Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 am

You know what, very true.

Let me add a caveat then:
Player must've been at the club for at least 5 years playing in the first team. So mercenaries are excluded.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby UFGN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 am

theHotHead wrote:You know what, very true.

Player must've been at the club for at least 5 years playing in the first team. So mercenaries are excluded.

Define maverick and genius

I would say Merson was neither. Not even hating on the bloke btw, he just wasnt amazing by any stretch

He was a very good footballer but that's all. I would argue that Rocastle, Smith, Adams, Oleary and maybe even Lukic were all more important than him

Then compare him to the likes if Pires, Overmars, Bergkamp.....

Not a genius at all

Maverick? He liked a drink. That's all.

Not a legend.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Luzh 22 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 am

Remember his goal celebration? Downing pints I believe it was supposed to represent :lol:
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 am

Paul Merson was a member of the team that achieved legendary status by way of winning the league in'89 and '91.

The win in '89 is legendary in it's own right by way of that night at anfield which references the opposition and circumstance of level of win required.

'91 is legendary by way of 1-0 to the Arsenal, the back four, only losing 1 game, smudger and George Graham.

Reference to the ' I'm gonna neck some pints ' merson celebration is itself the very epitome of legend in the sense of being a popular moment in time or retelling of such, same as gazza crying and lineker's look to Robson or image of the blooded and bandaged Terry Butcher although this may be deemed more iconic than legend depending on who you ask.

The tale being told for ever more is only but one definition of legend or at least my understanding of the word.

Whilst he may or may not be considered a legend by some fans and not others, their is no doubt that he was indeed a luminary of our team but ultimately he never reached the top top level the ability and potential he possessed should have taken him, and there's only one person to blame for that.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Luzh 22 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Infamous and/or notorious is not the same as legendary.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Legend gets thrown around way too much. Which pretty much makes the word insignificant.

It's like saying everyone is special in their own way, which means nobody is.

But then again, everyone defines it differently and how they want to, so it's really just pointless to argue then.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm

UFGN: If he wants to play "you score 3, we'll score 4" then I'm cool with it, as long as it works

As I've always said, points on the board are all that matter. George Graham with constipation, or Brazil on acid... I genuinely don't care how the 3 points is got.[/quote]

"George Graham with constipation or Brazil on acid..." Damn, that's funny
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm

StLGooner wrote:Legend gets thrown around way too much. Which pretty much makes the word insignificant.

It's like saying everyone is special in their own way, which means nobody is.

But then again, everyone defines it differently and how they want to, so it's really just pointless to argue then.

:clap:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:34 pm

StLGooner wrote:Legend gets thrown around way too much. Which pretty much makes the word insignificant.

Yup.

Aaron Ramsey got called a legend on here the other day. Aaron f***ing Ramsey.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:26 am

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:

Yup.

Aaron Ramsey got called a legend on here the other day. Aaron f***ing Ramsey.

:doh: Just goes to show the state the club was in over the past decade. Glad we're moving past that.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Nuggets » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:09 am

UFGN wrote:

I would say Merson was neither. Not even hating on the bloke btw, he just wasnt amazing by any stretch

He was a very good footballer but that's all. I would argue that Rocastle, Smith, Adams, Oleary and maybe even Lukic were all more important than him

Not a genius at all

Not a legend.

:clap: :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 am

UFGN wrote:

Not a genius at all

Not a legend.

Well said.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:40 am

UFGN wrote:

Not a genius at all

Not a legend.

Yeah I struggle to argue against the argument that he was not a football genius, but he was definitely a maverick, he did things his way and cared little for the rules or authority. He was as important a player as anyone else in the pitch at the time so I disagree with you there too.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:Paul Merson was a member of the team that achieved legendary status by way of winning the league in'89 and '91.

The win in '89 is legendary in it's own right by way of that night at anfield which references the opposition and circumstance of level of win required.

'91 is legendary by way of 1-0 to the Arsenal, the back four, only losing 1 game, smudger and George Graham.

Reference to the ' I'm gonna neck some pints ' merson celebration is itself the very epitome of legend in the sense of being a popular moment in time or retelling of such, same as gazza crying and lineker's look to Robson or image of the blooded and bandaged Terry Butcher although this may be deemed more iconic than legend depending on who you ask.

The tale being told for ever more is only but one definition of legend or at least my understanding of the word.

Whilst he may or may not be considered a legend by some fans and not others, their is no doubt that he was indeed a luminary of our team but ultimately he never reached the top top level the ability and potential he possessed should have taken him, and there's only one person to blame for that.

And this explains why Paul Merson should be a legend in every Arsenal fan's book! We took it too the best team in England and arguably Europe and won. I see the word legend as being a club icon which Paul Merson absolutely was.

Aaron Ramsey is not.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm

2 cup winning goals tops anything Merson did
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football