Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Losmeister » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:03 pm

interesting posts here today... we wanted a change and we didnt know how that was gonna look.. we could go up pr down...

and what exactly is emery's style? i cant really say too much about that beyond it seems to differ greatly from wengers.

lastly... our roster is a second tier roster. if you cannot see that with your own 2 eyes, then you may as well cease watching sports cos you dont know wtf you are looking at.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm

He told us he wanted attack focus play with lots of pressing when without the ball.

We’ve got neither.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Nejch wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Exactly and this is the fundamental point you missed when you claimed we want top football and top 4 or whatever it was you said.

No!!

What we want is to be competitive, if we lose but at least we try and look competitive then so be it. When we lost that game against Chelsea I dare say most of us were pleased because we gave it a go, we had chances to win and should have won. We lost but we had reason to be proud of the players.

This is what we want and what Emery is doing at the moment is total foolishness.

You seemed to have missed my fundamental point as well, though. I was saying that we should be sensible and patient about judging Emery's performance and whether or not he is good enough for this club. We have played some very good football this season so we know what we're capable of. What I take issue with is people overreacting and catastrophizing after a couple of bad results. Surely there are some things about Emery that are very worrying but let's just see if these worrying trends continue. If he figures out what he's doing wrong, repents and tries to improve, which is possible, then we should get behind him. If he decides to be arrogant and not budge in certain aspects, then I'll agree we need to move on. It's too early to tell. I'll give him until next season this time of year to start making judgments about his philosophy, character and abilities. Until then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not Emery out but I am alarmed at what he has done so far. Yes I was happy with the 22 game unbeaten streak but I was alarmed out our general play. I have seen nothing from Emery to suggest an improvement. Defensively we are worse, out attack is blunt, our football is mostly dire.

This is what the majority of those criticising Emery are worried about. 6 months in and there is nothing we can see as positives. Our best player marginalised and shit football and now lots of losses. The players are capable of better so I cannot blame them. Emery doesn't get a free pass but he gets a bit of leeway, but he needs to start picking the right players and choosing the right tactics, otherwise he will lose whatever leeway he has with fans very quickly
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 pm

19 subs at half time so far which is PL record. Is this positive or negative?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby rewb1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Santi wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:f**k me, we can't even win ugly atm... Real, Chelsea, PSG and City was a progression thing. They won ugly first, then wanted their brand to improve.

We're currently the reverse of that trend. Sad but true.

And Liverpool? They lost games at first but playing Klopp's style. City did the same under Pep, played his way but dropped points in getting used to it.

Yes they both spent big after, which we wont, but I don't think Emery has an attractive brand of football that he's bringing so he HAS to get results. If you're going to be results based (hi jose all his career) then you have to win. He did for a while and needs to do it again.

That was the point.

the football this season has been better than the football under wenger last season. just f***ing wait till emery gets his spanish flair players
rewb1
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby rewb1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 pm

alexafc12 wrote:He told us he wanted attack focus play with lots of pressing when without the ball.

We’ve got neither.

cant play pressing football with the players we have that why he stopped trying. you thing the pressing football in Klopps first season was perfect? because im telling you it wasnt.
rewb1
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:15 pm

gooney wrote:19 subs at half time so far which is PL record. Is this positive or negative?

Overdoing it
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ESR10 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 pm

FB_IMG_1547324324897.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 pm

rewb1 wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:He told us he wanted attack focus play with lots of pressing when without the ball.

We’ve got neither.

cant play pressing football with the players we have that why he stopped trying. you thing the pressing football in Klopps first season was perfect? because im telling you it wasnt.

Ok fine, so fix up the team offensively or defensively, but he is doing neither, we are worse than ever.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby BrunelGooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 pm

We are 5th, 6 points behind 4th (could be 3 points behind if we beat Chelsea next week...big IF obviously) and are still in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

How many of us would have taken this when Emery took over?

Serious question.

A lot of Arsenal fans said Emery would have a 'free hit' this season and they didn't have huge expectations for us this season. I think the 22-game unbeaten run deceived a lot of people in terms of how much we'd progressed. Myself included.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Here's the thing that personally frustrates me the most. People have correctly pointed out that the board has been making horrible decisions for a while now and that it's going to take time to steer the ship in the right direction. For example, we could've had Kante instead of Xhaka for the same money. Mane and Salah cost less than Mustafi who is a flop. Not fixing contract situations on time and losing players on free transfers. Not getting rid of deadwood on time etc, etc...

The problem is that it doesn't feel like we've turned a new leaf, at all.

Emery decided Ozil and Ramsey (and partially Lacazette) can't fit in his system? Why couldn't he decide that in the summer when he could've sold both and used that money to bring in the players he wants? No, better to keep them and alienate the fans by freezing them out of the team and even lose Ramsey on a free?

Horrible decision after horrible decision by the board and now by Emery. It's not even about spending more money. We've spent enough since 2014 if you look at the net spend. Something has to change or we're going to stay in the EL for a long time.
Last edited by Jedi on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ESR10 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Too many tactical f**k ups lately. Yes he inherited Wengers mess, but he doesn't seem to be going in the right direction of fixing it.
ESR10

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm

It looks like the honeymoon period is over for Emery.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Jedi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:We are 5th, 6 points behind 4th (could be 3 points behind if we beat Chelsea next week...big IF obviously) and are still in the Europa League qualifying rounds.

How many of us would have taken this when Emery took over?

Serious question.

A lot of Arsenal fans said Emery would have a 'free hit' this season and they didn't have huge expectations for us this season. I think the 22-game unbeaten run deceived a lot of people in terms of how much we'd progressed. Myself included.

The results so far are average but acceptable for me. If this trend continues and we have a season where we barely improve on the last one It's not worth a sacking to me. The thing that worries me is the situation with Ozil, Ramsey, and Lacazette.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:56 pm

We were fine until we lost holding. I think his development was one of the biggest things that could've made this season. Him and Bellerin seemed to go into the season almost 'like new signings' as wenger used to say!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football