Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:24 am

Power n Glory wrote:We just got out of a transfer window and people are already saying we don't have the players?

Nonsense. If you're going to set up to play 4 central midfielders and to try and hit Liverpool on the counter, at least play more energetic players that can press and win the ball back. Torreira should have started and Celballos should have been starting as one of the CM's instead of playing top of the diamond.

Having a 4 man midfield and still getting dominated like that for possession is pretty poor. It's not a case of him not having the players to disrupt Liverpool.

I would have played 3 cb and and two wing backs but same tactic just giving away less width, point is Emery set his side out differently he had a plan and if early chances had been taken he may well off changed that shape we will never know
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:43 am

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:We just got out of a transfer window and people are already saying we don't have the players?

Nonsense. If you're going to set up to play 4 central midfielders and to try and hit Liverpool on the counter, at least play more energetic players that can press and win the ball back. Torreira should have started and Celballos should have been starting as one of the CM's instead of playing top of the diamond.

Having a 4 man midfield and still getting dominated like that for possession is pretty poor. It's not a case of him not having the players to disrupt Liverpool.

I would have played 3 cb and and two wing backs but same tactic just giving away less width, point is Emery set his side out differently he had a plan and if early chances had been taken he may well off changed that shape we will never know

Pepe was a live wire and should have taken his chance. I still wonder what the outcome would have been if we had played to our strengths and selected a better team. He's great on attack and would have been likely to create chances for himself regardless. I just wonder if we provided the platform for him to attack with consistency, would we have looked more dangerous?

The idea to stay compact and defend deep isnt a bad idea but I can't see why he felt we needed to play a diamond/ 4-3-1-2. Especially against a team that like to make use of their fullbacks on attack. But regardless of the formation and shape, that wasn't the main problem. Why play Xhaka, Guendouzi and Wilock with Celballos in the free role ahead of them? We had no ball winners and lacked control and directness when in possession. It was always going to be a struggle to get back into the game if we went a goal down. The chances we had came more down to individual brilliance rather than a group of players knowing their job and executing the game plan.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:15 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:

Pepe was a live wire and should have taken his chance. I still wonder what the outcome would have been if we had played to our strengths and selected a better team. He's great on attack and would have been likely to create chances for himself regardless. I just wonder if we provided the platform for him to attack with consistency, would we have looked more dangerous?

The idea to stay compact and defend deep isnt a bad idea but I can't see why he felt we needed to play a diamond/ 4-3-1-2. Especially against a team that like to make use of their fullbacks on attack. But regardless of the formation and shape, that wasn't the main problem. Why play Xhaka, Guendouzi and Wilock with Celballos in the free role ahead of them? We had no ball winners and lacked control and directness when in possession. It was always going to be a struggle to get back into the game if we went a goal down. The chances we had came more down to individual brilliance rather than a group of players knowing their job and executing the game plan.

The diamond was an interesting approach not one I would have used,but then i would have preferred a back 3 of mon luiz and sok with Kos and Amn as wing backs torr guin cebellpus above them with a front two of laca and aub I would have brought pepe off the bench or you could have played auba and pepe in a front two for out and out pace, I dont detest what Emery tried it at least had sign of working. Better than 10 years of the same shit over and over bringing on players into a formation that they dont suit as AW did because it simply never changed.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:15 am

Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:

The diamond was an interesting approach not one I would have used,but then i would have preferred a back 3 of mon luiz and sok with Kos and Amn as wing backs torr guin cebellpus above them with a front two of laca and aub I would have brought pepe off the bench or you could have played auba and pepe in a front two for out and out pace, I dont detest what Emery tried it at least had sign of working. Better than 10 years of the same shit over and over bringing on players into a formation that they dont suit as AW did because it simply never changed.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby PairyGrows » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 am

I was a bit surprised to see people blame Emery's team selection, especially in the midfield, for yesterday's defeat. I'd invite everyone to have a look at Liverpool's midfield and ask themselves: how could we have won the midfield battle?

No matter who we had picked, the midfield Liverpool fielded (Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson) was stronger than anything we could have thrown at them. That would apply to all other areas on the pitch as well. Liverpool were, and still are, lightyears ahead of us, and even us having a decent transfer window did little to bridge that gap.

Let's be honest for a second. We are at least two years away from competing with Liverpool. Sometimes you have to respect the opposition and say: "You know what? We're simply not good enough to compete with them. Let's work hard and see where we'll be in a few years."
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Goonerz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 am

Emery is starting to p!ss me off.
Too pragmatic.
I expected us to go for it. Play Laca, Auba, Pepe, Ceballos in the middle and Play Torreira too.
I am expected us to go all out and test ourselves against a very good Liverpool team.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gooney » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:15 am

PairyGrows wrote:I was a bit surprised to see people blame Emery's team selection, especially in the midfield, for yesterday's defeat. I'd invite everyone to have a look at Liverpool's midfield and ask themselves: how could we have won the midfield battle?

No matter who we had picked, the midfield Liverpool fielded (Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson) was stronger than anything we could have thrown at them. That would apply to all other areas on the pitch as well. Liverpool were, and still are, lightyears ahead of us, and even us having a decent transfer window did little to bridge that gap.

Let's be honest for a second. We are at least two years away from competing with Liverpool. Sometimes you have to respect the opposition and say: "You know what? We're simply not good enough to compete with them. Let's work hard and see where we'll be in a few years."

4-3-3 with torreira xhaka and cebellos. Have the 3 all play deep and play on counter with your 3 attackers
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:25 am

PairyGrows wrote:I was a bit surprised to see people blame Emery's team selection, especially in the midfield, for yesterday's defeat. I'd invite everyone to have a look at Liverpool's midfield and ask themselves: how could we have won the midfield battle?

Good post, the wongerites are just waiting to have a go at every opportunity.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:20 am

It’s not a plan if it falls to pieces after 30 mins.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dejan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 am

Callum wrote:I've no issue with the manager today. The first 40 minutes or so we did a great job of frustrating Liverpool; they consistently resorted to crosses and we had more than enough bodies to deal with them, which lead to very few chances for them. Aubameyang and Pepe both had their moments and looked dangerous on the counter but ultimately their finishing was a little off and van Dijk is van Dijk.

Starting Lacazette would have meant sacrificing a midfielder and I don't think we could have done that. We had a plan and needed some better finishing and Luiz not to have a brain fart, but it didn't quite come off. Liverpool are a step above us so unless you execute the plan perfectly and get a bit of luck along the way, you'll lose to the better side most of the time.

Glad to see we had a plan and I'm confident we'll pick up a big scalp on the road this season. That's our hardest fixture of the season and we're far from our best so am not too worried about the result.
^

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:58 am

VCC wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
VCC wrote:

I think we may have gone too far the other way now. Wenger was a poor tactician and it would take him an age to figure out when a player is not up to scratch. It would cost us games. But with Emery, I fear we have that same problem with his team selection on top of a coach that will tinker too much with the formation and team selection. Xhaka seems to be one if his favourites and by far the weakest link in the squad because of his limitations but still keeps getting games.

The last game we played, I thought we played some really good football. Really enjoyable and I thought Celballos and Pepe added something to our game that I haven't seen in a while. Unpredictable playere willing to take on their man to open things up. Why not build off that result, stick with the same formation, pick a similar squad that played but adjust our approach to be more tight defensively instead of going in a completely different direction?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:12 am

Emery’s tactics are baffling. They have the worlds best full back pairing so he plays a diamond leaving them unmarked and allowing them the chance to fire balls right across our box. We could have been behind 90 seconds into the game when Robertson hit a ball through our defense and a sliding Salah was inches away from tapping home. Emery was lucky for the first 40 mins. But it’s a 90 minute game and it was far more one sided than the 3-1 suggests.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am

Only just watched Klopp's interview where he laughed about being surprised by the system we played. They watched 6 or 7 games and 'no diamond involved'.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 am

Power n Glory wrote:Only just watched Klopp's interview where he laughed about being surprised by the system we played. They watched 6 or 7 games and 'no diamond involved'.

Klopp is like any sane person....we were all baffled by emerys tactics. He will have new formation next match and more wtf selections
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 am

Finally read some reports. We didn't get destroyed like Wenger days. Got beaten by a better team. It happens. On we go
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football