Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Some people are really going out of the way to avoid holding Wenger and gazidis to account. Anything to blame Emery lol
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Ramsey's value to Juve will show if he starts games and keeps his place in the team.

It makes no sense talking about his wages in terms of the transfer value. Hazard and Ronaldo were already on massive wages, Ramsey wasn't on that much at Arsenal so of course £300k will be more attractive to him.

Apart from Swipe-right nobody gives two fecks about Ramsey's value to Juve ... the point being made in the Unai Emery thread is that Ramsey leaving for nothing is >40m that The Don doesn't have in his transfer budget ... and because Ramsey was still on 2016 wages even though him leaving clears 100k off the weekly wages bill, in reality that won't cover a like-for-like replacement ...

That might be true but just pointing out the flawed argument.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gooney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Not only is the manager poor. Read this to understand the financial problems we have

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/afc-f ... alanalysis

The future look bleak
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 pm

gooney wrote:Not only is the manager poor. Read this to understand the financial problems we have

The future look bleak

Easier to blame Emery tbh. People will stick to that.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm

So who do you suggest we blame for the team being shite defensively ? I blamed Wenger previously, now I am blaming Emery. Was it alright to blame Wenger but now not alright to blame Emery ?

Getting a team to defend better is something any manager should be capable of. If fat Sam can do it at EVERY club he goes to - with worse players than we have, why can't Emery ?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 pm

So here’s my question. Had you known the new manager would finish fifth and embarrassingly blow out of the EL, would you still have pushed to terminate Wengers contract, or would you have let it expire this summer and not renewed?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Zedie wrote:
gooney wrote:Not only is the manager poor. Read this to understand the financial problems we have

The future look bleak

It's not about the blame game. You need to start thinking about how we can realistically get out of this situation.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:

The future look bleak

It's not about the blame game. You need to start thinking about how we can realistically get out of this situation.

I know what needs to be done but it looks like theres still a lot of people that seem to have admitted defeat against kronke, been left with the frustration and instead take the easier way out of just blaming manager x y and z.

Some posters here will be on the 3rd post Wenger manager swearing that all we need is a young big thinker to make the 40m budget and a squad of journeymen / youth team prospects defeat the worlds best teams.

A year ago, we emptied the stadium, made ourselves heard across the terraces and stopped buying their merch.

The names on the banners need to be changed and kronke needs f**k off.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm

swipe right wrote:So here’s my question. Had you known the new manager would finish fifth and embarrassingly blow out of the EL, would you still have pushed to terminate Wengers contract, or would you have let it expire this summer and not renewed?

Yes because the previous manager has 22 years to make us dominate and ultimately failed and ended up producing worse than the current manager.

Wenger would have probably done better with more money, but that was impossible because he either lost his influence with kronke to get us to spend or aided and abetted the current manager to scrimp and save. He didnt want to relinquish power to a technical director etc. But couldn't keep up with what was needed.

He needed to go.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:

The future look bleak

I know what needs to be done but it looks like theres still a lot of people that seem to have admitted defeat against kronke, been left with the frustration and instead take the easier way out of just blaming manager x y and z.

Some posters here will be on the 3rd post Wenger manager swearing that all we need is a young big thinker to make the 40m budget and a squad of journeymen / youth team prospects defeat the worlds best teams.

A year ago, we emptied the stadium, made ourselves heard across the terraces and stopped buying their merch.

The protests resulted in the manager getting sacked. How realistic is it to expect a change of ownership? I hate to be pessimistic but I just don't see it happening regardless of protests. A boycott of games and merch at this point will further bleed the club dry of resources needed to strengthen the team. Also, I don't think Kroenke has held back resources. Just look at the foolish spending on wages over the years. He's a business man and doesn't know this sport well so we're going to be dependent on Raul, Emery and Edu if appointed to steer the club back in the right direction. With the FFP rules in place, the days of a sugar daddy owner look to be over. We missed the boat.

Keeping Wenger on for too long and allowing so much freedom to build team after team is what got us in this mess. Allowing the same under Emery will just deepen our troubles and we'll fall further down the tier. He has to prove himself. For a long time Wenger went unquestioned and everything was directed at Kroenke and the Board until it became obvious that Wenger was passed it but it was too late.

It's going to take smart management to get us out of this problem in all fronts. If we can't afford the very best we need to be able to spot some bargains, potential and try to.punch above our weight. A Monaco, Dortmund, Atletico style type of performance in the league ti turn it around.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 pm

If he didnt know the sport and hasn't been able to learn about it after 6-7 years since hes shown interest in buying us, then he has no f***ing business in this sport.

There was a time that you thought Wenger would never leave but enough fans, then media etc turned on him to make it happen.

To dislodge an owner the fanbase has to unite and make the environment so unattractive to potential commercial investors / decreased revenue streams etc. That the proposition of dumping the asset becomes more attractive than struggling on and owning a failing investment.

He could pull out his money and go buy another club to slowly strangle the competitive nature out of.

As long as there are people willing to protect him and excuse the complete lack of interest in his club, we will continue to try and improve at a snails pace while Everton west ham Newcastle etc let alone those ahead of us stride on.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:

The future look bleak

The protests resulted in the manager getting sacked. How realistic is it to expect a change of ownership? I hate to be pessimistic but I just don't see it happening regardless of protests. A boycott of games and merch at this point will further bleed the club dry of resources needed to strengthen the team. Also, I don't think Kroenke has held back resources. Just look at the foolish spending on wages over the years. He's a business man and doesn't know this sport well so we're going to be dependent on Raul, Emery and Edu if appointed to steer the club back in the right direction. With the FFP rules in place, the days of a sugar daddy owner look to be over. We missed the boat.

Keeping Wenger on for too long and allowing so much freedom to build team after team is what got us in this mess. Allowing the same under Emery will just deepen our troubles and we'll fall further down the tier. He has to prove himself. For a long time Wenger went unquestioned and everything was directed at Kroenke and the Board until it became obvious that Wenger was passed it but it was too late.

It's going to take smart management to get us out of this problem in all fronts. If we can't afford the very best we need to be able to spot some bargains, potential and try to.punch above our weight. A Monaco, Dortmund, Atletico style type of performance in the league ti turn it around.

Wenger went so long without being questioned because he was delivering exactly what the board and owner wanted. Settling for mediocrity is what’s got us where we are today and if this mindset still hasn’t changed after all these years then, as was said many years ago, we have a far more serious problem than Wenger.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Have we got rid of any more of those useless failures yet?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:34 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:

The future look bleak

Wenger went so long without being questioned because he was delivering exactly what the board and owner wanted. Settling for mediocrity is what’s got us where we are today and if this mindset still hasn’t changed after all these years then, as was said many years ago, we have a far more serious problem than Wenger.

We have a hands off owner and that's unlikely to change. In order to change that, we'd have to practically set the club on fire to get the owner out. That leaves a lot of damage to recover from.

But looking at the manager and the Wenger situation, I can't understand how he was so comfortable not winning trophies. It reminds me of the Ozil situation. Comfortable picking up a salary with no ambition to win stuff and he regarded as the best. The parameters for success are different for a player and manager compared to the owner. I can see how Stan would look at this as a successful business model and have more a long term vision. But for a manager, that ambition to win should be what drives them. It shouldn't take the owner having a word with the manager to sign better players or spend more. I always thought it should be the manager demanding more support from the board and if the owner is more of hindrance to your ambitions and not supportive, you decide to leave. Players do this all the time when they feel the club can't support their ambition
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:

The future look bleak

We have a hands off owner and that's unlikely to change. In order to change that, we'd have to practically set the club on fire to get the owner out. That leaves a lot of damage to recover from.

But looking at the manager and the Wenger situation, I can't understand how he was so comfortable not winning trophies. It reminds me of the Ozil situation. Comfortable picking up a salary with no ambition to win stuff and he regarded as the best. The parameters for success are different for a player and manager compared to the owner. I can see how Stan would look at this as a successful business model and have more a long term vision. But for a manager, that ambition to win should be what drives them. It shouldn't take the owner having a word with the manager to sign better players or spend more. I always thought it should be the manager demanding more support from the board and if the owner is more of hindrance to your ambitions and not supportive, you decide to leave. Players do this all the time when they feel the club can't support their ambition

Wenger’s situation looked to be a rare one. He was on a good salary, living in a nice city, managing a team I truly believe he wanted all the best for. You could say he was ok and not ok with just top 4 finishes. On one hand it meant he could keep his dream job but on the other hand it meant the club he adores was not achieving top honors consistently and under his watch. This is where the board and owner should be stepping in to intervene. Doing so, for example, would have meant players like Suarez, Mbappe, and Kante wearing the red and white of Arsenal. These are players amongst some others that Wenger has publicly said he wanted for Arsenal but could not attain for financial reasons. If not this then the board and owner should have been setting clearer, stricter, and more ambitious ultimatums. Instead they did neither and watched as Wenger and ultimately the club struggle year after year until where we now find ourselves.

As you pointed out it’s going to take a monumental effort to get us back where we need to be.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football