Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:44 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Remember when Nuggets used to call him "Emery the Don"?

Looool

Thats called jumping head first into a paddling pool!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 am

LMAO wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:Let's forget the good he's done. Never mentioned.

I'm all ears.

Lol prepare for a emotional rant, i dunno why you guys entertain him.

Some of the same people who slated Wenger are sucking/have sucked Emery off despite him doing similar shit. But because Emery isn't Wenger, it's all gravy.

tbh it's fun to witness the hypocrisy unfold.

Aye, im going to get some popcorn and a Lazy Boy.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:42 am

Ach wrote:Bayern had already named kovac as their manager. No one in the world thinks he's better than emery lol

If that's your argument that bigger clubs didn't go for him then it's not much of one.

There are all kind of circumstances why clubs go for certain managers. No one in the world thinks pep is better than Jose but pep got the Barca job and Jose didn't. That's a prime example.

You're not impressed with his time at PSG cos you've done nothing but shit on him since he's been here. Guys never had a chance. Not just you either. Like I said, if all you see are his weak points then that's what he'll be.

We're a Europa league club now. We were that before he came along. Can he get us in the CL? He came mighty close last season with a cancerous side. This season we are well placed to get it. Couldn't give a shit about how bad Tottenham and co are. Wenger made a career of getting top 4 when others were shit. One season he got top 4 cos another side had the shits literally.

As soon as City came along and Liverpool stopped being shit, Wenger stopped getting top 4. We aren't as good as those 2 but we're the best of the rest and we'll get top 3. One defeat doesn't change that

More rubbish. His past would be irrelevant if we were playing good football. It's that simple. He's had long enough to impress and he still has time because he's not going to be fired any time soon so it's on him change opinions. Like it or not, sentiment around the manager has changed and most wouldn't mind seeing him gone. Just look around the blogs and pick up on what the vibe was like after that loss from people at the stadium, fans at home....it's something you're going to have to try and deal with.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 am

Ah the classic no reply so it's rubbish line. No point continuing this
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:31 am

Ach wrote:Ah the classic no reply so it's rubbish line. No point continuing this

You've had a worthy response so don't act as if 'rubbish' is where you of all people draw the line and try to cop out. You can't continue. It's very simple. If Emery starts pulling together the performances but is a bit unlucky on results, I'll give credit where it's due because it's progress on style at least and the results will start to pull through eventually if we're consistent with our performances. If he turns things around, I'd even agree to him needing more time at the club. It's all on him and I'm not biased to the point where I won't change my opinion on something when I see a development. Most fans will do the same if things turn around so it's on him.

As said before, he manages to do that, nobody will care about his past record or his time at PSG. Henry and Bergkamp came here with 'low stock' after flopping in Italy, but they turned things around when they arrived at Arsenal. It's no different for a manager. It's on Unai to turn things around. All this back and forth isn't going to change anyone's opinion.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 am

You give credit to Emery? Who's speaking rubbish now? Where was this credit when we went 20+ games unbeaten last season? When we had a run of clean sheets?

All that was mentioned was style of play blah blah so spare me this bs.

You went deep in to Emery history to shit on him. Tell us again how teams he manages fall away last few months or whatever crap you spouted.

You'll do the same with the next manager. No matter who it is. Pep, you'll mention doing f all in Europe without Messi or running from Jose and living in USA for a year. Jose you'll mention the Chelsea disaster. And so on

It's what you do. It's why no one really takes you seriously.

If he fails which he hasn't yet then don't worry there will be others you can shit on. For some no one will be better than daddy Wenger
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am

Ach wrote:You give credit to Emery? Who's speaking rubbish now? Where was this credit when we went 20+ games unbeaten last season? When we had a run of clean sheets?

All that was mentioned was style of play blah blah so spare me this bs.

You went deep in to Emery history to shit on him. Tell us again how teams he manages fall away last few months or whatever crap you spouted.

You'll do the same with the next manager. No matter who it is. Pep, you'll mention doing f all in Europe without Messi or running from Jose and living in USA for a year. Jose you'll mention the Chelsea disaster. And so on

It's what you do. It's why no one really takes you seriously.

If he fails which he hasn't yet then don't worry there will be others you can shit on. For some no one will be better than daddy Wenger

:) Come on. North Bank Gooner remembers your clown like behavior from other forums that goes as far back as 606. Stop it. We're going to leave it there. I can see you're now starting to get a little wound up. Relax.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:36 am

Ach wrote:Ah the classic no reply so it's rubbish line. No point continuing this

And yet you still continue. This is what Cripps lives for people.

If you watch closely, he usually contradicts himself about once a month in order to fit the narrative of the day, or what ever argument he wants to take part in that day. Now days it's usually against whatever the majority of the forum is for. So then if in the rare chance he's right, he can take the high ground and gloat about his predictions. It's classic Cripps.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Ach wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:Let's forget the good he's done. Never mentioned.

I'm all ears.

Won trophies?

Finished top 3 in la Ligt

Won titles

All of the above with clubs that aren't what I'd call a super power in Europe. We aren't one of those either.

Mentality is much stronger here. One loss doesn't change that. He has united all Arsenal fans after the reign of terror from previous regime and all want Arsenal to succeed.

Given youth a chance after the tragic youth project failure from the previously mentioned regime killled all fans hope in our youngsters.

Also taken us to half as many European finals in a year than Wenger did in 22 years.

He is sorting out our team attacking wise first and hopefully the defence next summer with Salina and others coming in

I understand the no patience from fairweather fans these days who want trophies yesterday. I'm old fashioned who think it takes time

Fair play, while I still think there is a chunk of what you say that is pure wind-up you have presented some points that are valid. My response to them are:

Won trophies - yes, he did with PSG and Sevilla. the PSG trophies are irrelevant any donkey could do that - especially when they spend £370m over 2 seasons !! Sevilla was impressive, but Sevilla are a small team in comparison to PSG and Arsenal that have better players and bigger egos. his man management skills have been called into question at PSG and now here at Arsenal. But thats a different argument, he won big trophies at Sevilla.

Finished top 3 in La Liga - I can't say I am overly impressed with that, Valencia are one of the traditional big boys in La Liga, for the past 20 or so years at least that I have been watching Spanish football.

All of the above at non superpowers - Valencia are one of the biggest La Liga clubs, they are not small fry. I cannot knock what he did at Sevilla though. But he also had a nightmare at one of the clubs and was unable to win away or got one away win only, I don't remember. That CANNOT be ignored either.

Mentality is much stronger ? Last season before our collapse I would have agreed with you, but I can't now in all honesty, its just as pathetic now. Just look at our performance at Watford last season. Yes we won, but the performance and mentality was shocking. 69% possession against Sheffield United and 3 shots on target.

Given youth a chance, well yes and no. Lampard has too, but thats because he has no choice due to the transfer ban. Is Emery playing the kids because he has no choice (injuries to Laca, spiting Ozil??). But I am second guessing, he IS playing kids so I will give him that.

The European finals - getting to the Europa League final is far easier than getting to the Champions League Final. It helps if you play football in the Europa League too, For the most part Wenger didn't.

Sorting out attacking first - how ?? We are weak offensively, Auba has been getting us out of jail this season. Attacking has not been our problem, defending was and still is, he has made us worse in that respect. We have absolutely not improved one iota offensively.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Arseblog covered this topic this morning.

https://arseblog.com/2019/10/did-arsena ... e-cant-do/

I was thinking a bit about what Unai Emery’s remit is at Arsenal for this season. I’m just guessing, but I suspect it boils down to one thing: finish in the top four and return Arsenal to the Champions League. I know we have two paths to that ultimate objective as winning the Europa League would get us there, but first and foremost there has to be an improvement in the league. Winning in Europe but finishing 7th would achieve what we wanted but also be domestically unsatisfying, despite the trophy.

I think most people looked at his record in the Europa League and thought it was probably a factor in his appointment. As we prepared for a second season in that competition, it was like a bit of insurance when Ivan Gazidis green-lit a somewhat surprise move for the Spaniard. His track record spoke for itself in the Europa League, three consecutive wins with Sevilla was an impressive part of his CV, but how closely did the Arsenal executives look at what surrounded those final triumphs?

In 2013-14, Sevilla finished 5th in La Liga, 7 points off 4th placed Athletic Bilbao who were entered into the qualification round of the Champions League. At that point, the Europa League winners didn’t get that second prize of entry to the CL, and as we know they went the distance again in the same competition, beating Ukrainian side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the final.

This time they did get that bonus of feasting from Europe’s top table, which is just as well as in La Liga they finished 5th again, albeit this time just a point off Valencia in 4th. However, their Champions League campaign was disappointing, and they were shunted back into the Europa League after finishing 3rd in their group, taking just 6 points from Man City, Juventus and Borussia Monchengladbach. Back where he belonged, Emery took Sevilla to that impressive third final, beating Liverpool 3-1 in Basel.

Hurrah, Champions League qualification again for Sevilla, and again it was fortunate for them because this time their final league position left them outside the European places entirely – finishing in 7th with just 52 points from their 38 games. That was also the season when Emery’s Sevilla side went through an entire season without winning a game away from home.

At that point, manager and club parted ways, with PSG and their mega-money proving a job impossible to resist. You couldn’t blame Emery for wanting to take that jump, but with the most expensively assembled squad in French football, his new team finished second in his first season. In fairness, Monaco had an incredible campaign, and the following year PSG won the title by 13 points, but they’d taken Kylian Mbappe from the previous title winners, who also lost Bernardo Silva, Benjamin Mendy, and Tiemoue Bakayoko as their sell-off began.

So, as you read that you wonder how much depth did the Arsenal executive committee of Ivan Gazidis, Raul Sanllehi and Sven Mislintat look at Emery’s record. We heard all about this incredible dossier he had on every player, and the more I think about it, the more it sounds like spin. Perhaps he did, by all accounts he’s a studious man who enjoys preparation, video analysis and all that, so working with his staff to put together something like that isn’t beyond the realms of possibility. But, we should remember the man who told us that this was a great thing (Gazidis) is the same man who proudly, and on video, showed off our ‘tunnel area’ as if there was something great and unique about our tunnel compared to the rest of them.

Did they look at his track record in the Europa League as a bonus, like an extra power in a video game, or was it that in itself which convinced them? Because if they’d dug into his track record at Sevilla and their league finishes, they’d have seen a man who finished 5th, 5th and 7th. After Arsenal’s worst season away from home in Premier League history, they hired a man who went through an entire season without winning a game on the road. That’s either an unfortunate oversight, or a lack of research.

Yes, he had a good spell at Valencia, in four seasons finishing 6th, 3rd (25 points off 2nd), 3rd (21 points off 2nd), and 3rd (30 points off second and 39 points behind the champions that season, Real Madrid). So, PSG aside, the last time Emery achieved Champions League qualification by virtue of final league position was six years before he was appointed manager of Arsenal. He did have a spell at Spartak Moscow before he came back to Spain with Sevilla, but he was appointed there in May 2012 and sacked in November after a 5-1 defeat in the Moscow derby – so it’s safe to say that didn’t work out.

Basically, we made a conservative appointment based on his track record in a much weaker Spanish League (as it was back then), the Europa League triumphs with Sevilla, and his time at PSG, which isn’t really a true marker of anything because of the financial muscle they can throw around. Even winning the title there wasn’t enough, because he couldn’t produce what they wanted in the Champions League. That Round of 16 tie with Barcelona felt remarkable at the time, and I do think PSG were a bit unlucky with some of the officiating in the second leg, but after a full season and a bit more with Emery in charge of Arsenal, there’s something in that second leg performance/capitulation that resonates.

As a Guardian report at the time stated:

Successful though Emery has been in the past two months, his failure to pick his team not only on merit but with a sense of continuity at this crucial moment, in the competition for which his expertise was supposedly required, was PSG’s undoing …

… his personnel decisions looked as fallible as his tactical ones.

It makes for really interesting reading this morning because so much of it feels relevant to us right now. As we struggle with issues of tactics, personnel, performance and expectation, there was plenty in Emery’s history that suggested this might be the case. The optimism that greeted this new season after what felt like a very successful summer in the transfer market and in pre-season has well and truly evaporated, and you can’t help but wonder if Arsenal have given Emery a job he’s not quite able to do.

Till tomorrow.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Fenice » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 pm

That's very well put.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby immsun » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Wonder what words they exchanged. Todays training video:

https://youtu.be/kQYyL0mCMXM
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:42 pm

mesut's last act for the club leadng a revolt against the disgusting man to get him sacked

what a hero
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 pm

immsun wrote:Wonder what words they exchanged. Todays training video:

https://youtu.be/kQYyL0mCMXM

Emery: Are you going to train hard today?

Ozil: Is my 350k check deposited in my account yet.

Emery: Yes I believe so.

Ozil: Probably not then.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby immsun » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Judging from this video

Willock and pepe wont ever get a game in life with emery in charge :)

What kind of lazy training this is lol. Not one player is doing it seriously.

Mustafi is having a ball rofl
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football