Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby starmandb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Santi wrote:My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

Can show me a million stats how he’s doing better than klopp, pep or whoever at this respective stage, but they all had an exciting style being implemented...we don’t. That’s what has always f***ked me off the most. Even a spurs fan in the pub just now said this is the most boring Arsenal he’s ever seen and I couldn’t disagree.

Give me the fabregas possession ball and getting occasionally counter raped over this all day long.

I remember boring Arsenal being our tag and I couldn't give a f**k what Spurs fans said then I couldn't give a f**k now
Winning Arsenal is all that matters
Playing well is a bonus
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Angelito wrote:Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger stopping him from fielding attacking, creative players?

Is Wenger forcing him to play with 3 DMs and 3 CBs in most games?

Is Wenger the reason behind Emery's ridiculous tactics?

You've essentially repeated the exact same problem but in 4 different ways for dramatic effect. I agree that it's an issue though.

Angelito wrote:Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade?

I prefer the goals scored statistic.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby starmandb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

All about wonga and always will be

Yawn

Yeah let's just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.

How about what he did with a squad that had won the title two seasons before
05/06 67 points
The run to the champions league final hid a multitude of sins
Getting the best out of that squad?
I really don't think so
Did it get better after that in terms of personnel?
Wenger didn't have this squad
It's emerys squad
He is working with them
starmandb

Postby BS221B » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:22 pm

If Wenger had signed Torreira along with Leno and a brand new CB, we would have been top 4 for sure. On top of that, we would have been one of the teams that conceded least goals in league.

You asked for a change, have it then. 16 points off the first place, 7 points off 4th place if Chelsea wins today. Manchester United will finish higher than us this season, mark my words.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Everyone knew this was no quick fix ffs

Patience guys. We got rid of Wenger and gazidis who left this club in a right mess.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Godlop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Angelito wrote:
Godlop wrote:People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis

They left this club in an absolute mess.
Pretty much every big decision in the past 5 years was wrong.

Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger instructing him to sideline Lacazette?

Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade? Is Wenger responsible for an even worse defensive record than last season?

Although, I do agree that it's Gazidis' fault. He's the one whore hired Emery and it's turning out to be a major blunder.

1. Who gave Özil a 350k a week contract?
right Wenger and Gazidis
The club is in such a bad position financially compared to the rest in the top 6 that forcing a 30 year old past his peak Mesut Özil out of the club is the right thing.
I don't like it either, but Özil needs to go for the much needed rebuild.

2. Who was it that sidelined Lacazette first and crushed his confidence?
Wenger
Who then invested another 75 million for a striker, while we had much bigger problems in other areas of the squad?
Gazidis

You can't blame Emery, for fielding only 1 Striker like most top managers.

3&4.It's not like he has much to choose from.

5. I'm not defending Emery on this point.
His tactics could be better, but I also think it's not that easy if you inherit such a unbalanced squad.

6. Yes Wenger and Gazidis build a team of individuals that don't fit together.
Last edited by Godlop on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yago » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm

can we reopen that emery out thread already, I need to quote my own post from a month back
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby BS221B » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Godlop wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Godlop wrote:People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis

They left this club in an absolute mess.
Pretty much every big decision in the past 5 years was wrong.

Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger instructing him to sideline Lacazette?

Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade? Is Wenger responsible for an even worse defensive record than last season?

Although, I do agree that it's Gazidis' fault. He's the one whore hired Emery and it's turning out to be a major blunder.

1. Who gave Özil a 350k a week contract?
right Wenger and Gazidis
The club is in such a bad position financially compared to the rest in the top 6 that forcing a 30 year old past his peak Mesut Özil out of the club is the right thing.
I don't like it either, but Özil needs to go for the much needed rebuild.

2. Who was it that sidelined Lacazette first and crushed his confidence?
Wenger
Who then invested another 75 million for a striker, while we had much bigger problems in other areas of the squad?
Gazidis

You can't blame Emery, for fielding only 1 Striker like most top managers.

3. It's not like he has much to choose from.

4. I'm not defending Emery on this point.
His tactics could be better, but I also think it's not that easy if you inherit such a unbalanced squad.

5. Yes Wenger and Gazidis build a team of individuals that don't fit together.

Wenger didnt give 350k to Ozil... It was known that he was going to leave at the end of season, blame Gazidis and Kroenke for giving 350k to Ozil before getting a new manager.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm

theHotHead wrote:Exactly and this is the fundamental point you missed when you claimed we want top football and top 4 or whatever it was you said.

No!!

What we want is to be competitive, if we lose but at least we try and look competitive then so be it. When we lost that game against Chelsea I dare say most of us were pleased because we gave it a go, we had chances to win and should have won. We lost but we had reason to be proud of the players.

This is what we want and what Emery is doing at the moment is total foolishness.

You seemed to have missed my fundamental point as well, though. I was saying that we should be sensible and patient about judging Emery's performance and whether or not he is good enough for this club. We have played some very good football this season so we know what we're capable of. What I take issue with is people overreacting and catastrophizing after a couple of bad results. Surely there are some things about Emery that are very worrying but let's just see if these worrying trends continue. If he figures out what he's doing wrong, repents and tries to improve, which is possible, then we should get behind him. If he decides to be arrogant and not budge in certain aspects, then I'll agree we need to move on. It's too early to tell. I'll give him until next season this time of year to start making judgments about his philosophy, character and abilities. Until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm

The Ozil situation needs to be resolved asap. We have a player who is creative earning 350k a week and not even in the squad when fully fit. Yet the team is struggling to create much at all. This is just not acceptable. You can not create as little as we are and have Ozil out of the squad. If the manager says I dont fancy him and he is not part of my plans. The club has to get rid asap. Even if you can offer termination of contract you do as paying him 350k doing nothing cant go on. Or someone above get involved and tell the manager ozil plays. i know some part of the world this happens and its a big no no in England. I personally have no problem if a manager has an agenda against a player who is clearly good enough dont get get picked people above have a word and tell him its not on.

People who argue we should let him build a team seems to think every manager has the right to build his team. you earn that imo. There were many man u fans who were against Moyes from the start and said he cant build a team, because his vision is not what we want. My problem with Emery is he doesnt like flair players, he is used to building teams that outwork top teams full of grafters. It means those teams can give top teams a tough game, but they are not built to win leagues, to break down teams and control matches. My issue with him is since he has been in charge, there are very few games we are in full control. we can keep the ball outside of our CB passing to each other. We cant sustain control even against the smallest teams because we are setup to counter. For me its small time way of building a team.....every top team can rest on possession, they can strangle a match. With his idea every game is 50/50 and he is trying to hurt everyone on the counter. Again its not about how long he has been here, its about his way of football I have problem with. If moyes got 12 more months or 18 months....would anything change?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:48 pm

swipe right wrote:I’ll tell you this, if Wenger had Aubameyang and Torreira for a full season we wouldn’t be finishing sixth.

Honestly, I did think this the other day but about Papa and Torreira.

Now I don't want to get into whether we'd have them if Wenger was here or not, because we simply don't know anymore. Things were changing before Wenger left in terms of who was responsible for what but he may still have had the say to veto either signing.

Ignoring that and assuming we'd have them both, I think he'd actually be doing better right now but it's all guessing and games so really quite a waste of time.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

starmandb wrote:
Santi wrote:My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

Can show me a million stats how he’s doing better than klopp, pep or whoever at this respective stage, but they all had an exciting style being implemented...we don’t. That’s what has always f***ked me off the most. Even a spurs fan in the pub just now said this is the most boring Arsenal he’s ever seen and I couldn’t disagree.

Give me the fabregas possession ball and getting occasionally counter raped over this all day long.

I remember boring Arsenal being our tag and I couldn't give a f**k what Spurs fans said then I couldn't give a f**k now
Playing well is a bonus

That's your view, but for me and many others in modern football, winning is simply not enough. Real Madrid started it when they began sacking winning managers, along with Chelsea, City and PSG. Those clubs don't take shit anymore and winning ugly is fine for a while but they always want to improve the style in the end.

While I'd take a win at all costs on any given game, it's not enough to scrape by on the regular imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm

f**k me, we can't even win ugly atm... Real, Chelsea, PSG and City was a progression thing. They won ugly first, then wanted their brand to improve.

We're currently the reverse of that trend. Sad but true.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Santi wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Playing well is a bonus

That's your view, but for me and many others in modern football, winning is simply not enough. Real Madrid started it when they began sacking winning managers, along with Chelsea, City and PSG. Those clubs don't take shit anymore and winning ugly is fine for a while but they always want to improve the style in the end.

While I'd take a win at all costs on any given game, it's not enough to scrape by on the regular imo.

its also not sustainable. If you are not creating many chances........you can have a period where you have large % of converting. But if you say as long as convert I dont care. Logic tells you these things even themselves out and conversion will go down. They explained this middle of our unbeaten run where Laca and Auba had 70% converion rate. Sky sport showed shots on target and chance created and we were far behind the top teams. But we were scoring similar amount. They explained this isnt sustainable by arsenal and these numbers and goals will go down. And they have. So yeah as long as we win I dont care how we play is stupid
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:f**k me, we can't even win ugly atm... Real, Chelsea, PSG and City was a progression thing. They won ugly first, then wanted their brand to improve.

We're currently the reverse of that trend. Sad but true.

And Liverpool? They lost games at first but playing Klopp's style. City did the same under Pep, played his way but dropped points in getting used to it.

Yes they both spent big after, which we wont, but I don't think Emery has an attractive brand of football that he's bringing so he HAS to get results. If you're going to be results based (hi jose all his career) then you have to win. He did for a while and needs to do it again.

That was the point.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football