Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 am

Santi wrote:Disagree completely but cba to discuss again. Chelsea rely on 1 player and United have spent a lot but doesn't mean they are good.

Stop underrating our team and overrating others. You do realise the year before we got to the final and won it right? If the FA Cup is now some barometer of squad greatness.

Exactly this !!! Spurs area good team with a top quality striker and top quality attacking mid and decent keeper. What makes Spurs punch well above their weight is they play well as a team, thats down to the manager - not individual players, Pochettino has found a way to make them play well.

We are NOT a good team, we are unbalanced, disjointed and we are not getting the best out of our players.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 am

Power n Glory wrote:If we hand over the credit card to Emery without establishing a philosophy or plan, we're going to be in for a world of hurt. He was employed based on a premise that he prefers progressive attacking football and that he could improve our defence with the current crop of players.

I need to see a significant improvement before I agree with allowing him to build his own team. He doesn't having a glowing CV and track record as it is. So far he looks like a great Powerpoint presentation and speech got him the job!

He got the job cause he told the board what they wanted to hear. How he is gonna improve the players and bigged uo their quality. He wasnt first choice ny any means. The others seem to have been more honest. But even now he isnt saying in public what he needs or has communicated to us in any way that has given us reassurance.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:22 am

Marsbar100 wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:They are full backs they are makeshift wide players let's be honest, their goal record is a whooping 21 in 453 games and you want them to provide us the magic outwide lol.

I don't disagree that Ramsey should have started though, I am not convinced by Emery but he will go if he doesn't prove himself, he needs more time to be judged though.

Dude AMN and Bellerin are pure wingers. That’s why they are rather shit at defending. We don’t need them to be scoring goals when we have Auba, Laca and Ramsey or Ozil. I was responding to your point about width and pace on the flanks. The players are there.

I will correct myself and say we need fast, wide players with high technical quality.

These guys are support players they might be pure wingers but at the top level they are failed wingers hence they get shafted to full back positions.

We need a rooster that competes with mahrez/sterling/sane hazard/Pedro/William

Mane/Salah/shaqiri

Please stop using the word roster, they are called squads !! You and Losmeister have been put on notice !

Look at the cost of Mahrez/Sterling/Sane. Look at the cost of Mane/Salah/Shaqiri (actually should be Firmino because he is better than Shaqiri and scores more goals). Its night and day. We have Auba/Laca but we are missing one more, there is plenty of goals in a front line with Auba and Laca, proven, add one more and we have an attack that can compete with all of the above. None of Liverpool's attack cost more than £35m, did they ?? I can't remember.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am

There is no leadership left at Arsenal. Wenger and Gazidis are gone, Kroenke has established full ownership and will disband the board. Snaheli and the Indian dude are not going to get any time from Kroenke. Mislintat will be instructed to buy players with sell on potential and Emery will get isolated and be made the fall guy. Farewell Arsenal.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am

BrunelGooner wrote:
gooney wrote:Then let the next managers bring in his own squad. Give every manager 3 years and 300 million and then judge. Ignore everything they done in the past. Sure he failed at big club or didnt win a single away game in the league his last seville season cause he was playing cowardly every match. Tbh this wont be like wenger. End of season atleast 80% will want him gone i believe.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Also, stop revising history.

He did well on an extremely tight budget at Valencia consistently finishing 3rd, won 3 consecutive European titles at Sevilla ( Wenger couldn't even do this 1 time in 22 years, let alone in 3 years) and won 7 trophies in 2 seasons at PSG. The only place he failed at was Spartak Moscow, but near enough every manager has had times where they've not done well at a certain club.

To be honest though, our personal opinions on him are irrelevant. He needs more time before he can be fairly judged.

Right now, all I'm reading from you and 'swipe right' is a bunch of reactionary, knee-jerk nonsense. Not the fact you're criticising his tactics or team selections - that's fair game - but the fact you want him out after 6 months when he's got a bang average, ageing group of players and has no money to spend.

Well we disagree and most people disagree with you. He does not need more time to be judged fairly. He is being judged on making the defense worse. He is being judged on not utilizing the players he has well. People talk like he was locked in a cage and was released one day and given this job. He needs to learn the playes from start.

He made huge presentation on each player on how he is gonna use them and improve their performance. He is being judged on his negative approach and freezing out your most creative player. If his idea is im gonna make ozil grafter then he can do one
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

Brunelgooner - the difference between Klopp and Guardiola's position is, Man city are the richest club in the world and Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world. They are also 2 of the biggest managerial names and 2 of the best managers in world football. So of course they will get to do what they want.

Liverpool are desperate for success so Klopp was always going to get time and the ability to reinvest all money available where he needed to. Man City are desperate for the CL so of course Guardiola was going to be allowed to spend whatever he wanted on whatever he needs.

You can't compare the calibre of Klopp and Guardiola to Emery, the previous 2 were so-called super managers, Emery isn't.

Anyone remember the narrative, the Prem had most of the super managers, Mourinho, Conte, Guardiola, Klopp and Wenger. Only one missing was Ancellotti
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 am

theHotHead wrote:Brunelgooner - the difference between Klopp and Guardiola's position is, Man city are the richest club in the world and Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world. They are also 2 of the biggest managerial names and 2 of the best managers in world football. So of course they will get to do what they want.

Liverpool are desperate for success so Klopp was always going to get time and the ability to reinvest all money available where he needed to. Man City are desperate for the CL so of course Guardiola was going to be allowed to spend whatever he wanted on whatever he needs.

You can't compare the calibre of Klopp and Guardiola to Emery, the previous 2 were so-called super managers, Emery isn't.

Anyone remember the narrative, the Prem had most of the super managers, Mourinho, Conte, Guardiola, Klopp and Wenger. Only one missing was Ancellotti

You're right, and I don't disagree with you, but what I am saying is these guys were still afforded the apparent luxury that is time to right the previous wrongs. It's taken Klopp and Pochettino 3 years to get them to the level they are now. Yet our fanbase, judging by the comments I've read by certain posters on here, don't seem to have the patience to give Emery time. Which is ridiculous when you consider all the changes that have happened at the club in less than a year.

Liverpool owners didn't invest any of their personal wealth into the club, they made a lot of money from player sales which then allowed them to buy the likes of Van Dijk, Alisson etc to strengthen their weak points. We could have done this too, but the previous regime let our best players run their contracts down when it was made clear a lot earlier that they weren't going to extend their stay at the club. We could easily have got £200m from Sanchez, Gnabry, Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere et al if we'd dealt with player contracts smarter. And instead gave bumper contracts to the likes of Jenkinson and Elneny.

So there has been a lot of financial mismanagement at the club that has contributed to our demise.

Our personal opinions on Emery aren't that important. Unless he has us 10th or 11th, there is no justification for sacking him now or anytime soon, which is what a few other posters have proposed. So, along with Mislintat and Sanllehi, he will need the opportunity to bring in new blood.

Once we get a bit more money, which we will in the Summer from sponsorship deals, and when the likes of Ramsey, Koscielny, Cech, Jenkinson, Elneny etc are off the wage bill, we should be in a healthier position to get better players.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby casual69 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 am

Swiss Ramble looked at how much money owners of the Premier League’s top sides have put into their clubs since 2008.

Manchester City, have benefited the most from owner financing - with a £1.275 billion then Chelsea, who have had £520 million given to them then it’s Manchester United (£318m), Liverpool (£257m), Leicester (£208m) and Sunderland (£189m).

Arsenal are one of just two clubs who have not had a single penny of owner financing over the past decade, along with Middlesbrough.

A few months back, Vinai confirmed that Arsenal would continue to work in this way.

The premier league is a diff beast to when Emery took over, so to compare 1 st seasons of previous managers is irrelevant, given the league has changed substantially since our last manger prior to Emery had his first season.

Omission of Ozil is an issue given our lack of creativity yesterday, however its pretty apparent there is a lingering issue between player and manger.
casual69
Michael Thomas

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 am

Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Godlop wrote:People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis

They left this club in an absolute mess.
Pretty much every big decision in the past 5 years was wrong.

Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger instructing him to sideline Lacazette?

Is Wenger forcing him to play with 3 DMs and 3 CBs in most games?

Is Wenger stopping him from fielding attacking, creative players?

Is Wenger the reason behind Emery's ridiculous tactics?

Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade? Is Wenger responsible for an even worse defensive record than last season?

Although, I do agree that it's Gazidis' fault. He's the one whore hired Emery and it's turning out to be a major blunder.

What is a xG ?

Expected goals, mate.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40699431

How about actual goals?
We have scored 46 in 22 games
08/09 37 scored
10/11 43
11/12 39
12/13 35
13/14 43
14/15 39
15/16 37
17/18 40
Only 2 seasons in the last 10 years we have scored more goals than this season after 22 games
In fact it's only 3 seasons in 15
In 03/04 we scored 42 goals after 22 games and won the league
Defending was and remains the problem
If you are scoring over 2 goals per game there is a pretty strong chance that if you are defending properly you are winning
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby casual69 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 am

Ozil’s Real Madrid stats show his true worth. In 83 starts he created 46 goals, scoring 19. The bulk of these games he had Xabi Alonso and Sami Khedira relieving him of defensive duties.

Özil has never been the engine room of any football team. He’s no Patrick Vieira who can single-handedly take a game by the scruff of the neck. He is the luxury , stick him in the right environment, in the right position, with the right players around him, and there very few if any better No 10s in the world

Emery if he want the job long term should be using these windows to reinforce the midfield and defence to extract better performances from Ozil and we will reap the rewards,not to hit his confidence by criticising him. People need to get off his back and actually value what he CAN bring to the team.
casual69
Michael Thomas

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:53 am

BrunelGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Brunelgooner - the difference between Klopp and Guardiola's position is, Man city are the richest club in the world and Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world. They are also 2 of the biggest managerial names and 2 of the best managers in world football. So of course they will get to do what they want.

You're right, and I don't disagree with you, but what I am saying is these guys were still afforded the apparent luxury that is time to right the previous wrongs. It's taken Klopp and Pochettino 3 years to get them to the level they are now. Yet our fanbase, judging by the comments I've read by certain posters on here, don't seem to have the patience to give Emery time. Which is ridiculous when you consider all the changes that have happened at the club in less than a year.

Liverpool owners didn't invest any of their personal wealth into the club, they made a lot of money from player sales which then allowed them to buy the likes of Van Dijk, Alisson etc to strengthen their weak points. We could have done this too, but the previous regime let our best players run their contracts down when it was made clear a lot earlier that they weren't going to extend their stay at the club. We could easily have got £200m from Sanchez, Gnabry, Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshere et al if we'd dealt with player contracts smarter. And instead gave bumper contracts to the likes of Jenkinson and Elneny.

So there has been a lot of financial mismanagement at the club that has contributed to our demise.

Our personal opinions on Emery aren't that important. Unless he has us 10th or 11th, there is no justification for sacking him now or anytime soon, which is what a few other posters have proposed. So, along with Mislintat and Sanllehi, he will need the opportunity to bring in new blood.

Once we get a bit more money, which we will in the Summer from sponsorship deals, and when the likes of Ramsey, Koscielny, Cech, Jenkinson, Elneny etc are off the wage bill, we should be in a healthier position to get better players.

It didn't take that long for these managers to establish a foundation and style of play. I think that's the confusion. Your referencing how long it took them to start challenging for a title and finding consistency. But it didn't take long for them to establish a style of attack and defence. It took them years to perfect and fine tune those methods, not years to implement.

That's the worrying thing about us now. There isn't a clear direction of how we should be playing. We just played a team that were in a relegation battle this time last season, appointed a new manager and already he has them looking more organised and motivated. That's all we're looking for. I'd be a bit more relaxed about our situation if I thought it was just a case of individual errors costing us but it looks more than that. Our one and only clear game plan seems to be for our wing backs overlap and to drive the ball across the box for an Aubameyang tap in. That's it. We're not pressing, we're not moving the ball up the pitch quickly, we're not more direct, there aren't a core group of players working on a partnership....everything is still messy and unorganised.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:23 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I'm not Emery out but I am alarmed at what he has done so far. Yes I was happy with the 22 game unbeaten streak but I was alarmed out our general play. I have seen nothing from Emery to suggest an improvement. Defensively we are worse, out attack is blunt, our football is mostly dire.

This is what the majority of those criticising Emery are worried about. 6 months in and there is nothing we can see as positives. Our best player marginalised and shit football and now lots of losses. The players are capable of better so I cannot blame them. Emery doesn't get a free pass but he gets a bit of leeway, but he needs to start picking the right players and choosing the right tactics, otherwise he will lose whatever leeway he has with fans very quickly

6 defeats in 8 for George graham in his first season in 86/87 won league cup
4 defeats in 5 92/93 won both domestic cups
5 defeats in 6 02/03 won fa cup
4 defeats in 7 97/98 won a league and cup double
6 defeats in 9 17/18 won fa cup
That's betting without seasons where we didn't win anything
6 defeats in 8 in Bertie mee,s first season future double winner
8 defeats in a row terry Neil's first season fa cup winner
4 defeats in 8 in wengers first season multiple trophy winner

But Starmandb, none of what you wrote is in question, but you have inadvertently made my point for me !!!

George Graham took over a struggling Arsenal whose final league position before he took over in 1985/86 read like this:
Played 42. Won 20. Drew 9. Lost 13. Scored 49. Conceded 47. GD +2. Points 69. We finished 7th.

In his first season Graham played loads of younger players, we finished 4th and won the League Cup:
Played 42. Won 20. Drew 10. Lost 12. Scored 58. Conceded 35. GD +23.

It was clear we were not only better offensively but massively improved defensively !!! In one season !! This is what we are talking about with Emery. We look worse offensively and defensively, I see no improvement in anything so far.

I refer you to my post above
Only 3 seasons out of the last 15 we have scored more goals after 22 games than we have this including the unbeaten season
George had taken over from don Howe who knew How to put on a defensive session
This has been neglected under Wenger for the last 10 years
George gathered together a great defence just like Wenger enhanced them when he took over
After 32 games graham had played Stewart Robson 22
Given his debut by terry Neil
Sold after 5 months
Tony Adams 20 given his debut by terry Neil
David rocastle 19 given his debut by don Howe
Niall Quinn 20 given his debut by don Howe
Perry groves 21 was Graham's first signing
Martin Hayes given his debut by don Howe
Gus ceasar given his debut by don Howe used as a sub by graham
Paul Merson 18 had made 1 sub appearance

Even without the young players given their debut by Wenger still being used by emery
He has used
Torreira 22 1785 mins
Guendouzi 19 1784 mins
Smith Rowe 18 382 mins
Willock 19 270 mins
Saka 17 120 mins
Pleguezelo 21 90 mins
Medley 18 64 mins
Gilmour 18 21 mins
starmandb

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:

It didn't take that long for these managers to establish a foundation and style of play. I think that's the confusion. Your referencing how long it took them to start challenging for a title and finding consistency. But it didn't take long for them to establish a style of attack and defence. It took them years to perfect and fine tune those methods, not years to implement.

That's the worrying thing about us now. There isn't a clear direction of how we should be playing. We just played a team that were in a relegation battle this time last season, appointed a new manager and already he has them looking more organised and motivated. That's all we're looking for. I'd be a bit more relaxed about our situation if I thought it was just a case of individual errors costing us but it looks more than that. Our one and only clear game plan seems to be for our wing backs overlap and to drive the ball across the box for an Aubameyang tap in. That's it. We're not pressing, we're not moving the ball up the pitch quickly, we're not more direct, there aren't a core group of players working on a partnership....everything is still messy and unorganised.

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm

swipe right wrote:There is no leadership left at Arsenal. Wenger and Gazidis are gone, Kroenke has established full ownership and will disband the board. Snaheli and the Indian dude are not going to get any time from Kroenke. Mislintat will be instructed to buy players with sell on potential and Emery will get isolated and be made the fall guy. Farewell Arsenal.

Great so go and support Wenger FC then and spare us all.

You can have fun watching him not being asked to compete somewhere else.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:

Emery first 32 games at Arsenal
W 20 d 6 l 6
F 64 a 38

Klopp first 32 games at Liverpool
W14 d 11 l 7
F 49 a 34

Pochetino first 32 games at Tottenham
W18 d7 l 7
F 53 a34
starmandb