Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby starmandb » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Ach wrote:Apparently he's got the most wins from first 50 games as Arsenal manager than any other arsenal manager.

Legend

In my time
Bertie mee won 19 of his first 50
Terry Neil won 21
Don Howe won 23
George graham won 27
Bruce rioch won 22 of 46
Wenger won 22
Emery has won 32
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Well, he needs to work some more magic because Rambo may be out for the rest of the season. He might be a passenger for a lot of the minutes he plays, but he comes through with important goals and assists, which we'll need more than ever going into the last stretch.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 am

aniym wrote:Well, he needs to work some more magic because Rambo may be out for the rest of the season. He might be a passenger for a lot of the minutes he plays, but he comes through with important goals and assists, which we'll need more than ever going into the last stretch.

We have Ozil and we have Mkhitaryan, we need to start learning to live without Ramsey, he's gone in 2 months.

Its not like Ozil is a shady talent.

Tbf we did well before and after he went off.

He's a good player and will be missed if we don't replace him but we have a few players who can play the same position now, let alone after the window.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:48 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Nuggets » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 am

gunnor wrote:Emery doing amazing so far. I'm here to say one thing. If Emery gets us top 4 + Europa League, I don't want to hear Wenger's name EVER AGAIN.

In over 20 years Wenger has won NOTHING in Europe. Couldn't even see out a 1-0 win against 10 man Atletico Madrid. Our invincibles crumbled against Chelsea in the Champions League. By the time Wenger left he turned Arsenal into a LAUGHING STOCK in Europe and yet we just slapped Italy's second best team without conceding a single goal.

If we beat Chelsea in the final of the Europa League which could easily happen, Wenger will have been outdone in Europe in a single season by Emery. (We had great seasons in CL under Wenger I admit but we ultimately won nothing and actually we bottled a lot of those even though we played nice football but after 2011 we became a JOKE in Europe.)

I'm getting ahead of myself but Emery's doing well. Still can't believe we didn't get rid of Wenger sooner, we also could have had Klopp whose FIRST CHOICE was Arsenal not Liverpool.

/end rant

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:19 am

Well said gunnor
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:21 am

Some harem scarem moments yesterday but I was pleased with the team selection and the subs, Emery got it right yesterday.

And people were praying to get past Napoli LOL. Its not the same Napoli under Sarri.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 am

Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:
A trophy-less season awaits us and there is no top-4 to salvage our season or add money in the bank. Yet, for some here, Arsenal didn't exist before 17/18.

Lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Don't get ahead of yourself. :naughty:

A European SF already matches last season. Now, let's win it.

Ignoring the fact that we will probably be favourites for 3rd at the end of the weekend despite you saying top 4 was gone

Okay, Jose.

It was gone as far as I'm concerned. That's what I said. Until the return of Ozil, that is. At that point, there were some weird stuff going around with our tactics and subs. Cannot deny that.

Credit to Unai for learning from his mistakes, doing what was needed, and getting us back on track. Since then, I've had no complaints, which I've reiterated.

Then again, we've finished top-4 for 20 of the last 22 seasons. I want us back in the UCL. And it'd be a great season if we did finish in the top-4. It's, however, been done for many times before, so it's not a monolithic accomplishment.

What I'm more excited is at the possibility of winning the EL. Now, that would be a monolithic accomplishment.

And, please wait until the end of the season before trotting out with the money walk. There are still a lot of twists and turns left.

Zenith wrote:Image

Will probably be attacked by the same crowd again, but as some of us have said, we really don't have as bad a squad as projected. It's still mostly the Wenger players. Yesterday, save for Sokratis and Torreira, we won with Wenger players out there.

That doesn't mean we have to worship Wenger. We can give credit to Wenger for leaving behind a healthy, albeit uneven side, whilst also crediting Unai for stamping his vision and authority on the squad.

We were in good hands. We seem to be in good hands.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:50 am

Wenger won 24 of his last 50 games
starmandb

Postby dc16 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:11 am

Angelito wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:
A trophy-less season awaits us and there is no top-4 to salvage our season or add money in the bank. Yet, for some here, Arsenal didn't exist before 17/18.

Lol

Ignoring the fact that we will probably be favourites for 3rd at the end of the weekend despite you saying top 4 was gone

Okay, Jose.

It was gone as far as I'm concerned. That's what I said. Until the return of Ozil, that is. At that point, there were some weird stuff going around with our tactics and subs. Cannot deny that.

Credit to Unai for learning from his mistakes, doing what was needed, and getting us back on track. Since then, I've had no complaints, which I've reiterated.

Then again, we've finished top-4 for 20 of the last 22 seasons. I want us back in the UCL. And it'd be a great season if we did finish in the top-4. It's, however, been done for many times before, so it's not a monolithic accomplishment.

What I'm more excited is at the possibility of winning the EL. Now, that would be a monolithic accomplishment.

And, please wait until the end of the season before trotting out with the money walk. There are still a lot of twists and turns left.

Will probably be attacked by the same crowd again, but as some of us have said, we really don't have as bad a squad as projected. It's still mostly the Wenger players. Yesterday, save for Sokratis and Torreira, we won with Wenger players out there.

That doesn't mean we have to worship Wenger. We can give credit to Wenger for leaving behind a healthy, albeit uneven side, whilst also crediting Unai for stamping his vision and authority on the squad.

It's a good squad which, with a few additions that have been identified on here and hopefully by Emery, could blossom into something quite special.

He has done really well in my opinion. I love his attitude and philosophy about balance and finding the balance both within the team and within individuals.

I will forgive him the tinkering he did earlier in the season, although it was frustrating, I think it was a mix of him trying out players in different positions and rotations to see what he really had to work with before and during the January window. At least he had the presence of mind and lack of ego to dump it and move on to a more stable. Look at Chelsea and Sarri, despite all the issues he has maintained the same stubborn approach and although you could say they are in pretty much the same position as us, I would certainly pick our squad and style of play over Sarri's any day of the week. (Bar Hazard of course)

Injuries have hampered him as well. We do miss Holding and Bellerin for me was the biggest injury of the season.

Roll on the next couple of months. Let's enjoy the ride and the fight for potentially a huge European trophy and a return to the big stage and hopefully the club will back him in the summer. A few new additions with some pace on the wings is what I would like to see.

:arsenal3:
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:31 am

He’s doing a good job but he bores me. I miss Wenger’s madness. Like when he’d throw on an attacker in the 70th min while defending a two goal lead, or go all summer without signing a player and say no one was available. Watching Emery is like watching a train arrive on time. Boring.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:18 am

Angelito wrote:It was gone as far as I'm concerned. That's what I said. Until the return of Ozil, that is. At that point, there were some weird stuff going around with our tactics and subs. Cannot deny that.

The only reason we've improved is our CBs returning to fitness. Has literally nothing to do with Ozil. We scored bags of goals before and after his return.

And if we're going to credit anyone in offense for improving us that is Ramsey.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Dejan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:23 am

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:It was gone as far as I'm concerned. That's what I said. Until the return of Ozil, that is. At that point, there were some weird stuff going around with our tactics and subs. Cannot deny that.

The only reason we've improved is our CBs returning to fitness. Has literally nothing to do with Ozil. We scored bags of goals before and after his return.

Agree.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:35 am

Angelito wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Lol

Okay, Jose.

Either way wenger is shown to be rubbish. Either he left us with a rubbish squad or he left us with a decent squad he failed to get the best out of.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am

Jedi wrote:

Well thats rubbish for a start, we still concede loads and still look likely to concede from every attack other teams launch. The catalyst ro us playing well again was when Emery stopped being so negative - it was obvious which games they were, we played the shittest football I have seen us play in the Premier League era.

He brought back Ozil (he had to) and he played Ramsey as well. He also played with both Laca and Auba. THAT'S when we started to play well again, had f**k all to do with getting defenders back.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football