Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Angelito wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Angelito wrote:Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum and he's at Newcastle.

Do you really believe this?

Poor man's Jose Mourinho with an ego larger than the real Mourinho.

Please.

A manager who's won La Liga twice with the same club that Emery later managed and failed to win anything with, has reached the UCL Final twice - winning one of 'em, has won two UEFA Cups/EL, and is Liverpool's greatest modern day manager—who is also the reason why Newcastle are even in the PL and is the reason why there's even talk of them being in it next season over Emery?

Yes, he'd have this side battling for top-4 minimum.

We don't have a bad squad. A top manager would easily finish 4th with this squad.

But apparently, it seems, playing 8 defensive players—3 CBs, 2 FBs, and 2 DMs, sometimes 3, against West f'kin Ham has become the new Arsenal way.

What happened the last time Benny was in charge of a club in La Liga? And since Benny did that with Valencia, football has changed a lot.

Question you should ask yourself is "could benny win La Liga with Valencia now?". I think we both know the answer to that question.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Dead man walking
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 pm

swipe right wrote:You’re having a laugh if you think a squad with Auba, Laca, Ozil, Ramsey, Toerrira, Guendozi, Kola, Kosielncy, Socratis, Bellerin, Leno can’t beat West ham.

You can have a clusterfck of overhyped players like we do. But there is a difference between a cohesive team and a team full of average so called big name players that can’t gell. The same squad for the last 2 seasons and where did we finish? 5th and 6th, now it is just natural progression, we are sinking straight back where our quality has shown for the last 2 seasons (5th or 6th).

And trur Emery has to also look at himself and reevaluate. But with the squad we have and lack of real signings and ambition from the board i can go a bit easy on him at the moment until he can get his own squad.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Santi wrote:Feel like I’ve answered all of this in my post on the last page, probably while you were typing this. Have a read and let me know if you still want to call me dense.

Btw I don’t think he should be sacked, I haven’t called for his head, but he’s not looking good and needs to do much better. I’ve also alluded to the issues with the board.

:)

Did not call you dense specifically, don't put words in my mouth. Did call the idea of bringing in another manager under this current board, while expecting us to do so much better, dense and naive.

You can dream about your Contes and Simeones but the board will never bring anyone like that in, period. You can argue that another manager would do better but what's the point if we won't hire anyone with true ambition.

As for what you were saying, I think you don't truly grasp the meaning of patience. Patience is pushing on and showing support even in the face of obvious frustration. I understand that you're trying to extrapolate how his performances will be in the future based on what he's doing wrong this year, but I still think it's too early to judge.

When judging Wenger, the mantra was always "judge him in May" yet with Emery we're going off the rails in January already. It's hypocritical.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

All about wonga and always will be

Yawn

Yeah let's just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.

The relevance that has is that he's overseen some of the club's biggest successes, promised us the world by moving to the Emirates and then as the club started regressing footballing-wise due to the board just caring about the financial bottom line, leveraging his past success, he's played a role essentially serving as a PR rep to cover up the board's lack of ambition. Now that a new manager's come in, we immediately expect him to take this mediocre team and make them a world class side. Yes he definitely makes mistakes, some of them quite crucial but you can't expect a manager to come to a new club, a new league and have everything figured out immediately. Forget this season, wait for the transfer window and let's see next season 1. if he learns from his mistakes when he's had time to do so and 2. how our board behaves transfer-wise. If we'll be watching the same scenes next year, we know Emery's signing wasn't signalling ambition, but rather the continuation of the status quo.

The board is getting absolutely no pressure while in fact it's with them that everything starts and finishes at this club. What in god's name is the point for calling for another manager when they'll just hire another yes man and refuse to spend money anyway.

I'm so f***ing tired of how narrow minded a lot of posters here are. As if sacking Emery right now would change anything, are you being dense and naive on purpose? Criticize the manager absolutely but to call for Emery's head at this stage is just beyond ridiculous. We've rid ourselves of the manager who was seen as a big factor in why we're not performing, now that he's gone, the board should answer first.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Top post.

Well it’s not really because the whole premise of the post is about people wanting Unai gone. It’s criticism and acknowledgement that he’s not doing enough that is being said by the majority.

I expect most of the forum know by now that alexafc and Gooney are always dramatic in a negative way and if they genuinely want him to go then fine, but I don’t see a mass calling outside of those two for the manager to be sacked. Also nobody is asking for world class, were asking for good performances and a top 4 finish, that’s far from world class.
That for me makes half the points made pretty irrelevant.
Last edited by Santi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Look past evety manager needs time to build his team. Ask yourself these questions and that should determine if you think he is the right man for the job.

1. Does he has clear philosophy we are working towards.

2. After 6 months do you see poditive signs and improvement

3. Is he a strong man who can St nd up to the board? And get his signings?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Nejch wrote:Disappointed how defensively we've set up against fking West Ham United.
Surely questions need to be asked of him but now that Wenger is gone the board needs to be held accountable, big time. I'd like to see Emery get some players he wants and then if we still set up like this, I'll agree that he isn't good enough. Until then, he can't be judged properly.

My own take on the matters at hand (at the moment). But i still think we should be seeing some clear line in what he is trying to do. To be honest right now I can’t tell what he is trying to do with the constant change of formations and personnel.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

gooney wrote:Look past evety manager needs time to build his team. Ask yourself these questions and that should determine if you think he is the right man for the job.

My answer to all 3 would be no and hence I am worried about him as our manager. He should always get until at least the end of the season to prove himself and try and win something, if he can somehow pull out one of the last two cups we’re in then my opinion will greatly improve, but he’ll be on the thinnest ice if he doesn’t demonstrate something to give us hope.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Santi wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

Yawn

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.

The relevance that has is that he's overseen some of the club's biggest successes, promised us the world by moving to the Emirates and then as the club started regressing footballing-wise due to the board just caring about the financial bottom line, leveraging his past success, he's played a role essentially serving as a PR rep to cover up the board's lack of ambition. Now that a new manager's come in, we immediately expect him to take this mediocre team and make them a world class side. Yes he definitely makes mistakes, some of them quite crucial but you can't expect a manager to come to a new club, a new league and have everything figured out immediately. Forget this season, wait for the transfer window and let's see next season 1. if he learns from his mistakes when he's had time to do so and 2. how our board behaves transfer-wise. If we'll be watching the same scenes next year, we know Emery's signing wasn't signalling ambition, but rather the continuation of the status quo.

The board is getting absolutely no pressure while in fact it's with them that everything starts and finishes at this club. What in god's name is the point for calling for another manager when they'll just hire another yes man and refuse to spend money anyway.

I'm so f***ing tired of how narrow minded a lot of posters here are. As if sacking Emery right now would change anything, are you being dense and naive on purpose? Criticize the manager absolutely but to call for Emery's head at this stage is just beyond ridiculous. We've rid ourselves of the manager who was seen as a big factor in why we're not performing, now that he's gone, the board should answer first.

Top post.

Well it’s not really because the whole premise of the post is about people wanting Unai gone. It’s criticism and acknowledgement that he’s not doing enough that is being said by the majority.

I expect most of the forum know by now that alexafc and Gooney are always dramatic in a negative way and if they genuinely want him to go then fine, but I don’t see a mass calling outside of those two for the manager to be sacked. Also nobody is asking for world class, were asking for good performances and a top 4 finish, that’s far from world class.

No. You are asking for good performances and a top 4 finish from a squad not up to the job of either. That's a big difference.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Angelito wrote:Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum and he's at Newcastle.

Do you really believe this?

Poor man's Jose Mourinho with an ego larger than the real Mourinho.

Please.

A manager who's won La Liga twice with the same club that Emery later managed and failed to win anything with, has reached the UCL Final twice - winning one of 'em, has won two UEFA Cups/EL, and is Liverpool's greatest modern day manager—who is also the reason why Newcastle are even in the PL and is the reason why there's even talk of them being in it next season over Emery?

Yes, he'd have this side battling for top-4 minimum.

We don't have a bad squad. A top manager would easily finish 4th with this squad.

But apparently, it seems, playing 8 defensive players—3 CBs, 2 FBs, and 2 DMs, sometimes 3, against West f'kin Ham has become the new Arsenal way.

What happened the last time Benny was in charge of a club in La Liga? And since Benny did that with Valencia, football has changed a lot.

Question you should ask yourself is "could benny win La Liga with Valencia now?". I think we both know the answer to that question.

He wouldn't win La Liga right now because Barca have Messi and there's Simeone—the best manager in the world for a budget side.

Also, the last and only time Emery managed a big club, he finished 2nd in a one-horse race, whilst also getting absolutely embarrassed by Barca and squandering a 4 goal first leg advantage.

The point isn't restricted to one Benitez. The fact is any top manager, or an ambitious manager, would have us challenging for fourth minimum. Also, no top manager would field 8 defensive players against West Ham. And it's not the first time he's done this.

The Arsenal job appears to be too big for Emery and nowhere in his job description is it stated that he has to challenge for the title. That says it all.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Santi wrote:Well it’s not really because the whole premise of the post is about people wanting Unai gone. It’s criticism and acknowledgement that he’s not doing enough that is being said by the majority.

Part of the motivation for what I wrote stemmed from my anger for the people you've mentioned but that's not the sole reason. I see a lot of posters here already settling on the fact that Emery is shit and isn't fit to manage this club, although they don't want to yet state it explicitly. I'm just concerned about the general vibe currently and the overall callous attitude towards a manager who is still finding his way in a new work environment.
Last edited by Nejch on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
Santi wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:

Yawn

Top post.

No. You are asking for good performances and a top 4 finish from a squad not up to the job of either. That's a big difference.

I believe it is capable of at least one or the other for sure. Our best lineup certainly is, which is why I’ve said the injuries haven’t helped him. If you don’t think these players are underperforming then why did we sack Wenger?

And again, from what I’ve read in the news, Emery promised an improvement with the current players and was partly hired on this basis. So I will judge him by that as well.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm

gooney wrote:Look past evety manager needs time to build his team. Ask yourself these questions and that should determine if you think he is the right man for the job.

"1. Does he has clear philosophy we are working towards." - Is 6 months enough time to judge this accurately?

"2. After 6 months do you see poditive signs and improvement" - directly contadicts your opening statement: "Look past evety manager needs time to build his team."

"3. Is he a strong man who can St nd up to the board? And get his signings?" - you can't sign more players when you are the cap of FFP wage cap. Unless you are asking: "3. Is he a strong man who can St nd up to the board? And get his signings who will come and play for free" .
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Santi wrote:

My answer to all 3 would be no and hence I am worried about him as our manager. He should always get until at least the end of the season to prove himself and try and win something, if he can somehow pull out one of the last two cups we’re in then my opinion will greatly improve, but he’ll be on the thinnest ice if he doesn’t demonstrate something to give us hope.

I will give him the end of the season for sure. We have no choice really. In many ways I feel for him as our board are utter cvnts. Ideally what we needed was a very strong manager to come in. Win stuff early and charm the fans and really take performance control of the club. Like wenger. And yes a football club shouldnt be run like that. But witj our board its the only way
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Well it’s not really because the whole premise of the post is about people wanting Unai gone. It’s criticism and acknowledgement that he’s not doing enough that is being said by the majority.

Part of the motivation for what I wrote stemmed for my anger for the people you've mentioned but that's not the sole reason. I see a lot of posters here already settling on the fact that Emery is shit and isn't fit to manage this club, although they don't want to yet state it explicitly. I'm just concerned about the general vibe currently and the overall callous attitude towards a manager who is still finding his way in a new work environment.

Look mate I understand where you’re coming from, it’s annoying that we can’t give him time but I also don’t just want to write off a whole season because of it. If we’re doing that then the club should be giving us tickets for free while we rebuild the squad. I expect something decent this year from both the manager, the board and the players to give me hope for next year. So far I’m getting absolutely nothing from the board or the players and only a little bit from Emery.

Unfortunately for him, he’s the most vulnerable and attackable of the 3. The players aren’t helping him but we can’t ship them all out so he has to do better with what he has cos lord knows the board aren’t f***ing off anytime soon.

I’m still gonna chase this f***ing team round Europe hoping we can win every game with a dodgy last minute goal off Koscielny’s ass, if I didn’t care so much it’s be a lot easier for me honestly, but long term we need improvement on all fronts.
Last edited by Santi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football