Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Mods there's a turd blocking the toilet
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Nejch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:09 pm

swipe right wrote:I’ll tell you this, if Wenger had Aubameyang and Torreira for a full season we wouldn’t be finishing sixth.

If it were up to Wenger we would have never signed Auba in the first place. So what even is the point of this argument?
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:09 pm

swipe right wrote:I’ll tell you this, if Wenger had Aubameyang and Torreira for a full season we wouldn’t be finishing sixth.

I'll tell you this. Wenger would have never bought Torreira.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:17 pm

UFGN wrote:Mods there's a turd blocking the toilet

Yeah, it's called Emery.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.

So the manager has nothing to do with it? We are creating and shooting less than ever. We just have to admit he is a negative manager who dont like flair players. If you are providing attractive football you get leeway. Play negative boring football and get no result means fans will turn on you. But he can serve this the next 12 months and some fans will be behind him. I mean wenger had this for years

Whether we're positive or negative in our approach doesn't make a difference, when the players aren't good enough to get results on a consistent basis. The vast majority of the players simply aren't good enough. If we played all out attack, we'd get f***ked because our defence is shocking. What do you do?

The manager maybe to blame in part. But, given the absolute dross in this squad, I'm willing to give him time to try to get the players in to put his vision in place.

If he's not good enough, he will have to go too.

The squad is not great. But dont make them out to be a fulham. If you are gonna argue no one can do better....you are flat out wrong. A top manager never comprise his ways. If you are saying player for player we have the worst defense in the league. Thats nonsense.

I don't even know where to start with this post.

Mate you are full of hot air at the moment. Please start, clearly you have a lot to say about Gooney's post, I would love to hear what you think he said that is rubbish or wrong.

This team are capable of far more than they are showing at the moment! FACT.

The same bloody players went 22 games unbeaten, during that run we were competitive against the other top 6 clubs.

Now we are atrocious.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Santi wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:
Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

All about wonga and always will be

Yawn

Yeah let's just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.

The relevance that has is that he's overseen some of the club's biggest successes, promised us the world by moving to the Emirates and then as the club started regressing footballing-wise due to the board just caring about the financial bottom line, leveraging his past success, he's played a role essentially serving as a PR rep to cover up the board's lack of ambition. Now that a new manager's come in, we immediately expect him to take this mediocre team and make them a world class side. Yes he definitely makes mistakes, some of them quite crucial but you can't expect a manager to come to a new club, a new league and have everything figured out immediately. Forget this season, wait for the transfer window and let's see next season 1. if he learns from his mistakes when he's had time to do so and 2. how our board behaves transfer-wise. If we'll be watching the same scenes next year, we know Emery's signing wasn't signalling ambition, but rather the continuation of the status quo.

The board is getting absolutely no pressure while in fact it's with them that everything starts and finishes at this club. What in god's name is the point for calling for another manager when they'll just hire another yes man and refuse to spend money anyway.

I'm so f***ing tired of how narrow minded a lot of posters here are. As if sacking Emery right now would change anything, are you being dense and naive on purpose? Criticize the manager absolutely but to call for Emery's head at this stage is just beyond ridiculous. We've rid ourselves of the manager who was seen as a big factor in why we're not performing, now that he's gone, the board should answer first.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Top post.

Well it’s not really because the whole premise of the post is about people wanting Unai gone. It’s criticism and acknowledgement that he’s not doing enough that is being said by the majority.

I expect most of the forum know by now that alexafc and Gooney are always dramatic in a negative way and if they genuinely want him to go then fine, but I don’t see a mass calling outside of those two for the manager to be sacked. Also nobody is asking for world class, were asking for good performances and a top 4 finish, that’s far from world class.
That for me makes half the points made pretty irrelevant.

Exactly!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:We’ve done better under him at the start of the season, I know there were lucky games in the 22 game unbeaten run but we also showed our quality against Leicester and Liverpool. We can do better than this, we can score more than we have done the last few weeks and the other two fighting for top 4 keep choking as well.

I want us to prioritise the cups, have done for a while, but the league isn’t over even with this shit result. We just need the spirit and belief back, the Christmas period stuffed that out of the players and seemingly the fans (myself for sure)

I can get behind this, glad to see some positive and reassuring rhetoric. We are better than this, despite our blatant shortcomings. We've played some great football this year and we can take on any team on our day.

Exactly and this is the fundamental point you missed when you claimed we want top football and top 4 or whatever it was you said.

No!!

What we want is to be competitive, if we lose but at least we try and look competitive then so be it. When we lost that game against Chelsea I dare say most of us were pleased because we gave it a go, we had chances to win and should have won. We lost but we had reason to be proud of the players.

This is what we want and what Emery is doing at the moment is total foolishness.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Sims wrote:

tick tock tick tock tick tock

Guess you have not seen Alan smiths article in the week about the facts that there have been less shots in the premier league including all top sides. Yet we are heading for the most premier league goals in a season ever
Teams are working smarter
Not saying we were not pretty poor today
But we have scored a hatful this season and it was the first league game we have drawn a blank since the opening day
46 goals after 22 games
Better than all but 3 of the seasons listed
03/04 42
05/06 34
06/07 41
07/08 43
08/09 37
10/11 43
11/12 39
12/13 35
13/14 43
14/15 39
15/16 37
17/18 40
I shot the sheriff
But I didn't f***ing score though
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.

So the manager has nothing to do with it? We are creating and shooting less than ever. We just have to admit he is a negative manager who dont like flair players. If you are providing attractive football you get leeway. Play negative boring football and get no result means fans will turn on you. But he can serve this the next 12 months and some fans will be behind him. I mean wenger had this for years

Whether we're positive or negative in our approach doesn't make a difference, when the players aren't good enough to get results on a consistent basis. The vast majority of the players simply aren't good enough. If we played all out attack, we'd get f***ked because our defence is shocking. What do you do?

The manager maybe to blame in part. But, given the absolute dross in this squad, I'm willing to give him time to try to get the players in to put his vision in place.

If he's not good enough, he will have to go too.

The squad is not great. But dont make them out to be a fulham. If you are gonna argue no one can do better....you are flat out wrong. A top manager never comprise his ways. If you are saying player for player we have the worst defense in the league. Thats nonsense.

I don't even know where to start with this post.

Mate you are full of hot air at the moment. Please start, clearly you have a lot to say about Gooney's post, I would love to hear what you think he said that is rubbish or wrong.

This team are capable of far more than they are showing at the moment! FACT.

The same bloody players went 22 games unbeaten, during that run we were competitive against the other top 6 clubs.

Now we are atrocious.

Fine.

"The squad is not great. But dont make them out to be a fulham. " I have never, nor will ever allude or imply to this squad being equal or worse than Fulham. I don't know how Gooney came up with this by me saying "the squad isn't good enough to be getting results consistently".

"If you are gonna argue no one can do better....you are flat out wrong." I have not, nor will I ever allude or imply that nobody could do a better job than Emery. Nothing in my post even suggested that.

"A top manager never comprise his ways." You tell me what this has got to do with my quoted post, because I don't even know.

"If you are saying player for player we have the worst defense in the league. Thats nonsense." I didn't say we have the worst defence in the league, player for player or otherwise. I said " our defence is shocking. ".

Are you now satisfied?
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Godlop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:50 pm

People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis

They left this club in an absolute mess.
Pretty much every big decision in the past 5 years was wrong.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Godlop wrote:People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Godlop wrote:People blame Unai Emery but the biggest problem for Arsenal is still the same as the past 10 Seasons.

Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger instructing him to sideline Lacazette?

Is Wenger forcing him to play with 3 DMs and 3 CBs in most games?

Is Wenger stopping him from fielding attacking, creative players?

Is Wenger the reason behind Emery's ridiculous tactics?

Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade? Is Wenger responsible for an even worse defensive record than last season?

Although, I do agree that it's Gazidis' fault. He's the one whore hired Emery and it's turning out to be a major blunder.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:00 pm

You mean the two players he didn't want?

He wanted to keep Giroud instead of getting Aubamaeyang and had to be forced into accepting it and he had 5 years+ as the man in charge of transfers to buy a CDM and he didn't bother.

Fk Wenger, he's fully culpable.

Wenger wanted to keep a striker who has scored 1 goal all season over Auba who has 14 goals.

Trash!
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Angelito wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Angelito wrote:Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum and he's at Newcastle.

Do you really believe this?

Poor man's Jose Mourinho with an ego larger than the real Mourinho.

Please.

A manager who's won La Liga twice with the same club that Emery later managed and failed to win anything with, has reached the UCL Final twice - winning one of 'em, has won two UEFA Cups/EL, and is Liverpool's greatest modern day manager—who is also the reason why Newcastle are even in the PL and is the reason why there's even talk of them being in it next season over Emery?

Yes, he'd have this side battling for top-4 minimum.

We don't have a bad squad. A top manager would easily finish 4th with this squad.

But apparently, it seems, playing 8 defensive players—3 CBs, 2 FBs, and 2 DMs, sometimes 3, against West f'kin Ham has become the new Arsenal way.

What happened the last time Benny was in charge of a club in La Liga? And since Benny did that with Valencia, football has changed a lot.

Question you should ask yourself is "could benny win La Liga with Valencia now?". I think we both know the answer to that question.

He wouldn't win La Liga right now because Barca have Messi and there's Simeone—the best manager in the world for a budget side.

Also, the last and only time Emery managed a big club, he finished 2nd in a one-horse race, whilst also getting absolutely embarrassed by Barca and squandering a 4 goal first leg advantage.

The point isn't restricted to one Benitez. The fact is any top manager, or an ambitious manager, would have us challenging for fourth minimum. Also, no top manager would field 8 defensive players against West Ham. And it's not the first time he's done this.

The Arsenal job appears to be too big for Emery and nowhere in his job description is it stated that he has to challenge for the title. That says it all.

I don't understand why people keep saying any other manager like Klopp, Poch or Guardiola would have us battling for top 4 minimum. All of their squads are better than ours.

United's squad is better than ours too.

I said this on the West Ham Match Thread because someone else made the same point that you have. But we have the 6th best squad in the league. And it's not like we're 6th best with just one or two players short of being within the top 4 best squads in the league, we are miles behind the other sides in terms of balance, depth and quality.

If Emery got us 4th with the 6th best squad in the league, that would be a minor miracle.

I agree that his tactics and team selections have been very poor in recent weeks, and I can't fathom why he's alienated Ozil when even having him as an option would be more useful than not having him in the squad at all. But you can't deny this situation is largely a mess of Wenger's, Gazidis's and Kroenke's own making.

The truth is the competition for the top 4 spots is more difficult than it's ever been. The previous set up spent irresponsibly, bought the wrong profile of players, let our prized assets leave for free transfers and continued to give mediocre players big contracts which made us hard to sell them.

In stark contrast, the other teams bought responsibly, spent big if needed, sold good players but developed younger players and targeted/reinvested in areas of their team they know needed strengthening. Other teams appeared to have a strategy, whereas we've seemed to have a bit of a scattergun/reactive approach to things up until the club's restructure.

Based on our league position, Emery has us roughly where a lot of us expected us to be when he took over.

I don't think we're good enough to break into the top 4 personally, but objectively, we are still in with a shout and we are still in the Europa League.

What more were you expecting from him this season relative to our season objectives?

He was always going to have a bit of a 'free hit' this season.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Angelito wrote:

Is Wenger telling him not to play Ozil?

Is Wenger instructing him to sideline Lacazette?

Is Wenger forcing him to play with 3 DMs and 3 CBs in most games?

Is Wenger stopping him from fielding attacking, creative players?

Is Wenger the reason behind Emery's ridiculous tactics?

Is Wenger responsible for our record low xG after 22 games this decade? Is Wenger responsible for an even worse defensive record than last season?

Although, I do agree that it's Gazidis' fault. He's the one whore hired Emery and it's turning out to be a major blunder.

Godlop said the biggest problem . Not a mulitude of minor problems that pale to the significance of the former.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football