Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm

All in all.

The issue is ......... I just can't believe such a big deal is being made of us losing 2-0 to City, that is the issue.

We've lost to lesser teams last year and it wasn't the apocalypse.

What's happening now from some "supporters" and ex players is just ridiculous.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Probably a good job we lost. Imagine the hype if emery had beaten pep in his first game! Nothing but the title would've been acceptable.

I just worry that 'its ok, they have more resources than us and won the league last season' smacks of the excuse culture that Wenger led.

Thankfully its the fans saying it and not Emery or the players!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Angelito wrote:On the City game:

I think it was reminiscent of our big Premier League games from 07-11. Say what you want, and there have been hammerings away from home, but at home we have usually been solid—even dominant—from 12-16. That hasn't always translated into a better performance. Yet, we wouldn't get shoved aside as easily as we used to against Chelsea and ManU from 07-11.

Against City, we looked clueless and scared. It was so annoying watching the gutless performance. I have never see a City win as easy as that one in the Emirates era. Even when we conceded 6 at the Etihad, we scored 3. City looked like they were in 2nd gear all game and didn't have to turn it on to beat us.

Of course, the Emery criticism isn't warranted. Pep went trophyless with Qatar City in his first season and he has unlimited resources and is widely considered the best manager in the game today. Emery needs time and this season, there isn't much pressure on him. Well, there shouldn't be.

I expected the City loss and I expect us to lose at Stamford Bridge too. I just hope we don't concede 3-4 goals. The real test for Emery begins after Chelsea. The positive is that we could still win the League. ;) Jumping on Emery's back, for losing to City, is uncalled for and frankly, immature.

That said—and I have reiterated this many times—if Emery continues to shove Ozil wide to get the best out of Ramsey and/or Xhaka, I won't be tolerating that shit. It was unacceptable when Wenger was here and it will be unacceptable no matter who the manager is. We have great technicians in Ozil, Mkhi, Torriera, and a bright young player in Guendouzi. We also have a solid back up in Elneny who is a better passer than Ramsey and is defensively more capable than Xhaka. As it is, I just can't see Xhaka getting into the starting eleven and Ramsey hamstrings our balance to even consider him against a big side.

Imagine a midfield of Xhaka - Torreira - Ramsey. One cannot move; the other needs 10 touches before getting it right... Torreira will be left to do all on his own. You can't have an inept player in Xhaka and a technically subpar player, who thinks he's Messi, play as CMs. That's like playing with 9.5 men right from the beginning. Xhaka or no Xhaka, we will bulldoze inferior sides but that's expected, we're still the 6th best side in the country.

The 3-0 defeat at man city in 2008
The home 2-0 defeat in 2013
Last seasons 3-0 home defeat
All worse performances than Sunday's 2-0 defeat
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Rockape » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:02 pm

...we're still the 6th best side in the country.

Just! :)
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:57 pm

What should be kept in mind is the scope of my criticism. I'm not condemning Emery after one game and calling for his head. My criticism is solely focused on the performance in the first game of the season and why it doesn't fill me with confidence. That's it.

Also, it must be stressed that top four, in my opinion, is absolutely crucial for us this season. We have to get into the Champions League; otherwise I don't think Emery will ever get the chance to compete for the title with us. If we want top four, we can't be playing like we did against City.

All in all, I'm worried that there has been very little progress so far in relation to the progress we have to make this season.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby KING-HENRY » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm

He'll win us the Europa League, possibly the champions league but we wont be winning the Premier League with him which is why we should have chucked stupid money at Wenger to stay.
KING-HENRY
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby gooney » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Emery is a noce guy who will get along with the board....hence why he got the job. I said before the season any manager in the world would get top 6 at best as there are 5 teams clearly better than ours. He is not someone who will push out most of the players and will work with the trash. The club has been mishandled for 10 years
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 pm

KING-HENRY wrote:He'll win us the Europa League, possibly the champions league but we wont be winning the Premier League with him which is why we should have chucked stupid money at Wenger to stay.

They didn't want Wenger to stay though, they pushed him out. He pretty much just got laid off from his job, which is a nice way of saying you're fired.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 pm

KING-HENRY wrote:He'll win us the Europa League, possibly the champions league but we wont be winning the Premier League with him which is why we should have chucked stupid money at Wenger to stay.

Lolwot?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:12 pm

PairyGrows wrote:What should be kept in mind is the scope of my criticism. I'm not condemning Emery after one game and calling for his head. My criticism is solely focused on the performance in the first game of the season and why it doesn't fill me with confidence. That's it.

Also, it must be stressed that top four, in my opinion, is absolutely crucial for us this season. We have to get into the Champions League; otherwise I don't think Emery will ever get the chance to compete for the title with us. If we want top four, we can't be playing like we did against City.

All in all, I'm worried that there has been very little progress so far in relation to the progress we have to make this season.

Who isn't worried about us making progress though? We all are wondering if we'll be better and correct our issues from the Wenger era. The worry shouldn't be any greater or worse after one game though if you put it all into perspective and use a bit of sense and logic.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby KING-HENRY » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 pm

StLGooner wrote:

They didn't want Wenger to stay though, they pushed him out. He pretty much just got laid off from his job, which is a nice way of saying you're fired.

which i think is a disgrace tbh, ill back Emery because its not his fault hes been given the job and he isnt capable of winning the premier league so i wont jump on his back, I will expect atleast a Europa league or Champions League final as a minimum anything else is a bonus.
KING-HENRY
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Luzh 22 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I have to wonder, I really do.

Ok, let's take the first part of your sentence: "He'll win us the Europa League, possibly the champions league but we wont be winning the Premier League with him".

So, from this I gather you think Emery is good enough to win a Euro trophy, but not good enough to win the prem. Fine, maybe you're considering a lucky run in the CL or something, but whatever.

Then it gets really funky: "which is why we should have chucked stupid money at Wenger to stay."

So now you're saying that we should have thrown money at Wenger to stay? Because we will win the prem with Wenger? Is that what you're saying?
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Losmeister » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:How long does it take for a new manager to impose his own ideas on a team? It took Pep a whole season and nearly £500m in investment.

But because it's Arsenal, the new manager is supposed to come in, and have the team playing his way without a single competitive match under his belt, against the best team in England (arguably the best team ever in England), and £50m.

Seems legit.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 pm

LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 pm

KING-HENRY wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

which i think is a disgrace tbh, ill back Emery because its not his fault hes been given the job and he isnt capable of winning the premier league so i wont jump on his back, I will expect atleast a Europa league or Champions League final as a minimum anything else is a bonus.

You expect at least that from a new manager in a new league. So it would be interesting to hear what you expected from Wenger then? And why when he didn't deliver that is was ok with you?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football