Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Losmeister » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:thehothead is the biggest fanboy i have ever seen

dear god

You are the biggest d***head I have ever seen. You f***ing lemming

Rough day at the office?

we should have a poll on how the hot head got his handle...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:44 pm

lmao lovely wednesday evening viewing this
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Losmeister » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Sims wrote:lmao lovely wednesday evening viewing this

GW at it's best
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

dear god

You are the biggest d***head I have ever seen. You f***ing lemming

Rough day at the office?

On the contrary, pretty damn good. Managed to fit in a 10k run during my lunch break too. Just being honest, I say it how I see it :)
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:30 am

Losmeister wrote:
Dejan wrote:looool triggered

why you even bother is beyond me...

Dunno why he bothers either, so you are not alone.

Anyway I better play nice, in this world full of snowflakes that we live in, I need to try not to live up to my name.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm

gooney wrote:The worst thing with emery will be the same issue with wenger. Because use the owner is absent and the board is clueless....he will get so many excuses while he himself is not good enough. Part of the lie we were told were told was he will give youth chance. But its clear he prefers older players. Its criminal saka hasnt got a chance yet as wide player after his promising performance. Ameachi is another one. We have our most promising youth setup in years. But he prefers to play auba out of position. He could give jordi osei-tutu a chance at right back. He is just not a manager that promotes youth

Misery loves company
Torreira age 22 2145 mins
Bellerin 23 1533
guendouzi 19 2080
Iwobi 22 1789
Holding 23 1317
Maitland-niles 21 968
Willock 19 270
Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11
Ages and minutes under emery this season
At Sevilla
Europa league winners
Alberto Moreno Perez 21
Diogo figueiras 23
Sergio Rico 21
Thimothee kolodzieczac 23
David Soria 23
Psg trophy winning teams
Presnel kimpembe 21
Julian draxler 23
Adrian rabiot 21
Marquinhos 23
Yacne adli 17
Gonçalo Guedes 20
Giovani lo colso 21
kylian mbappe 18
Stanley n'soki 18
Christopher nkunku 20
Timoth weah 17
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby gooney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 pm

starmandb wrote:
gooney wrote:The worst thing with emery will be the same issue with wenger. Because use the owner is absent and the board is clueless....he will get so many excuses while he himself is not good enough. Part of the lie we were told were told was he will give youth chance. But its clear he prefers older players. Its criminal saka hasnt got a chance yet as wide player after his promising performance. Ameachi is another one. We have our most promising youth setup in years. But he prefers to play auba out of position. He could give jordi osei-tutu a chance at right back. He is just not a manager that promotes youth

Misery loves company
Bellerin 23 1533
guendouzi 19 2080
Iwobi 22 1789
Holding 23 1317
Maitland-niles 21 968
Willock 19 270
Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11
At Sevilla
Europa league winners
Alberto Moreno Perez 21
Diogo figueiras 23
Sergio Rico 21
David Soria 23
Psg trophy winning teams
Presnel kimpembe 21
Julian draxler 23
Adrian rabiot 21
Marquinhos 23
Yacne adli 17
Gonçalo Guedes 20
Giovani lo colso 21
kylian mbappe 18
Stanley n'soki 18
Christopher nkunku 20
Timoth weah 17

Stats can be twisted....if you are sayinf emery is giving our youth a chance.....then we live in different world. Counting europa leaguesvs farmers to stat pad. Lol
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm

gooney wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Misery loves company
Bellerin 23 1533
guendouzi 19 2080
Iwobi 22 1789
Holding 23 1317
Maitland-niles 21 968
Willock 19 270
Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11
At Sevilla
Europa league winners
Alberto Moreno Perez 21
Diogo figueiras 23
Sergio Rico 21
David Soria 23
Psg trophy winning teams
Presnel kimpembe 21
Julian draxler 23
Adrian rabiot 21
Marquinhos 23
Yacne adli 17
Gonçalo Guedes 20
Giovani lo colso 21
kylian mbappe 18
Stanley n'soki 18
Christopher nkunku 20
Timoth weah 17

Stats can be twisted....if you are sayinf emery is giving our youth a chance.....then we live in different world. Counting europa leaguesvs farmers to stat pad. Lol

Not stats but facts
Not aware that any farming stock ever played forbenfica or Liverpool in Europa league finals
Mavrapanoshas been injured
Came on at champions at city
Nkethiah came on v spurs in the league cup
Torreira , bellerin , guendouzi,iwobi holding and maitland- niles have all featured against
Man city Liverpool Spurs Chelsea man Utd
The other 6 with an average age of 19 have played minutes here and there just as young Arsenal players have done in all the time I have been going
Way below he average age of the club that have had the youngest team this season
Everton 24.5
starmandb

Postby Goonerz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:33 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Good post Jedi, was going to say something similar about the "Comparing him to Wenger's worst" as well.

Fact is all of you guys criticising are missing a couple of major points.

1) Emery has to think of results over style of play ........ because he's not Wenger and doesn't have the 9 lives and grace that Wenger had, all he has to live on is his results.

2) Its all fair a well saying "Emery needs to stick with a style of football" but have you considered the reason why he's changing it so much is maybe because he doesn't have the right players to execute it properly?

I think he's made it clear what he wants from day one, he said straight away he prefers 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, he said he likes a high press, he's recently made it abundantly obvious he feels he needs Wingers for this.

But what are AFC giving him? he wanted Ramsey as a central figure and the old regime let him walk on a free, he wanted wingers and all he got was a loan attacking mid who's always been a bench option, he wants 1st choice players but his squad has been decimated by injuries, no transfer funds, nothing, bar 4 players we got for a total of £50m he's stuck with Wenger's squad and no money to replace them.

If anything he's overachieved, he's matching if not bettering the results of a manger who had total power here and was here for 22 years where this squad was his through and through.
people say he's not getting the best out of them yet we're in the same position as the man who actually wanted these players so he's not doing worse is he ......... with someone else's squad.

The whole point is he is supposed to have a seasons grace at least, one season of backing.

Now I don't expect that from the Wenger Inns for obvious reasons but the others I think its actually worse, if Emery is doing things you don't like then let him fall on his sword, he doesn't have Wenger's protection so he won't be here for 20 years so stop panicking.

........... in fact there's only 4 months left in this season and he could get fired in summer, I'd invite you to hold your sh*t together for the next 4 months before having meltdowns.

What a mature and objective post.
Kudos to you mate.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:33 pm

starmandb wrote:

Misery loves company
Bellerin 23 1533
guendouzi 19 2080
Iwobi 22 1789
Holding 23 1317
Maitland-niles 21 968
Willock 19 270
Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11
At Sevilla
Europa league winners
Alberto Moreno Perez 21
Diogo figueiras 23
Sergio Rico 21
David Soria 23
Psg trophy winning teams
Presnel kimpembe 21
Julian draxler 23
Adrian rabiot 21
Marquinhos 23
Yacne adli 17
Gonçalo Guedes 20
Giovani lo colso 21
kylian mbappe 18
Stanley n'soki 18
Christopher nkunku 20
Timoth weah 17

Lol
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:06 pm

dear god

Lol
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

starmandb wrote:

Misery loves company
Bellerin 23 1533
guendouzi 19 2080
Iwobi 22 1789
Holding 23 1317
Maitland-niles 21 968
Willock 19 270
Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11
At Sevilla
Europa league winners
Alberto Moreno Perez 21
Diogo figueiras 23
Sergio Rico 21
David Soria 23
Psg trophy winning teams
Presnel kimpembe 21
Julian draxler 23
Adrian rabiot 21
Marquinhos 23
Yacne adli 17
Gonçalo Guedes 20
Giovani lo colso 21
kylian mbappe 18
Stanley n'soki 18
Christopher nkunku 20
Timoth weah 17

he has used some kids to rest players in meaningless matches

Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11

these players are not trusted, but sure use stats to argue emery is a manager who gives kids a chance
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:35 pm

gooney wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Misery loves company
Bellerin 23 1533
guendouzi 19 2080
Iwobi 22 1789
Holding 23 1317
Maitland-niles 21 968
Willock 19 270
Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11
At Sevilla
Europa league winners
Alberto Moreno Perez 21
Diogo figueiras 23
Sergio Rico 21
David Soria 23
Psg trophy winning teams
Presnel kimpembe 21
Julian draxler 23
Adrian rabiot 21
Marquinhos 23
Yacne adli 17
Gonçalo Guedes 20
Giovani lo colso 21
kylian mbappe 18
Stanley n'soki 18
Christopher nkunku 20
Timoth weah 17

he has used some kids to rest players in meaningless matches

Nketiah 19 270
Smith rowe18 402
Saka 17 123
Pleguezuelo 22 90
Medley 18 64
Gilmour 19 21
Mavrapanos 21 11

these players are not trusted, but sure use stats to argue emery is a manager who gives kids a chance

As a fan who wants to win trophys I don't share your definition of meaningless games
Willock has played 180 mins in the Europa league before we were qualified and in the fa cup where you only qualify for the next round if you win
Same applies to smith Rowe 174 mins
Nketiah 179 mins including 23 mins in the league cup v Spurs we were 2 down at Chelsea at the start of the season and scored twice in 4 mins it can be done
Those 4 mins go into 11
The amount of mins that Mavrapanos came on for at city after injury
I think you and some of the negative nellys believe a game is lost at 2 down
I don't believe you are ever beat till that final whistle goes
I hope emery shares the sentiment
The winning from losing positions in 3 games
The winning from drawing positions in 3 games
The drawing from losing positions in 2 games
Encourages me that he might
Medley 37 mins
Saka 26 mins
Gilmour 14 mins
By the way
I couldn't give a f**k if they are fresh off the teet or close to the zimmer
It they can do the job is he only important criteria
starmandb

Postby coach8smallball » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:51 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:He simply doesn't do enough numbers.

Hazard 15 goals and 10 assists in 30 games.

Ozil 4 goals and 1 assist in 17 games.

It's below par for 350k, he is a million miles away from hazard as a player, he has to go so we can use his wages for other players.

When comparing him to other Prem stars, of course. I agree with you. But if we just confine the argument to Arsenal, who in the squad is performing at the required level? Very few.

The attitude and flaws that are supposedly keeping Ozil out the team are on display almost each week from individuals that still get picked to play by Emery. That's what I find unfair and hypocritical from the manager. How many brain farts and mistakes have Mustafi and Xhaka made already this season? Some questionable performances from plenty but they continue to play and exhibit the same mistakes.

and there's the rub. iwobi, xhaka, mustafi with gaffs or just no end product but continually get minutes.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:10 am

The Guardian
Arsenal are outsiders in chase for Champions League, says Unai Emery

• Emery: ‘There are teams that are better than us’
• Mattéo Guendouzi praised for missing France duty

Unai Emery believes a top-three Premier League finish is beyond Arsenal and has said his club are outsiders in the fight for fourth place with Chelsea and Manchester United.

Emery was charged with returning Arsenal to the Champions League when appointed last May and reacquainting them with the financial clout of Europe’s elite competition. According to the most recent accounts, the club’s revenues fell by £29.9m last season because of their participation in the Europa League.

But after a damaging sequence of away results, in which Emery’s team have taken two points from an available 18, they are three points behind Chelsea in fourth and one short of United in fifth. The gap to third-placed Tottenham is 10 points. Arsenal will qualify for the Champions League if they win the Europa League; they face Bate Borisov in the last 32, with the first leg on Thursday in Belarus.

“It is so far,” Emery said, when asked whether the Premier League’s top three were out of reach. “We are going to play at Tottenham in one month [on 2 March] but now we need to think about the next games and the next teams ahead of us, who are Chelsea and Manchester United.

“Are we outsiders for fourth place? Now, yes. Because we are sixth. It’s practical but it is like that. I trust in our capacity to take [fourth] but it is like that. There are teams now that are better than us and who have an advantage to us.

“Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham also – there is a big difference between us and them. Chelsea and Manchester United, two very big teams, also have a difference [to the top three] but they are closer than us. We need to continue thinking to be in the top four but knowing it’s difficult. It’s not to think we’re playing under pressure – it’s to be demanding and with the ambition to be in the top four [while] also knowing other teams have an advantage to us.”

Emery, who takes his team to Huddersfield on Saturday, discussed the emergence of the summer signing Mattéo Guendouzi and suggested that the midfielder’s decision to miss the European Under-19 Championship with France last July was pivotal.

“The first impression from him is very good and we saw this from the first weeks of pre-season when he arrived here,” Emery said. “He made the very big decision not to play with the national team in the summer because he wanted to work with us and show his capacity in pre-season. His adaptation was very quick and his progress is very good.”
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football