Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:01 pm

We should at least target results against ManU and Chelski at home, and even against the Spuds at Wembley. These are winnable games against fellow strugglers. No excuses.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Forget about results for now. Just improve the quality of football and everyone will be on his side. He needs to adapt to the team he has rather that expecting them to change to his ways. Longer term he can shape the squad. But right now he’s got to do a better job with what he has.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 am

If we lose all the big games, I don't think Emery will be in for long at AFC. His mishandling of talented players, inability to attract talent from outside, and quality of football in general, will quickly erode his Goodwill, and Fan's patience, and his tenure will end early next season.
Has been happening to most managers in other clubs.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:53 am

Results are all that matters

It's all that ever matters

I love shit football if it comes with three points. I could watch it every week, I don't care
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 am

UFGN wrote:Results are all that matters

It's all that ever matters

I love shit football if it comes with three points. I could watch it every week, I don't care

Since that’s not going to happen, wouldn’t you rather be entertained in the interim?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 am

Meanwhile in Spain, Cazorla just scored a brace against Madrid. So let’s see what we have here...we let go of a top talent for free in summer, and will now spend decent money to get a midfielder with less quality like Denis Suarez. Makes sense.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 am

swipe right wrote:Meanwhile in Spain, Cazorla just scored a brace against Madrid. So let’s see what we have here...we let go of a top talent for free in summer, and will now spend decent money to get a midfielder with less quality like Denis Suarez. Makes sense.

I think it is normal to let a 34 years old player go and sign a player ten years younger. And I don't think I need to mention his injury. And yes, I like Cazorla.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 am

Carzorla was probably the best player/performer in the last 8 years. I think nobody thought he could recover from the horrendous foot injury. He, alongside Sanchez, Ramsey and Ozil started the mini revival during Wenger's last part of the tenure. The three FA cups in 4 yrs are a dream for most teams for a century.
Great achievement!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:07 am

Sanchez—Auba—Ramsey
—————Ozil
—-Cazorla——Torreira
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am

Cazorla was a revelation when we started playing him in that deeper CM role. Made a huge difference to our build up play and flow. Without him there we looked disjointed and struggled to play the ball out from deep.

We really need to look into finding someone similar. I often wonder if Iwobi or Ozil could play a similar role in this current team. They'd have to work hard on defence but some players can surpise you when they are given that duty. Cazorla was an example. Rosicky too.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:04 am

Cazorla could play as an attacking midfielder/forward as well as as a central medio. He really was the last complete footballer we had. Rosicky , again , had everything, but injury devastated his career.
Ozil is an out an out attacking midfielder or withdrawal forward. Don't think he can play central medio where you need to have good snatching/tackling skills also. Sanchez, in some ways was a good snatcher upfield.
Xakha is such a poor replacement for Carzorla/Rosicky. A jack of no trades. Only thing going for him is his long range shooting. Decent.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

How about Isco? Think he could play the cazorla CM role?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dejan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 pm

swipe right wrote:Sanchez—Auba—Ramsey
—————Ozil
—-Cazorla——Torreira
Lol that side will get overrun very easily

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm

swipe right wrote:How about Isco? Think he could play the cazorla CM role?

Would be a class signing, but not happening in a million years. There would be bigger and better teams interested in signing him. All of whom can offer a larger transfer fee, pay him more money and are in a better position to compete for the bigger trophies.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby BrunelGooner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:On an entirely different topic, I watched the Man City/Liverpool game last night, 2 top teams going at it, it was a pleasure to watch. But what stood out the most for me was when Liverpool decided to turn up the heat on City, they were incredible. I have heard so many times on this forum that Arsenal can't compete, Arsenal can't buy big name players, Arsenal can't do this and that and also that Emery's hands are tied. Thats absolute bollox if you ask me ! Look at the starting 11 for Liverpool:

Alisson - €62.5m
Alexander Arnold - Free
Lovren - €25.3m
Van Dijk - €78.8m
Robertson - €9m
Wijnaldum - €27.5m
Henderson - €18m
Milner - Free
Salah - €42m
Firmino - €41m
Mane - €41.2m
Team Total - €345.3m

Now look at Arsenal's starting lineup vs Fulham:

Leno - €25m
Mustafi - €41m
Sokratis - €16m
Koscielny - €12.5m
Maitland Niles - Free
Guendouzi - €8m
Xhaka - €45m
Kolasinac - Free
Iwobi - Free
Aubameyang - €63.7m
Lacazette - €53m
Team Total - €264.2m

Now consider that is Liverpool's full strength team and ours doesn't include Ozil (€47m) and Torreira (€30m), our team would cost €333.2 (removing Iwobi and Guendouzi) thats a €12m difference !!! So why are they so much better than us ? Individually they have 4 stand out players to me, their keeper, CB and 2 strikers. Inc Torreira and Ozil we have 4 stand out players too(with Laca and Auba). Well stating the obvious, Emery has been with us for 5 or so months. Other differences, they play much better as a team, Klopp has got them playing either to their strengths or playing tactics/formations that suit the players. It would be remiss of me to not add a third option, that their players adapted to Klopp's changes well.

I see no reason why Arsenal cannot do the same with the players that we have. To get to their level will take some time but I do not buy the "we cannot compete" argument, we should be seeing steady improvement and a focus on team improvement which absolutely must start with our atrocious defending as a team.

Good post, I largely agree.

What I would say is Liverpool's transfer policy is quite similar to ours in the sense that they rely on player sales, commercial deals and match day income to fund any players coming in. Their owners haven't actually invested any money into the club for transfers.

They received £207m from Coutinho and Suarez sales and have reinvested that money wisely in strengthening their goalkeeper, defence and midfield. All of which were problem positions for them.

Arsenal don't receive that sort of money for their players because our negotiating team haven't been that good or we've let too many players run their contracts down to their final year. Which means they can either bend us over a barrel when it comes to wanting a lucrative contract or other clubs will come in for them and offer them a big signing-on fee.

Liverpool received £19m for Dominic Solanke from Bournemouth. They bought him for £3m. He has 1 goal in 28 appearances for them.

Man City are selling youth prospect Brahim Diaz to Real Madrid for £22m. He has made 5 appearances this season and has 6 months left on his contract.

It puts us to shame that other clubs can command these sorts of fees for unproven players.

But I'm not making excuses here - the reality is, when we have spent money, on too many occasions, we haven't spent it right at all.

Xhaka - £35m
Mustafi - £35m
Cech - £10m
Elneny - £7.4m
Perez - £18m
Kolasinac - free but on £140k p/w (5 year deal which means he will cost us £36m over his contract length).
Mkhitaryan - free but on £140k p/w (3.5 year deal which means he is technically costing us £22m over his entire contract length).

If we accumulate all of that, including the free transfers and the wages they get paid over the entirety of their contract lengths, that is potentially ~£163.4m spent on all of those players.

Think about that. £163.4m. On players that most of the Arsenal fanbase do not rate or think won’t take us to the next level.

And on top of that, we have ageing players on long-term contracts and high wages that will be difficult to shift.

So overall, the mismanagement and mishandling of transfers and players from the previous regime is why we're in a situation where we cannot compete with the likes of City or Liverpool.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football