Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 am

swipe right wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:They are full backs they are makeshift wide players let's be honest, their goal record is a whooping 21 in 453 games and you want them to provide us the magic outwide lol.

I don't disagree that Ramsey should have started though, I am not convinced by Emery but he will go if he doesn't prove himself, he needs more time to be judged though.

Dude AMN and Bellerin are pure wingers. That’s why they are rather shit at defending. We don’t need them to be scoring goals when we have Auba, Laca and Ramsey or Ozil. I was responding to your point about width and pace on the flanks. The players are there.

I will correct myself and say we need fast, wide players with high technical quality.

These guys are support players they might be pure wingers but at the top level they are failed wingers hence they get shafted to full back positions.

We need a rooster that competes with mahrez/sterling/sane hazard/Pedro/William

Mane/Salah/shaqiri
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 am

It was entirely the manager's fault at West Ham. He put up a team that was short of skills to deal w/WH.
Who would line up Iowbi, Guandonzi and Xakha against a pretty decent West Ham midfield, when Torreira and Ramsey were available ? They struggled , and entirely lost the midfield to by middle of 1st half only to recover very late, when Ramsey and Torreira came in. It was whimsical and stupid, and AFC were aptly dominated.
It seems Emery's shelving of Ozil, shows his ugly egotistical side, and his personal feelings taking over the priorities of the team. Absolutely ridiculous! His ham handed handling of senior players seems to affecting the morale of the team. They were well below their usual self.
Difficult times ahead!!
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:22 am

Could this be a language and communication problem? I was just reading about his time at PSG. He refused to use a translator, tried to speak in French and some of what he'd say would confuse the players.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.expres ... nglish/amp

For me, buying new players might not solve the problem. I look at the team selection and then look at how they play on the pitch and wonder what it is he's trying to achieve. It's a mess. Even his favourite players like Xhaka, Aubameyang and Guendouzi, aren't pressing and working hard off the ball.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:52 am

People defending him using the squad as excuse are full of sh1t. Yesterday he started with 3 cbs. He had 2 full backs and he had 3 fullbacks on the bench. So 9 of the 18 players he selected was keepers and defenders. You telling me starting AMN as right back and bellerin on the bench isnt enough. He rathrr have lich on the bench instead of ozil?
You use your squad to the best you can until you replace the players. He cant afford to freeze out ozil when he has so little creativity in the team. And prefering a player who signed for another club ahead of him is pathetic.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby BrunelGooner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 am

EliteKiller wrote:We can put them back in their box, we just need to be realistic and patient, then make root and branch changes from the last decade.

This is exactly why I said Emery had a 'free hit' this season.

By that I don't mean we can finish 9th or 10th without any repercussions - our squad isn't that bad.

But the squad is clearly lacking depth, quality and balance. And there isn't/should not be any expectation on Emery to significantly overperform from last season based on the dire state Wenger and Gazidis left it in. Coupled with the fact he is taking over a man who was at the helm for 22 years, and stayed for about 6 or 7 years too long, as well as recently completely restructuring and restaffing the entire club, means we have to be pragmatic about the time it will take for us to get back to playing at a good level again.

People can deny it all they want, but Emery DID inherit a mess. City, Liverpool, Spurs, United and Chelsea ALL have better squads than us. We have the 6th best squad in the league, so based on league position, we are roughly where we should be.

Look at half our squad:

Welbeck - not good enough, needs to go.
Mkhitaryan - not good enough, needs to go.
Kolasinac - a complete liability when defending and he's on £190k per week, has to go
Monreal - good servant, but about to be 33 and isn't part of our future
Koscielny - needs to be sold, not good enough.
Ramsey - average career with a few glimpses of brilliance. Needs to go.
Mustafi - one of the worst signings we've made in the last decade. Needs to go.
Xhaka - can safely say he is the most brainless midfield player I've seen at the club. Not good enough. Needs to go.
Ozil - on £350k per week, he isn't worth the money. Needs to go.
Jenkinson - how is this fraud still at the club?
Elneny - good squad player, but barely plays and doesn't contribute a lot. Needs to go.

On top of that, there are huge question marks over the calibre of Iwobi and AMN by many Arsenal fans as well.

So looking at those players we have, how many of them would get into the starting 11 - or even the squads - of any of the sides above us?

Anyone that thinks we have a divine right to be in the top 4, with a squad that is littered with utter garbage like this, needs to get their head checked.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:23 am

Free season? Utter nonsense. So he can make all retarded decisions first season and we ignore them. But suddenly he is gonna be different secibd season. Yesterdays selection alone justify sacking. Explain how its in the clubs interest to have 3 right backs in 18 man squad ahead of ozil? 8 defenders and 2ckeepers in 18 man squad. Put himself in situation where he has to bring in a rb and a dm when needing goals. To spite ozil he puts in 2 players nketiah and lich he would never put in just to block ozil. A manager is supposed to be judged on how well he use his squad. Not how well he use after he built a squad
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:42 am

Seriously I have never heard such nonsense. Pardon him until he gets to bring in all his own players. Which club operates like that? And what if he brings in a bunch of shit? Let’s be honest his boys are Banega and Nzonzi. Not exactly world beaters. But he’s had this problem before. Fell out with all the star players at PSG. maybe this level isn’t for him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 am

Marsbar100 wrote:
gooney wrote:We have to be honest with each other. Are we a big club? Because no one ever says you should have a free season at a big club. manager or player......if we gonna give manager free season. Why not give every player in their first season. Meaning no player no matter how they perform should be sold after first free season. This is football at the highest level....no such thing as free season. He is expected to get CL football and he has 2 ways to get it. If he fails he will be under huge pressure start of next season. For me its a sackable offense if he doesnt get CL. We dont owe him anything to give him more time

Financially we aren't a big club, if we was city we would have got rid of 10 players in the summer and purchased 10 players.

Does that mean we do a Wenger and hold up the white flag and say we can't win the pl or cl? Of course not.

We have a structure at the club in place, there is proper people to do recruitment, sort out contracts, do commercial deals, modern doctors, etc....

Things we didn't have under Wenger, we are changing its not going to happen overnight and it's not going to be easy to beat the sugar daddy's but we can certainly do a hell of a lot better than what we did with the surrending french man.

Of course we are a big club financially, just because ee can't compete with Man City (joint richest in world) snd Man U (biggest club in the world) doesn't mean we are not big. We have been in the top 5 in revenue for the past 15 or do years, its also the reason Arsenal are in the top group of UEFA clubs that meet to discuss football and help decide policy. We matter.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby BrunelGooner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 am

Are you guys serious?

Who said anything about ignoring retarded decisions? I certainly haven't.

Which club operates like that? Errr...most of them. Look at the squad Liverpool had when Klopp took over and look at the squad he has now. I think there are like 2 players from back in 2015 that are in the current starting 11 in 2019. It's been a complete overhaul and he's been able to get the players he wants in. Now they're reaping the benefits.

Even after Guardiola's mediocre 1st year at City, the following year he buys: an expensive new goalkeeper, an expensive new right back, expensive new left back, £26m on a back-up right back, over £45m on a centre-half and £45m on a young, attacking midfielder. They win a domestic double. So every club operates like this.

You wait until a manager can assess the squad, see if they are capable of fulfilling the responsibilities the manager wants and if not, you get them out and bring in new players.

Guardiola's first season at City wasn't great. Neither was Klopp's. Neither was Pochettino's.

So how are you guys expecting him to achieve 80+ points or whatever it is with a squad as poor as ours in his first season?

I actually agree that I don't think his tactics or team selections have been good, and he certainly is not exempt from criticism. Especially for yesterday's showing, that was an abomination.

But we need to recharge mentalities, in addition to personnel. You guys severely underestimate the calamity the previous set-up put us in. Right now, based on where we are in the league, I think he has us roughly where we should be when you take all factors into consideration.

Again I will ask, which team in the top 4 should we be ahead of exactly?

If both of you thought this whole thing was going to be an easy fix, then I don't really know what to tell you. That's not how the world works.

We need to find out more about what he can do from next season to see if he can cut it with us or not.

Getting rid of him now would put us right back to square 1.
Last edited by BrunelGooner on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

swipe right wrote:Seriously I have never heard such nonsense. Pardon him until he gets to bring in all his own players. Which club operates like that? And what if he brings in a bunch of shit? Let’s be honest his boys are Banega and Nzonzi. Not exactly world beaters. But he’s had this problem before. Fell out with all the star players at PSG. maybe this level isn’t for him.

Then let the next managers bring in his own squad. Give every manager 3 years and 300 million and then judge. Ignore everything they done in the past. Sure he failed at big club or didnt win a single away game in the league his last seville season cause he was playing cowardly every match. Tbh this wont be like wenger. End of season atleast 80% will want him gone i believe.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am

If we hand over the credit card to Emery without establishing a philosophy or plan, we're going to be in for a world of hurt. He was employed based on a premise that he prefers progressive attacking football and that he could improve our defence with the current crop of players.

I need to see a significant improvement before I agree with allowing him to build his own team. He doesn't having a glowing CV and track record as it is. So far he looks like a great Powerpoint presentation and speech got him the job!
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Roycck » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am

I just saw his [pst match conference i was like wtf, Ozil is definitely needed against West Ham and he decided not to use him.
Roycck
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 am

I'm not impressed.
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 am

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I'm not Emery out but I am alarmed at what he has done so far. Yes I was happy with the 22 game unbeaten streak but I was alarmed out our general play. I have seen nothing from Emery to suggest an improvement. Defensively we are worse, out attack is blunt, our football is mostly dire.

This is what the majority of those criticising Emery are worried about. 6 months in and there is nothing we can see as positives. Our best player marginalised and shit football and now lots of losses. The players are capable of better so I cannot blame them. Emery doesn't get a free pass but he gets a bit of leeway, but he needs to start picking the right players and choosing the right tactics, otherwise he will lose whatever leeway he has with fans very quickly

6 defeats in 8 for George graham in his first season in 86/87 won league cup
4 defeats in 5 92/93 won both domestic cups
5 defeats in 6 02/03 won fa cup
4 defeats in 7 97/98 won a league and cup double
6 defeats in 9 17/18 won fa cup
That's betting without seasons where we didn't win anything
6 defeats in 8 in Bertie mee,s first season future double winner
8 defeats in a row terry Neil's first season fa cup winner
4 defeats in 8 in wengers first season multiple trophy winner

But Starmandb, none of what you wrote is in question, but you have inadvertently made my point for me !!!

George Graham took over a struggling Arsenal whose final league position before he took over in 1985/86 read like this:
Played 42. Won 20. Drew 9. Lost 13. Scored 49. Conceded 47. GD +2. Points 69. We finished 7th.

In his first season Graham played loads of younger players, we finished 4th and won the League Cup:
Played 42. Won 20. Drew 10. Lost 12. Scored 58. Conceded 35. GD +23.

It was clear we were not only better offensively but massively improved defensively !!! In one season !! This is what we are talking about with Emery. We look worse offensively and defensively, I see no improvement in anything so far.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby BrunelGooner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am

gooney wrote:Then let the next managers bring in his own squad. Give every manager 3 years and 300 million and then judge. Ignore everything they done in the past. Sure he failed at big club or didnt win a single away game in the league his last seville season cause he was playing cowardly every match. Tbh this wont be like wenger. End of season atleast 80% will want him gone i believe.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Also, stop revising history.

He did well on an extremely tight budget at Valencia consistently finishing 3rd, won 3 consecutive European titles at Sevilla ( Wenger couldn't even do this 1 time in 22 years, let alone in 3 years) and won 7 trophies in 2 seasons at PSG. The only place he failed at was Spartak Moscow, but near enough every manager has had times where they've not done well at a certain club.

To be honest though, our personal opinions on him are irrelevant. He needs more time before he can be fairly judged.

Right now, all I'm reading from you and 'swipe right' is a bunch of reactionary, knee-jerk nonsense. Not the fact you're criticising his tactics or team selections - that's fair game - but the fact you want him out after 6 months when he's got a bang average, ageing group of players and has no money to spend.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football