Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby Pudpop » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:59 am

Still concede loads?

Second best defence in the Premier League in 2019

Conceded 1 goal in our last 7 all comps
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:It was gone as far as I'm concerned. That's what I said. Until the return of Ozil, that is. At that point, there were some weird stuff going around with our tactics and subs. Cannot deny that.

Credit to Unai for learning from his mistakes, doing what was needed, and getting us back on track. Since then, I've had no complaints, which I've reiterated.

The only reason we've improved is our CBs returning to fitness. Has literally nothing to do with Ozil. We scored bags of goals before and after his return.

And if we're going to credit anyone in offense for improving us that is Ramsey.

Well thats rubbish for a start, we still concede loads and still look likely to concede from every attack other teams launch. The catalyst ro us playing well again was when Emery stopped being so negative - it was obvious which games they were, we played the shittest football I have seen us play in the Premier League era.

He brought back Ozil (he had to) and he played Ramsey as well. He also played with both Laca and Auba. THAT'S when we started to play well again, had f**k all to do with getting defenders back.

And why do you think he deployed defensive teams in the first place? Perhaps something to do with not trusting his injury ridden backline which at times consisted of our 2nd choice RB with no first team experience, 4th choice CB, Lichsteiner at RB, and Xhaka at CB.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Pudpop wrote:Still concede loads?

We won a lot of these "small trophies" under Wenger, so I wouldn't pay much heed. Who'd ever forget that we nearly always topped the annual points total?

We've improved. That's a given. We're doing well lately. That's also true. Have no idea why some of you lot are fishing for an argument when any sane person knows that there are pros and cons to both sides, there is rational to both sides of the argument. Nobody has criticized Emery since he started picking attacking line-ups. Those who doubted him are pretty much backing him at the moment. That was the entire point, which I can't be bothered to explain to some of the people here.

There's no need for the gloating or finger-pointing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:57 pm

swipe right wrote:He’s doing a good job but he bores me. I miss Wenger’s madness. Like when he’d throw on an attacker in the 70th min while defending a two goal lead, or go all summer without signing a player and say no one was available. Watching Emery is like watching a train arrive on time. Boring.

When did Wenger throw on an attacker in the 70 th minute with us leading 2-0 ?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Losmeister » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:59 pm

anyway.... the season's been strange feeling... line-up peculiarities....

we've learned how to win ugly it seems... playing strangely and yet winning... not the most entertaining , but... wish we'd flow more freely
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Losmeister wrote:anyway.... the season's been strange feeling... line-up peculiarities....

we've learned how to win ugly it seems... playing strangely and yet winning... not the most entertaining , but... wish we'd flow more freely

And you know the most important thing?

It's not over yet!

We haven't won the EL. We haven't finished in the top-4. Spurs are still in the UCL SF. With all the gloating and rubbing it on your face, you'd think we'd won the UCL.

This season has had its ups and downs. We had a great unbeaten run, where we overachieved but it is what it is. Unai screwed up in the middle of the season and messed with Ozil for no reason whatsoever. But he was smart enough to learn from it. We're now heading into the business end of the season and we're in pretty good shape. This is the Unai nobody has any complaints about.

Even if we fail to win the EL or drop out of the top-4, he's done enough to warrant another summer and another season.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Angelito wrote:

We won a lot of these "small trophies" under Wenger, so I wouldn't pay much heed. Who'd ever forget that we nearly always topped the annual points total?

We've improved. That's a given. We're doing well lately. That's also true. Have no idea why some of you lot are fishing for an argument when any sane person knows that there are pros and cons to both sides, there is rational to both sides of the argument. Nobody has criticized Emery since he started picking attacking line-ups. Those who doubted him are pretty much backing him at the moment. That was the entire point, which I can't be bothered to explain to some of the people here.

The last time we conceded 1 in 7 was Nov/Dec 2013
6 wins punctuated by a 1-0 loss at man utd
Koscielny monreal and jenkinson were involved
Ramsey scored 4 goals
Ozil got 1
starmandb

Postby Losmeister » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Angelito wrote:
Losmeister wrote:anyway.... the season's been strange feeling... line-up peculiarities....

And you know the most important thing?

It's not over yet!

We haven't won the EL. We haven't finished in the top-4.

Even if we fail to win the EL or drop out of the top-4, he's done enough to warrant another summer and another season.

indeed. it's still quite a ways go.. we're decently POSITIONED...

and, yeah, no reason not to give the bloke a fighting chance...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:It was gone as far as I'm concerned. That's what I said. Until the return of Ozil, that is. At that point, there were some weird stuff going around with our tactics and subs. Cannot deny that.

Credit to Unai for learning from his mistakes, doing what was needed, and getting us back on track. Since then, I've had no complaints, which I've reiterated.

The only reason we've improved is our CBs returning to fitness. Has literally nothing to do with Ozil. We scored bags of goals before and after his return.

Well thats rubbish for a start, we still concede loads and still look likely to concede from every attack other teams launch. The catalyst ro us playing well again was when Emery stopped being so negative - it was obvious which games they were, we played the shittest football I have seen us play in the Premier League era.

He brought back Ozil (he had to) and he played Ramsey as well. He also played with both Laca and Auba. THAT'S when we started to play well again, had f**k all to do with getting defenders back.

Not really.

We started off really well and grew into a team with a lot of momentum.

We lost bellerin for a long while and had to adjust, then we lost him again for the season followed by holding shortly after for the season.

We then had the most makeshift defence for ages as stated above, which forced us to take a defensive shape for the whole team to cover sub standard defenders such as mustafi and lichtensteiner.

Kos came back but needed time to settle, sokratis was injured here and there, we struggled massively because the defensive depth wasn't there.

AMN came back from a leg break and took a while to get up to speed, but has taken his opportunity to claim his place as undisputed number 2 RB.

Now we are at the sharp end and Emery is concentrating on playing relatively conservatively but still scoring goals, in order to avoid those famous end of season collapses we enjoyed under Wenger in the later years.

8-2 man u
6-0 Chelsea

Etc.

I'm not sure why you guys are expecting him to play all out attacking football with a squad that has some serious deficiencies compared to the two we want to be neck and neck with.

Hes doing extremely well for his first season and even if he doesn't win the EL, we are in a far better position to make it into the CL than we ever were last season.

I'm really not sure how some of you can find this boring and pine after the humiliation we were routinely served last year and in years before.

Quite frankly its baffling.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Angelito wrote:

How can you say I'm fishing for an argument when all I did was point out that what hothead said was false?

You're saying that no one has criticized Emery since he started picking attacking lineups despite hothead criticizing him in the post I was replying to.

And his criticism was based on something that just isn't true.

And no one is gloating. But you can be damn sure we're going to point out how wrong you were because you and others on the forum did your absolute best to turn this place into a toxic cesspool while the rest of us just said stop knee jerking and wait. And we waited, and now we're in a great position with 7 our 8 games to go.

Even if we finish 5th and lose the EL, this season will still be a success and your ridiculous over reacting will look like exactly what it was: an immature tantrum because your favourite player was being benched.

Just admit you were wrong and be better in the future. Then we can all just move on and support the club without the knee jerking
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:47 pm

^

I'm not referring to HotHead's posts. I'm referring to the posts Dejan dug out like we won the Europa League - and the one you replied to.

However, HotHead's criticism of our defense is true. We don't have a good defense. We only have 9 away points from 30 in the last 10 games. The fact that we've conceded 1 in 7 games is a sign of improvement, but it also doesn't mean, we've made it.

That's not my perspective entirely. It's what I believe HotHead meant. His point about the catalyst being Emery selecting attacking line-ups and incorporating Ozil and Ramsey in them is also valid.

And no one is gloating. But you can be damn sure we're going to point out how wrong you were because you and others on the forum did your absolute best to turn this place into a toxic cesspool while the rest of us just said stop knee jerking and wait. And we waited, and now we're in a great position with 7 our 8 games to go.

Even if we finish 5th and lose the EL, this season will still be a success and your ridiculous over reacting will look like exactly what it was: an immature tantrum because your favourite player was being benched.

You can gloat as much as you want. But wait until we win the Europa League. Don't act like smug Liverpool fans by acting like we've won everything already. Nobody is going to run away from GW or threaten to stop supporting Arsenal just because of the manager. We're all Arsenal fans here who want to win things. We still have 7-8 crucial games to play. The sheer arrogance on display is baffling.

You also don't need to duck for cover with the second statement. Most people won't call for Unai's head even if we fail to win the EL or finish 5th. He's done enough to warrant another season. With managerial appointments, the review is on a season-by-season basis and based on our objectives.

We've heard baffling claims like Unai deserves 5 seasons here too, but none of us have mixed that up with the likes of you because there is no collective entity here. You attack arguments, not posters.

Just admit you were wrong and be better in the future. Then we can all just move on and support the club without the knee jerking

I'm not the one who started the finger-pointing. It was Dejano and later doubled down by you, so if you really want to move on, or wish to, you can apply the said advice to yourself first and stop knee-jerking. With Dejan, I know he was just messing around, hence, my reply. Nobody was in any mood to get into these discussions after a great win yesterday.

There's nothing to be wrong about or to be right about here. Unai screwed up mid-season. Unai rectified his errors. We're heading for a strong finish. Next season, the objectives will be different. It's a fresh start. This is a result-oriented business. Sometimes we go over the top, sure. That's the nature of the beast.

There's a lot more to be said, but our criticism was directed towards Unai Emery, not individual members. I cannot stress this enough. That obviously isn't the case here, as evident in your post.

Deja-vu. :dizzy:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Sokratis is the CB, Torreira the DM. The tactical changes are evident :)
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Zedie wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Not really.

We started off really well and grew into a team with a lot of momentum.

We lost bellerin for a long while and had to adjust, then we lost him again for the season followed by holding shortly after for the season.

We then had the most makeshift defence for ages as stated above, which forced us to take a defensive shape for the whole team to cover sub standard defenders such as mustafi and lichtensteiner.

Kos came back but needed time to settle, sokratis was injured here and there, we struggled massively because the defensive depth wasn't there.

AMN came back from a leg break and took a while to get up to speed, but has taken his opportunity to claim his place as undisputed number 2 RB.

Now we are at the sharp end and Emery is concentrating on playing relatively conservatively but still scoring goals, in order to avoid those famous end of season collapses we enjoyed under Wenger in the later years.

8-2 man u
6-0 Chelsea

Etc.

I'm not sure why you guys are expecting him to play all out attacking football with a squad that has some serious deficiencies compared to the two we want to be neck and neck with.

Hes doing extremely well for his first season and even if he doesn't win the EL, we are in a far better position to make it into the CL than we ever were last season.

I'm really not sure how some of you can find this boring and pine after the humiliation we were routinely served last year and in years before.

Quite frankly its baffling.
Good post my man

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Angelito wrote:^

I'm not referring to HotHead's posts. I'm referring to the posts Dejan dug out like we won the Europa League - and the one you replied to.

However, HotHead's criticism of our defense is true. We don't have a good defense. We only have 9 away points from 30 in the last 10 games. The fact that we've conceded 1 in 7 games is a sign of improvement, but it also doesn't mean, we've made it.

That's not my perspective entirely. It's what I believe HotHead meant. His point about the catalyst being Emery selecting attacking line-ups and incorporating Ozil and Ramsey in them is also valid.

You can gloat as much as you want. But wait until we win the Europa League. Don't act like smug Liverpool fans by acting like we've won everything already. Nobody is going to run away from GW or threaten to stop supporting Arsenal just because of the manager. We're all Arsenal fans here who want to win things. We still have 7-8 crucial games to play. The sheer arrogance on display is baffling.

You also don't need to duck for cover with the second statement. Most people won't call for Unai's head even if we fail to win the EL or finish 5th. He's done enough to warrant another season. With managerial appointments, the review is on a season-by-season basis and based on our objectives.

We've heard baffling claims like Unai deserves 5 seasons here too, but none of us have mixed that up with the likes of you because there is no collective entity here. You attack arguments, not posters.

I'm not the one who started the finger-pointing. It was Dejano and later doubled down by you, so if you really want to move on, or wish to, you can apply the said advice to yourself first and stop knee-jerking. With Dejan, I know he was just messing around, hence, my reply. Nobody was in any mood to get into these discussions after a great win yesterday.

There's nothing to be wrong about or to be right about here. Unai screwed up mid-season. Unai rectified his errors. We're heading for a strong finish. Next season, the objectives will be different. It's a fresh start. This is a result-oriented business. Sometimes we go over the top, sure. That's the nature of the beast.

There's a lot more to be said, but our criticism was directed towards Unai Emery, not individual members. I cannot stress this enough. That obviously isn't the case here, as evident in your post.

Deja-vu. :dizzy:
I do think we have a good defense.. if everyone is fit

The problem is our backups are not good enough (mustafi, lichtsteiner, jenkinson, arguably amn)

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Jep. Just messing around buddy.

Though, the midseason meltdown has been a bit extreme

Dejan