Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby themessiah » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:30 am

swipe right wrote:The fans will turn on him if he loses to Spurs next weekend.

Liverpool are really f***ing good at playing football. Our battle isn't with them - it's with Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea for top four. I'm confident we'll reach it.

Anyways Emery has to get the team right next week. Playing Liverpool at Anfield is always a challenge, anything but a win against the Spurs next week is a bad result.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ESR10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 am

Emery just needs to be brave, play to our strengths and not respect the opponents too much.
Laca, Auba and Pepe need to start together the majority of games.
We need to play with our strongest formation 4-3-3 almost every game.
I like managers who know when to adapt and when not. They are games, where you apply different tactics to your usual ones.
Emery overdoes adapting, that we don't have any own style. We would play Burnley at home, and Emery would still play to their strengths and weakness instead of playing our own game and that's my issue with him.
He should just stick to our best players and formation in the majority of the games and adapt only when needed.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Mustafi wrote:Emery just needs to be brave, play to our strengths and not respect the opponents too much.
I like managers who know when to adapt and when not. They are games, where you apply different tactics to your usual ones.
Emery overdoes adapting, that we don't have any own style. We would play Burnley at home, and Emery would still play to their strengths and weakness instead of playing our own game and that's my issue with him.
He should just stick to our best players and formation in the majority of the games and adapt only when needed.

I don't think he will change. The tinkering and negativity in the big games has often been a criticism of him before joining Arsenal.

I still think we have enough to finish top 4 though. As seen at Utd, Maguire won't fix their defensive problems and Chelses look terrible. Despite the flaws, Unai should have enough to top Ole and Lampard.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ESR10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Mustafi wrote:Emery just needs to be brave, play to our strengths and not respect the opponents too much.

I don't think he will change. The tinkering and negativity in the big games has often been a criticism of him before joining Arsenal.

I still think we have enough to finish top 4 though. As seen at Utd, Maguire won't fix their defensive problems and Chelses look terrible. Despite the flaws, Unai should have enough to top Ole and Lampard.

True, I also believe in our chances to finish fourth or third with him and maybe win the EL, but I have my doubts that he can take us further than that.
ESR10

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:21 pm

He has a big job on his hands.

The huge void in quality between the two sides yesterday is testament to that. It’ll take us years to get to a level where we’re challenging for the top trophies.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:31 pm

And that has always remained the case with Unai Emery. His career has been riddled with criticism on tinkering with the system, playing negative football, poor performances in big games, struggling in away games, a poor final run-in in the league, and his rigidity as far as personnel go.

It won't change at Arsenal.

Let me ask you something: how many of us actually wanted Unai Emery at Arsenal? Apart from Cripps here, I can't think of any. I wanted Conte or Simeone. Others wanted Ancelotti, Allegri, or Tuchel. Heck, some wanted Arteta. It's simple. He's a good manager but he's not elite.

In fact, Unai Emery is a great manager for a club like Everton. But sadly, he's too smalltime in his approach for Arsenal. I'll hope we finish in the top-4 and win a trophy this season. But that doesn't mean he's immune to criticism.

We had the same problem with Wenger at Arsenal. The same fans who're going out of their way to defend Unai, defended Wenger in the same rigid style. We don't have to do that. The performances speak for themselves.

The sad part for me would be fans "celebrating" a draw against Spurs next week as a display of tactical nous and innovation. Don't be surprised to hear, "We're playing the UCL finalists and people are overreacting because we're drawing against them?"

Give me any manager. If they underperform, I will criticize them. Loyalty to managers ended with Wenger and Wenger is an Arsenal legend. If a new manager wants to see such loyalty, they'd have to win big at Arsenal first.

Top-4 is a cakewalk this season. United and Chelsea are so poor that if Lampard or Solskjaer outwits Unai to 4th place, it'd be the worst season for us in recent times—simply because how clear cut we have it in the race for top-4 this season.

Yesterday, Unai made a huge blunder with the line-up. It's not the first time. If Wenger stuck to his guns, in Unai, we have someone who's too afraid to own a gun. We can't dither in such extremes. We have to be protagonists in matches—using Unai's own words.

I've heard that Klopp found it amusing that we played a diamond. That should tell us everything. We allowed two of the best attacking FBs of last season ample space and actually left two of our most robust players on the bench.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Are we going to have a mass meltdown after every loss?

Oh the fun times we're going to have.

There are bits about yesterday I wasn't happy with but the set up of either offensive (when we lost 5-0) or to TRY hit on the counter is a 50/50 gamble no matter WHICH one you employ.

It was a matter of pick your poison ......... in hind sight, yeah, our new front 3 should of probably got the confidence vote over the hit on the counter, but after the last few times we tried it, I can appreciate a change of tact.

The meltdown to losing to a better team who just won the CL while we're in the Europa was uncecessary.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:54 pm

Our only saving grace is United and Chelsea are more screwed than us. 2019 is weird.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm

Phil71 wrote:He has a big job on his hands.

The huge void in quality between the two sides yesterday is testament to that. It’ll take us years to get to a level where we’re challenging for the top trophies.

What a lot of people seem to misunderstand about Klopp and Liverpool is that it's the manager that makes them tick so effectively. It's not a team built from superstars. Klopp identified undervalued players that he knew he needed to play his style and has coached them into being a great force much like what we saw him do at Dortmund.

Take some of those players out of that Klopp system and they won't be as effective.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:03 pm

It’s true. With the exception of Salah, Mane, van Dyjk and Alison, the rest are not stars.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Angelito wrote:

And that has always remained the case with Unai Emery. His career has been riddled with criticism on tinkering with the system, playing negative football, poor performances in big games, struggling in away games, a poor final run-in in the league, and his rigidity as far as personnel go.

Let me ask you something: how many of us actually wanted Unai Emery at Arsenal? Apart from Cripps here, I can't think of any. I wanted Conte or Simeone. Others wanted Ancelotti, Allegri, or Tuchel. Heck, some wanted Arteta. It's simple. He's a good manager but he's not elite.

In fact, Unai Emery is a great manager for a club like Everton. But sadly, he's too smalltime in his approach for Arsenal. I'll hope we finish in the top-4 and win a trophy this season. But that doesn't mean he's immune to criticism.

We had the same problem with Wenger at Arsenal. The same fans who're going out of their way to defend Unai, defended Wenger in the same rigid style. We don't have to do that. The performances speak for themselves.

The sad part for me would be fans "celebrating" a draw against Spurs next week as a display of tactical nous and innovation. Don't be surprised to hear, "We're playing the UCL finalists and people are overreacting because we're drawing against them?"

Give me any manager. If they underperform, I will criticize them. Loyalty to managers ended with Wenger and Wenger is an Arsenal legend. If a new manager wants to see such loyalty, they'd have to win big at Arsenal first.

Top-4 is a cakewalk this season. United and Chelsea are so poor that if Lampard or Solskjaer outwits Unai to 4th place, it'd be the worst season for us in recent times—simply because how clear cut we have it in the race for top-4 this season.

Yesterday, Unai made a huge blunder with the line-up. It's not the first time. If Wenger stuck to his guns, in Unai, we have someone who's too afraid to own a gun. We can't dither in such extremes. We have to be protagonists in matches—using Unai's own words.

I've heard that Klopp found it amusing that we played a diamond. That should tell us everything. We allowed two of the best attacking FBs of last season ample space and actually left two of our most robust players on the bench.

Most were shocked we played a diamond but yes, Klopp said they had practiced for a different formation. One of their players said they were practising all week to stretch play and hug the flanks because they expected it to be more difficult. We couldn't have practiced much with this formation either.

Anyway, Unai explains his strategy here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribuna.co ... s/3448187/
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:11 pm

In his prime, Emery is as bad as Wenger during his decline.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ESR10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Angelito wrote:

I agree with you. Emery is a good and not an elite manager.
Emery won't take us to the level of competing for the premium and champions league, but I guess, he isn't that bad for our transition period.

If Emery got us back into the CL and winning the EL, he would have done a good job and we can look to the future by targeting a manager of the calibre of Klopp, Pochettino and Guardiola.

Actually I was so pissed off, when Klopp was available and we didn't release Wenger back then to get him.

One of the things I like about Emery though, he's less stubborn than Wenger. He froze Mustafi out after he saw there is no use of playing him. With Wenger he would've probably got a contract extension and would've been playing every game.
So I hope Emery learns from his mistakes, and gets better.
ESR10

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Phil71 wrote:He has a big job on his hands.

I agree with you Phil, but how long have the dippers team being playing together? all this meltdown sh1t is over the top FFS anybody would think this is the last few games of the season. Considering I wasn't too disappointed with the team effort. one of two were the usual shit but we are not playing with the best players yet are we. The fight was still there at the end so we can build. If and that's a big IF the strikers had taken their chances we would of at least go a draw. I am looking forward to the season, considering the state of the team mentally and physically when the don took over he is not doing too bad. Lets see at the end of the season shall we. FFS lets get behind the Team.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Some people are asking Emery to do all of the things we were criticising Wenger for lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football