Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal manager

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Yeah I think 2 seasons, to be able to clear enough of the Wenger-type players out of the squad.

Yesterday's line-up was bizarre I half expected to see Ramsey playing but I didn't expect to see Ozil's role compromised as a result. Not been overly impressed at all with Mikhi since has come to us either. Xhaka .......... all I'm gonna say is, I want our first choice CM partnership to be Guendouzi and Torreira (sp?).

I want to see Laca play with Auba (disclaimer) too, cos we looked dead up front in the first half. and get that lead foot Cech out of goal please FFS. Yes he made some good saves but he is a liability with the ball at his feet.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:46 pm

theHotHead wrote:Yeah I think 2 seasons, to be able to clear enough of the Wenger-type players out of the squad.

Yesterday's line-up was bizarre I half expected to see Ramsey playing but I didn't expect to see Ozil's role compromised as a result. Not been overly impressed at all with Mikhi since has come to us either. Xhaka .......... all I'm gonna say is, I want our first choice CM partnership to be Guendouzi and Torreira (sp?).

I want to see Laca play with Auba (disclaimer) too, cos we looked dead up front in the first half. and get that lead foot Cech out of goal please FFS. Yes he made some good saves but he is a liability with the ball at his feet.

Agree from top to bottom.

Leno has to be given his chance, that's why we bought him.

Xhaka offers nothing consistent either in passing, defensive or offensive, Elneny at least offers solid passing and a combative defensive ability.

Guendouzi & Torreia would be great stability behind Ozil at No10 with Elneny ready to sub on for either when needed or lower games.

Laca & Auba - I was adverse to Auba going wide, but like Sanchez he actually scores quite freely carrying the ball in front of the defenders where he can run on them, Lacazette is not as pacey and is more of a pure poacher so I'm happy doing the Laca up top, Auba off left.

I really want to see if Emery implements what he saw against Chelsea because I know he saw it himself hence the subbing Xhaka and moving Ozil centrally.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:38 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Yeah I think 2 seasons, to be able to clear enough of the Wenger-type players out of the squad.

Agree from top to bottom.

Leno has to be given his chance, that's why we bought him.

Xhaka offers nothing consistent either in passing, defensive or offensive, Elneny at least offers solid passing and a combative defensive ability.

Guendouzi & Torreia would be great stability behind Ozil at No10 with Elneny ready to sub on for either when needed or lower games.

Laca & Auba - I was adverse to Auba going wide, but like Sanchez he actually scores quite freely carrying the ball in front of the defenders where he can run on them, Lacazette is not as pacey and is more of a pure poacher so I'm happy doing the Laca up top, Auba off left.

I really want to see if Emery implements what he saw against Chelsea because I know he saw it himself hence the subbing Xhaka and moving Ozil centrally.

I think for this game he wanted to play a bit different than we normally will. It looked like he was just giving up the width to City so they didn't kill us thru the middle, and then wanting to counter attack with width once they left the outside short in numbers, and then have Ozil cut inside when needed. That's what it looked like to me, but obviously that's just speculation. Also letting them play wide puts a little less stress on our inexperienced CM Matteo, which could have been part of the plan.

But it seems like he'll change things when needed depending on the competition, which is a good thing imo.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:23 pm

I'll be honest; what I saw yesterday was no different to what I used to see in the last decade of the Wenger era. I certainly hope this isn't representative of the brand of football Emery wants to implement.

Otherwise there's no chance we'll make top four this season.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Rockape » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Blimey.....I know it was a baptism of fire, but I really think we have little chance of making the top 4 this season. I'd love to be wrong, but think our best hope is 5th.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ESR10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm

PairyGrows wrote:I'll be honest; what I saw yesterday was no different to what I used to see in the last decade of the Wenger era. I certainly hope this isn't representative of the brand of football Emery wants to implement.

Agree about the first half. Emerys actually changed his tactics and made an early sub in the second half to adapt his game. Something we didn't see from Wenger for a decade
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Its still a wenger team, going to take time, he has a massive job on his hands
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11471801/sam-allardyce-slams-unai-emerys-stupid-tactics-against-man-city

lol

Probably the last person that should be giving tactical advice. How'd he do against City last season?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

the period after the chelsea game up to the Liverpool game is the most important for us this season

personally not arsed if we get beat 2/3-0 at stamford bridge but after that game we need to take HUGE steps. its them few months where we need to start to build our identity and start playing our best football

if we fail to do that against the lesser teams we'll play during that period then it doesnt look good for unai
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby ag6789 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Emery should be given at least two years to show some improvement, position wise and total accumulated points wise.
But, it should be 'pull up your socks' time for Ozil, Xhaka and Ramsey. It has been same same old for them for a while now, and unless they show initiative in big games, at critical moments, they should be shipped out.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Tony Adams now having a go at Emery

The bloke is a moron
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm

if adams was manager we lose 12-0
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Sims wrote:Tony Adams now having a go at Emery

The bloke is a moron

Oh shut up Tony ffs

I've been watching some interviews with Wright recently and he's a moron as well
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 pm

UFGN wrote:
Sims wrote:Tony Adams now having a go at Emery

The bloke is a moron

Oh shut up Tony ffs

I've been watching some interviews with Wright recently and he's a moron as well

Can I just ask ........... who in their right mind thought we were going to win that game before kick off?

Because I certainly didn't.

Could you imagine if we had done an 8-0 like we did against Utd that time, jesus christ.

Or even against City last season when we were down 3-0 by half time?

In a game we were expected to lose the haters are coming out guns blazing, oh well, welcome to the real Arsenal Unai Emery, club full of clowns and knee jerkers.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football