Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Jedi wrote:
swipe right wrote:Just want to remind everyone that Wenger won the double his first full season despite inheriting a bunch of alchoholic pensioners from Graham.

He inherited Seaman, Adams, Keown, Bould, Dixon, Merson, Bergkamp and Wright

Go back to your cave, troll

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:At the end of the day in this particular season he has 4 opportunities to gain some level of respect.

Finish top 4
Win EL
Win Fa cup
Win LC

3 are still firmly to play for, if none of them objectives are accomplished I wouldn't say sack him but he will be on a thin line next season.

To be honest I couldn't care less if we finish in the top 4, I just want to see an improvement in our football from the last few seasons.

Power n Glory, your wish is my command: Spurs last team vs Cardiff:
LLoris - €12.6m
Trippier - €4.9m
Sanchez - €40m
Alderweireld - €16m
Rose - €1m
Winks - Free
Sissoko - €35m
Alli - €6.6m
Eriksen - €13.5m
Kane - Free
Son - €30m
Team Total - €159.6m

Absolutely blows the argument that you need money to compete out of the water, Spurs have been competitive for the past 3 years. Their last team cost almost half of our best team. How ? Its a good team as opposed to a collection of good players. Pochettino has them playing good, counter attacking football, none of this possession bollox, none of this passing backwards and sideways half the game. They get the ball, the burst forward.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:At the end of the day in this particular season he has 4 opportunities to gain some level of respect.

Finish top 4
Win EL
Win Fa cup
Win LC

3 are still firmly to play for, if none of them objectives are accomplished I wouldn't say sack him but he will be on a thin line next season.

To be honest I couldn't care less if we finish in the top 4, I just want to see an improvement in our football from the last few seasons.

LLoris - €12.6m
Trippier - €4.9m
Sanchez - €40m
Alderweireld - €16m
Rose - €1m
Winks - Free
Sissoko - €35m
Alli - €6.6m
Eriksen - €13.5m
Kane - Free
Son - €30m
Team Total - €159.6m

Absolutely blows the argument that you need money to compete out of the water, Spurs have been competitive for the past 3 years. Their last team cost almost half of our best team. How ? Its a good team as opposed to a collection of good players. Pochettino has them playing good, counter attacking football, none of this possession bollox, none of this passing backwards and sideways half the game. They get the ball, the burst forward.

87% short passes for Spurs

http://www2.squawka.com/teams/tottenham ... possession#english-barclays-premier-league#season-2017/2018#819#all-matches#1-38#

All games with data in here, bar one above 55% possession
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:54 pm

BS221B wrote:I will never forgive this guy. He is selling the children of Arsenal one after another... First Wilshere and now Ramsey. He is filling the squad with players who has no heart for Arsenal...

I dont want to see over 30 guys like Ever Banega or Lichtsteiner in my team, i want a player who has potential and is happy to play for this club.

I've seen more heart and fight in this team than any other of ours in the past 8 to10 years.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Jedi wrote:
swipe right wrote:Just want to remind everyone that Wenger won the double his first full season despite inheriting a bunch of alchoholic pensioners from Graham.

He inherited Seaman, Adams, Keown, Bould, Dixon, Merson, Bergkamp and Wright

Go back to your cave, troll

This is what we're dealing with.

The rationale currently on GW is so low atm that if I wasn't a regular I wouldn't be able to tell who were the trolls and who wasn't.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Roycck » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:58 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Finish top 4
Win EL
Win Fa cup
Win LC

LLoris - €12.6m
Trippier - €4.9m
Sanchez - €40m
Alderweireld - €16m
Rose - €1m
Winks - Free
Sissoko - €35m
Alli - €6.6m
Eriksen - €13.5m
Kane - Free
Son - €30m
Team Total - €159.6m

The team will be good if only we have ballers or dribblers.
Roycck
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 pm

theHotHead wrote:

Finish top 4
Win EL
Win Fa cup
Win LC

LLoris - €12.6m
Trippier - €4.9m
Sanchez - €40m
Alderweireld - €16m
Rose - €1m
Winks - Free
Sissoko - €35m
Alli - €6.6m
Eriksen - €13.5m
Kane - Free
Son - €30m
Team Total - €159.6m

Cheers.

I wasn't really thinking of winning trophies or a Top 4 finish this year either. All wouod be great but was more interested in seeing how Emery shaked things up. Was hoping to see a massive improvement on defence and our pressing game.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:12 pm

swipe right wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Rockape wrote:
Just want to remind everyone that Wenger won the double his first full season despite inheriting a bunch of alchoholic pensioners from Graham.

Just want to remind everyone that when Wenger arrived we were top of the league!

We were 3rd
3 pets behind Liverpool
1 point behind Newcastle

As you know Wenger started his tenure on Oct 1, 1996. We finished third with him at the helm. The squad he inherited had finished fifth the prior season.

I was answering that Arsenal were top when Wenger joined
We were third
You will not get an argument from me that Wenger improved Arsenal and gave a great defence a new lease of life
He was a great manager for Arsenal till he wasn't anymore
That situation was allowed to drag on 6 and half years too long
He doesn't live here anymore
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:12 pm

StLGooner wrote:
BS221B wrote:I will never forgive this guy. He is selling the children of Arsenal one after another... First Wilshere and now Ramsey. He is filling the squad with players who has no heart for Arsenal...

I dont want to see over 30 guys like Ever Banega or Lichtsteiner in my team, i want a player who has potential and is happy to play for this club.

I've seen more heart and fight in this team than any other of ours in the past 8 to10 years.

I can agree with this. The mentality of the squad and the fight we have has definitely changed. It's been a major improvement so far.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Funny
You were saying you thought Ramsey was useless 3 years ago
How does that fit in with a children of Arsenal narrative
starmandb

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 pm

starmandb wrote:

Funny
You were saying you thought Ramsey was useless 3 years ago
How does that fit in with a children of Arsenal narrative

Plus someone needs to let BS22 know that Emery doesn't fill the squad. You're blaming him for someone elses role in the club. :dizzy:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:00 pm

I think this works both ways. Emery isn't and shouldn't be immune to criticism. That's ridiculous. Likewise, unsubstantiated criticism of Emery won't take us anywhere either.

I haven't been impressed so far. I have my reasons. I have presented my reasons.

Just because Emery's new here, well, it doesn't mean he's doing everything right or should not be criticized. He should be criticized. He was praised for the 22-game unbeaten run. Nobody talked about Wenger then. Likewise, now that we're performing poorly, let's not put the blame on Wenger or "Wenger players." That's just cherry-picking.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rockape » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:07 pm

To be fair to him, he had a mostly stable line up for the 22game run, but then we’ve had shit loads of injuries that have really caused us some big problems.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:34 pm

I don't think we really played much better during the 22 game run tbh, we had a bunch of luck on our side in many of those games, plus a lot of those teams were lower table type teams.

I think we've been pretty consistent all year really. Or you can say consistently inconsistent. However you want to put it. I do think our mentality has changed, but obviously it seems our defense is worse. We attack ok, but not clinical enough, and defensively we're just not even close. It's been that way pretty much all year imo, even during the 22 game run.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Yes, and DM already eliminated AFC from the title race. 5th/6th for us w/ManU or Chelski. New normal.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football