Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:22 pm

LMAO wrote:Also, it's funny how a number of posters are calling for patience with Emery because of injuries, when a lot of those same posters tore into Wenger for our injury problems.

The cognitive dissonance is incredible.

When Emery gives Welbeck 2 more contract extensions, we'll talk. As it stands, Wenger kept players like: Diaby, Cazorla, Welbz, Wilshere, Mertesacker, Debuchy et al on the books well past the point when it was clear that theyd never be fit enough to feature regularly.

Congnitve dissonance is paying £10m plus salary for Debuchy at Newcastle when we could have extended Sagna's contract for 130k pw. Instead we got Debuchys hospital bills for 3.5 years while Sagna got a nice pay package on the bench at City.
Last edited by Highbury Hillbilly on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:25 pm

LMAO wrote:
Ach wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:If we lose on Thursday, do opinions change? Just wondering what's the tipping point and barometer for some fans.

Is it two years no matter what happens,?

See my sig. I started to turn when Emery failed to bring on Ozil at City. The final straw was playing defensively at Huddersfield. I tried and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt: Not his players. New league. Better results. Yada yada yada.

It's one thing to not be a well-oiled machine but still be able to see ideas being implemented (see: Guardiola first season at City and Klopp's first season at Liverpool). It's another thing to look like a headless chicken. We're playing generic football with little direction. What even is our style besides Kola overlapping with Iwobi who cuts inside? That's not gonna win a PL or a European trophy in today's game.

Emery is fool's gold. We were promised attacking football. We were promised fantastic pressing on defense. But after the first few games, he quit trying that. Those ideas have largely fallen by the wayside. Now our lineups consist of a majority of defensive-minded players against Huddersfield and a bunch of Belarusian farmers. Dafuq?! Not to mention, our most talented player has been frozen out for much of the season.

Emery was never high on my list of people to take over after Wenger, and I think it's time to begin a new search for Arsenal head coach.

Final straw was a game we won?

What would've happened had we lost?

If you play defensively against the worst team in the league, a team that hadn't scored in something ridiculous like 9 games, then it's fair to call the man in charge a bit shit and undeserving of his position. That mindset of defensive play in that situation would be fine at a club like Stoke.

But we won...

I didn't watch the game so I didn't care how we played. Probably would've had I watched but ultimately result trumps all

I cant remember the team we put out for that game, who was available, injured etc
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Losmeister » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:06 pm

LMAO wrote:Also, it's funny how a number of posters are calling for patience with Emery because of injuries, when a lot of those same posters tore into Wenger for our injury problems.

fwiw..

injuries and managing coexist in a noncausal state
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 pm

I'm guilty of this tbh :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:10 pm

"the best central attacking mid in the world. Even today."

12 goals 17 assists in the last 2 years doesnt feel all that legendary to me
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Yep. No questions asked. Bellerin was returning from a calf strain after being out for a few weeks and then does his ACL during a Chelsea game. No questions asked about whether or not he was rushed back or trained too hard. The same standards set for Wenger should also be applied to Unai. He deserves a chance but certain things can't be ignored and brushed over.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:01 am

Trying to get a song going in the stands. Work with me...

Que será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not Emery
Que será, será…
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am

Power n Glory wrote:If we lose on Thursday, do opinions change? Just wondering what's the tipping point and barometer for some fans.

No
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:07 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:

It'll be his first major set back. Opinion wouldn't change but wouldn't be happy. We'd still be in the fight for fourth

Looking beyond 4th place, do you believe he can win us the Premier League title? It sounds as if the bar has been lowered again and we've forgotten the main objective.

Yes
starmandb

Postby LMAO » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 am

aniym wrote:

When Emery gives Welbeck 2 more contract extensions, we'll talk. As it stands, Wenger kept players like: Diaby, Cazorla, Welbz, Wilshere, Mertesacker, Debuchy et al on the books well past the point when it was clear that theyd never be fit enough to feature regularly.

Congnitve dissonance is paying £10m plus salary for Debuchy at Newcastle when we could have extended Sagna's contract for 130k pw. Instead we got Debuchys hospital bills for 3.5 years while Sagna got a nice pay package on the bench at City.

^Exhibit A

Emery supposedly interviewed with this impressive PowerPoint about each of our player's strengths and weaknesses, and blew the socks off Gazidis and Raul in a way the other candidates didn't. So it should stand to reason that Emery knew which of our players were injury prone, but he decided to persist with most of them anyway.

...yet now people are making excuses saying that Emery needs time to get his players in and we went on a 22 game unbeaten run with healthy players (note: Wenger often oversaw similar runs each season), overlooking what Emery himself told the board (and us): that he could polish a turd and win with the squad he inherited.

All I'm asking for is a little consistency in some areas between the standards used to judge Wenger and Emery.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:57 am

LMAO wrote:
aniym wrote:

^Exhibit A

Emery supposedly interviewed with this impressive PowerPoint about each of our player's strengths and weaknesses, and blew the socks off Gazidis and Raul in a way the other candidates didn't. So it should stand to reason that Emery knew which of our players were injury prone, but he decided to persist with most of them anyway.

...yet now people are making excuses saying that Emery needs time to get his players in and we went on a 22 game unbeaten run with healthy players (note: Wenger often oversaw similar runs each season), overlooking what Emery himself told the board (and us): that he could polish a turd and win with the squad he inherited.

All I'm asking for is a little consistency in some areas between the standards used to judge Wenger and Emery.

Doesn’t everyone try to big themselves up at job interviews?

And he could have gone into Oldham Athletic with a plan for how to improve their players, but it’s not necessarily going to succeed (that’s football), and it doesn’t mean they are good players in the first place.

Our fans have to accept that Wenger has left us with far too many inadequate players, and many of them were signed for a lot of money. He could have gone for Virgil Van Dijk at £80m, but instead he went for Mustafi and Xhaka for the same combined price and higher combined wages.

Poor management of the squad over successive years is what has led us here. Not six months of Emery coaching.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 am

LMAO wrote:
aniym wrote:

^Exhibit A

Exactly. Queue more excuses. See above post.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 am

EKB’s living a fantasy.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am

That dossier probably included how he was going to spend the money he gets from selling ozil next summer if he doesn't up his game :sneaky:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:38 am

gooney wrote:us and chelsea have bad managers. chelsea fans want their manager out and find what he has done unacceptable. Emery who has performed worse....our fans are not too down. It shows which club thinks big and which club thinks small

Yes and if i was a Newcastle fan i wouldn't want Rafa out for being 1 point above relegation, because that's their level currently and i don't believe many managers could improve on that.

Similarly, i don't think 1 point behind top 4 with the level of players we have is a bad achievement. Chelsea, on the other hand, should be doing better. Sarri should definitely be doing better with the players he has but i don't think even he deserves to be sacked yet.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football