Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Goonerz wrote:About this “Fan’s money. Not fans money”.
If it was not because of the Arsenal supporters and Fans from around the world (Massive Arsenal Fanbase), then woulf Adidas be paying up £60 million a year? Or would a small poor 3rd world country like Rwanda bother pumping £30 million a year into Arsenal in return for exposure around the world?

It’s like all these Multi-million pound commercial endorsements for Arsenal are done in a vacuum where these multi billion pound corporations just wake up one day and play “spin the bottle”. Which ever club around the world the bottle point to is who gets the £60-£100 million commercial endorsement. The money might not be direct (Merchandise or tickets sale) but surely these corporations look at the marketability first (fanbase).

If it’s not because of the massive fanbase then how come the likes of Barnley, Newcastle, Blackburn, Bolton, Nuneaton etc are not the ones receiving these big multi-million pound commercial endorsements?

The power of a big fanbase (market) is why and what attracted Kroenke invest in Arsenal. You can be a very intelligent business person but you don’t makr money in a vacuum. You need a market (fans) to sell your product to.

Isn’t it?

Simple answer is No ... if Arsenal existed outside the EPL they would have a fraction of their current sponsorship ... the money comes from being part of the most successful sporting brand on the planet ... just ask any team that has dropped out of the top tier ... Arsenal's huge fan-base is just a minuscule part of the EPL's world-wide audience, and it's the entire audience that sponsors are paying for ... sure Arsenal is a bigger brand than most, but if we dropped out of the top tier that would mean feck all ... sponsors don't care who the guy watching their brand supports just as long as he sees their brand.

The bigger the club the bigger the number but it still comes from being part of the EPL ... 60,000 Arsenal fans at the Emirates every week? that's just a cost of doing business. Millions of football fan TV viewers, now you're seeing the big picture

Kroenke bought Arsenal because we represented a fantastic investment opportunity, he saw the TV money coming and got in ahead of the game, I'm sure he would have just as happily bought into any EPL side, we happened to be the best available at the time ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 am

Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:So here’s my question. Had you known the new manager would finish fifth and embarrassingly blow out of the EL, would you still have pushed to terminate Wengers contract, or would you have let it expire this summer and not renewed?

I would have sacked Wenger in October 2011

Wenger wasn't a problem until 2013—conincidentally, we ended our drought that season. We could have won the title in 13/14 if we had also bought Higuain that summer.

In 2011, Arsenal couldn't keep hold of Cesc and Nasri. No manager could have done anything under such circumstances. Yet, Wenger was still finishing in the top-4, whilst spending pittance until 2013.

For Wenger's sake, he should have left at the end of 13/14. For our sakes, we should have asked Wenger to step down once Klopp was available. And, Wenger should have absolutely never received any contract offer at the end of 16/17. That record FA Cup was a fitting way to step down but Gazidis and Kronke messed up as usual.

And they messed up again a season later..

Wenger was a problem the day at Birmingham when he walked on the pitch to pick up Gallas
Then said he didn't know how to lift a team that were top of the table
This followed a January window when he didn't strengthen
A manager who said the season starts here at the end of August in 2011 and went to market having dropped 8 points
Other football managers existed when we lost 3-1 at home Monaco after getting the game back to a manageable 2-1
Another chronic piece of in game management seen so many times
Wengers sake was taken into account between that title implosion and the appalling end to 10/11 season
It should have been quite clear that he was no longer the right man for the job by October 2011 where his gamble in not entering properly into the market before the season had started had failed
Never expected Wenger to walk
He thought he was still the right man for the job
The fact that he wasn't was on the board for not sacking him
Top 4 is not the panacea
Being the best you can be is
That was not the case
Just taking part should never be good enough for Arsenal
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:42 pm

From 2010 for me Wenger had to go, that's when I became Wenger out
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Zedie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Whatever year we signed welbeck was the point of no return. I knew we weren't serious about winning major trophies with that signing.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Godlop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Zedie wrote:Whatever year we signed welbeck was the point of no return. I knew we weren't serious about winning major trophies with that signing.

Welbeck was a deadline day signing because Giroud got injured.
The f**k you talking about.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Godlop wrote:
Zedie wrote:Whatever year we signed welbeck was the point of no return. I knew we weren't serious about winning major trophies with that signing.

Welbeck was a deadline day signing because Giroud got injured.
The f**k you talking about.

No he wasn't.

We were looking at strikers anyway, wasn't that the year we were supposed to buy Higuain? not sure.

regardless we knew we were in for someone, its just they waited till the 11th hour bargain basement and its not the first time they did that either so don't act like it was a one off.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06 am

Sarri moving to Juventus confirmed. Means we can move on Allegri.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:20 am

swipe right wrote:Sarri moving to Juventus confirmed. Means we can move on Allegri.

I feel he'll join ManU after Solskjaer gets sacked in November/December.

Edit: He wants to take a one-year break apparently.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:53 am

Allegri isn't very good. Wouldn't be much of an improvement over Emery tbh

inb4 all the "bUt hE gOt tO tWo cHaMpIoNs LeaGuE FinAls wItH JuVe" yeah, and Enrique won a treble at Barca, but I wouldn't classify him as a very good manager either.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am

Allegri is going for the "one year out" play .... he knows he will be first choice at Utd, PSG, Barca pretty much any top club should they have a terrible start to the season, one year could soon become a few months ... we would be on that list should The Don screw up, but can we offer him any realistic chance of success?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:33 am

Why I’m backing Allegri:
1. We need a manager who can attract big names
2. We need one who’s a master at setting up defenses with mediocre defenders
3. We need a manager who can handle big egos.

Allegri has achieved all three, whereas Unai is lacking in all three areas.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:49 am

LMAO wrote:Allegri isn't very good. Wouldn't be much of an improvement over Emery tbh

inb4 all the "bUt hE gOt tO tWo cHaMpIoNs LeaGuE FinAls wItH JuVe" yeah, and Enrique won a treble at Barca, but I wouldn't classify him as a very good manager either.

I wouldn't put Allegri in that category. He also won Serie A with AC Milan when Inter were the dominate team in the league with 4 titles in a row.

Not liking his style is one thing but he's a bit better than that.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Supposedly Unai is pretty one dimensional with his tactics. His drills on the training ground are said to pretty much solely consist of defence vs attack & midfield. Here’s an example of the one he supposedly practices religiously.

The defence starts with the ball in their 6 yard box, facing towards their own goal, and the strikers and midfielders all stand a few metres behind the 18 yard line. Unai then counts down “3,2,1, CHAAARRRGGGEEE!!!” and on the yell, the midfielders and strikers have to frantically sprint as fast as possible to the defenders to try and win back possession. The aim of the defenders is to absorb pressure before working the ball to the wings and then stampeding up field.

Reportedly players like Özil, Auba, Laca etc. aren’t all too keen on these types of drills hence the slight unrest between them and Unai.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:49 pm

How much time do you spend making this guff up?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Just out here trying to give the community downloads from inside the club ... as soon as I get any news I post
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football