Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Whats not to get, makes perfect sense and should be what Emery is doing. Play to the strengths of the players he has until he can mould the team to his liking by bringing in players suited to it. Its not rocket science.

It's not what top managers do today. Did Pep play direct? Did Klopp eschew pressing?

Huh?? What does any of that have to do with my post?

The point is that Pep and Klopp did not play to the style of the player. City could possibly have won the title in his first season with direct football. They had the pace. That's just not Pep's way though.

Klopp could also conceivably have attempted to play more direct football with Benteke up top in his first year but chose not to

Pep didn't need to do much to a star laden Man City team that already dominated possession. Pep therefore played to the strengths of the Man City players.

Klopp also played to the strengths of his players, you claim Klopp could have played direct with Benteke, but Benteke didn't play a lot of the season, he made 14 or 15 appearances only during that season, according to Wiki. Coutinho and Firmino made 24 appearances, Sturridge 11, Lallana 23 and Ibe 12. So you can see the template for the way they play football now being made early on in his tenure, the foundations well and truly laid. He preferred small, nimble, technical players that could interchange seamlessly, as they do now. They scored 63 goals that season, only Leicester (68), Spurs (69), Man City (71), Arsenal (65) and West Ham (65) scored more goals than them. the only player Klopp brought in in January was Marko Grujić, so clearly he was happy to work with the players he had.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Whats not to get, makes perfect sense and should be what Emery is doing. Play to the strengths of the players he has until he can mould the team to his liking by bringing in players suited to it. Its not rocket science.

It's not what top managers do today. Did Pep play direct? Did Klopp eschew pressing?

The point is that Pep and Klopp did not play to the style of the player. City could possibly have won the title in his first season with direct football. They had the pace. That's just not Pep's way though.

Klopp could also conceivably have attempted to play more direct football with Benteke up top in his first year but chose not to

Pep didn't need to do much to a star laden Man City team that already dominated possession. Pep therefore played to the strengths of the Man City players.

Klopp also played to the strengths of his players, you claim Klopp could have played direct with Benteke, but Benteke didn't play a lot of the season, he made 14 or 15 appearances only during that season, according to Wiki. Coutinho and Firmino made 24 appearances, Sturridge 11, Lallana 23 and Ibe 12. So you can see the template for the way they play football now being made early on in his tenure, the foundations well and truly laid. He preferred small, nimble, technical players that could interchange seamlessly, as they do now. They scored 63 goals that season, only Leicester (68), Spurs (69), Man City (71), Arsenal (65) and West Ham (65) scored more goals than them. the only player Klopp brought in in January was Marko Grujić, so clearly he was happy to work with the players he had.

Sounds like you've both got your wires crossed and making the same point but there is a misunderstanding about what's meant by playing to a teams strength.

At the moment, I don't know what Emery is doing. It looks like he's doing neither because there isn't a clear structure to our game. Besides trying to play it out at the back, overlapping wing backs...I can't see the consistency in our style of play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:08 pm

alexafc12 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:It was very good to hear Emery highlight the need for a CB and winger during the press conference today - excellent news if we can bring in quality in both positions and encouraging that we have, at last, a manager that can see where the weaknesses lie.
:clap:

I was happy at first. Then read his comments re. Suarez and the likelihood he will play him as a winger. I swear we already have so many of these half AM / Winger players. Would much prefer us sign a proper winger tbh

In a 4-3-3 you don't actually need out and out wingers necessarily because the width comes from the overlap of the Fullbacks.

Just saying.

I think the new signings will bought specifically to play Emery;s favoured 4-3-3.

I've noticed against Blackpool and Fulham he's gone back to 4-3-3 and ditched 3-4-3 after the first half of Fulham, which is good because we#e played better since.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:

What is the team's strength?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:12 pm

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby gooney » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Sims wrote:

This is why I was desperate for wenger to go and used to wish the team lose. Just to arrive to this place. Where the hiding behind wenger and together lying to the fans. Now the truth is coming out. I hope the media start to ask questions
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Who the hell is Sam Dean?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Man that is depressing but not altogether surprising. I doubt the club is completely broke, but we don't have enough to buy the players we need. We have a huge wage bill and spent in the summer with limited revenue. Sucks to be us
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Ach wrote:Who the hell is Sam Dean?

At Emery’s press conference today, where he said there will be no permanent signings and only loans
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:46 pm

gooney wrote:
Sims wrote:

This is why I was desperate for wenger to go and used to wish the team lose. Just to arrive to this place. Where the hiding behind wenger and together lying to the fans. Now the truth is coming out. I hope the media start to ask questions

One of the reasons I supported Wenger for long is because he is a manager who is good, if not the best, at working with a limited budget. He got us through the stadium move well and set future managers up to be reasonably competitive. If, however, the club's self-sustaining model continues for too long or stricter rules are not in place regarding club spending, then it won't be too long before any "cheque-book managers" who come here are found out. For the sake of Arsenal's future, I am hoping Unai is not one of them.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 pm

gooney wrote:
Sims wrote:

I agree. Wenger had to go. Sure, he'd lost the plot in his final 3-4 seasons at Arsenal, but more importantly, Wenger's demigod status here was enabling the board to do whatever they wished. There is nowhere to hide now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Angelito wrote:
gooney wrote:
Sims wrote:

I agree. Wenger had to go. Sure, he'd lost the plot in his final 3-4 seasons at Arsenal, but more importantly, Wenger's demigod status here was enabling the board to do whatever they wished. There is nowhere to hide now.

They'll just hide behind Stan now and his incompetence as an owner.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:29 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Man that is depressing but not altogether surprising. I doubt the club is completely broke, but we don't have enough to buy the players we need. We have a huge wage bill and spent in the summer with limited revenue. Sucks to be us

We had over £200m in cash reserves, we are not broke!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Worst board ever?
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Finally, the truth is out. Love Wenger, but he would always have tried to be diplomatic and say shit like "we will buy if the right quality is available".
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football