We're in the EL Semi Finals and we're fighting for top 4, even if we don't get it, that's more than what we thought we'd get this season.

On top of that Utd, Spurs and Chelsea have all been fkin up just as much as us, hence why we still have a shot.

No new manager is coming, Emery has at least another season and even after that if we have the same level of manager candidates we did last year they'll probably extend his contract.

What we need is better players, all this train them up BS, you either have talent or you don't.

Who's going to train up Elneny, or train the mistakes out of Mustafi?

Emery needs his own players not Wenger's left overs then we can really judge him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 am

Liverpool conceded just 20 goals in 35 games, but according to you our defence has 4/5 'better' defenders, yet we have conceded 46 goals .... are you trying to be taken seriously?

Torreira - 23 year old midfield player with just 30 games and 2 goals under his belt ... sure he's one for the future but to even pretend he's better than a whole list of quality proven EPL midfield players is just daft ... come back in a couple of years time with that one.

Ramsey is gone ... forget him

Ozil is a feckin' nightmare ... great talent no heart ... sucks the life out of the club both financially and emotionally ... and the fact NOBODY wants him just bears that out.

When teams get 20% more points than us three years in a row, and when those same teams also reach CL semi finals ... then they have better squads than us, just suck it up.

Emery is in year one of a five year project, he has a squad not just behind but a long way behind his rivals, he will need at least two more seasons to try and put that right ... it took Pep three years, Klopp three years, Poch five years ... us fans need to take off the glasses and accept the truth, keep deluding yourself and you will just keep being disappointed.

But don't despair either - Liverpool last season conceded 38 goals, 42 the year before - it can all turn around very quickly once you accept the truth that what we need some serious upgrades.
Last edited by EliteKiller on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:04 am

I have no idea how it has come down to this for Arsenal fans. I knew that we have some weird fans but I never expected this division over a man who's a mere employee at Arsenal.

With Wenger, it was his legendary stature that brought the divide. With Unai, what?

It's simple.

If we win the EL, it'd be a massively successful campaign. We'd be winning our first UEFA Cup/EL, and our first European trophy since the CWC in 1993. It would also be our first European Final since 2006 and only our third European SF in the last 10 years.

If we fail to win the EL, but finish in the top-4, this wouldn't be any different from all those drought years, except we'd have done it in the most unenthusiastic and plodding manner possible. Still, a good first season for Unai Emery and a great one for Arsenal to be back in the UCL.

The aforementioned are the best scenarios.

Now, let's say if we reach the final, lose it, and finish out of the top-4. That'd be tough luck but Unai deserves a transfer window and another season—depending on where we stand at the end of the year.

If we're knocked out by Valencia and finish out of the top-4, I'd still give Unai Emery another season; review of course during November/December to see where we stand.

It's clear cut.

As Gooney says, we're a very reactive bunch. Sometimes, we have to be proactive. It's that lack, which resulted in us missing out on Klopp and even Pep, who wanted to come here. City jumped at the chance to sign Pep even if Pellegrini was doing well there. City's best UCL campaign came under Pellegrini. They won the title, 2 League Cups as well.

Unai Emery isn't at the level of Klopp, Pep, Simeone, Conte, etc. I don't think that's really arguable. But at the moment, he's Arsenal manager. And I hope we at least get into the UCL. EL is boring. Win the EL and be done with it. I miss us in the CL.

I don't care about the Prem this season, or the top-4. It's all about silverware. There's only one. Unai, it's your competition; let's do it.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:39 am

Angelito wrote:I have no idea how it has come down to this for Arsenal fans. I knew that we have some weird fans but I never expected this division over a man who's a mere employee at Arsenal.

With Wenger, it was his legendary stature that brought the divide. With Unai, what?

It's simple.

If we win the EL, it'd be a massively successful campaign. We'd be winning our first UEFA Cup/EL, and our first European trophy since the CWC in 1993. It would also be our first European Final since 2006 and only our third European SF in the last 10 years.

If we fail to win the EL, but finish in the top-4, this wouldn't be any different from all those drought years, except we'd have done it in the most unenthusiastic and plodding manner possible. Still, a good first season for Unai Emery and a great one for Arsenal to be back in the UCL.

The aforementioned are the best scenarios.

Now, let's say if we reach the final, lose it, and finish out of the top-4. That'd be tough luck but Unai deserves a transfer window and another season—depending on where we stand at the end of the year.

If we're knocked out by Valencia and finish out of the top-4, I'd still give Unai Emery another season; review of course during November/December to see where we stand.

It's clear cut.

As Gooney says, we're a very reactive bunch. Sometimes, we have to be proactive. It's that lack, which resulted in us missing out on Klopp and even Pep, who wanted to come here. City jumped at the chance to sign Pep even if Pellegrini was doing well there. City's best UCL campaign came under Pellegrini. They won the title, 2 League Cups as well.

Unai Emery isn't at the level of Klopp, Pep, Simeone, Conte, etc. I don't think that's really arguable. But at the moment, he's Arsenal manager. And I hope we at least get into the UCL. EL is boring. Win the EL and be done with it. I miss us in the CL.

I don't care about the Prem this season, or the top-4. It's all about silverware. There's only one. Unai, it's your competition; let's do it.

If a clear out comes and the club says we have made many bad decisions over tge years and will take a hit this summer by moving half of the squad I would get behind them. Mustafi, xhaka, ozil, mikhi, leichsteiner, el nenny, chambers, jenkinson all have to leave. Half of them can be replaced by the u23. I hate this we rather buy a suarez as backup than promote a youngster. I feel like I been saying the same thing the last 2 years. We need drastic changes and Im not gonna get behind a man I believe dont have the courage and convictions to bring that. At best 2-3 players will leave.

Even if he was cowered. I would get behind him if I saw anything indicating he is a good coach. We lool lost out there. Its been over 50 games and I cant say what an emery side looks like
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football