Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm

My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

Can show me a million stats how he’s doing better than klopp, pep or whoever at this respective stage, but they all had an exciting style being implemented...we don’t. That’s what has always f***ked me off the most. Even a spurs fan in the pub just now said this is the most boring Arsenal he’s ever seen and I couldn’t disagree.

Give me the fabregas possession ball and getting occasionally counter raped over this all day long.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

All about wonga and always will be

Yawn

Yeah let's just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen

But that doesn't excuse today.

Freezing Ozil out, playing 3-4-3 when the last two games showed 4-3-3 was better is what's cost us today.

We lost the game in that first half all due to the above issues.

Change of personnel and formation is what got us back in the game but we needed to to have that for 90mins not at 65mins into the game.

What your saying is true if we're discussing finishing in top 4 or beating Liverpool, but this is West Ham and its the above decisions which caused the loss, our team is good enough to beat West Ham ffs ............ but not when you leave out two star mids on the bench and play a negative formation.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Santi wrote:My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

Can show me a million stats how he’s doing better than klopp, pep or whoever at this respective stage, but they all had an exciting style being implemented...we don’t. That’s what has always f***ked me off the most. Even a spurs fan in the pub just now said this is the most boring Arsenal he’s ever seen and I couldn’t disagree.

Give me the fabregas possession ball and getting occasionally counter raped over this all day long.

100000% the truth

pragmatism without the results is possibly the worst combination in football

ask united fans
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:46 pm

People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Nejch wrote:
Santi wrote:Yep still all ‘wonga’s’ Fault that we’re losing. Not like emery was praised for making iwobi look better at the start and now he looks shit again and not like emery is the one picking the lineups and formation.

All about wonga and always will be

Yawn

Yeah let's just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen

Sorry what relevance does that have? Everyone slagged wenger but he did just as good with this squad so far.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:46 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Emery doesn't like flair players or fast wingers, horrific stuff that is nothing to do with Wenger

What available 'flair players' and 'fast wingers' does he have? he's only been here five minutes 90% of the squad he inherited ... how the f**k is that nothing to do with the previous management?

Emery may be doing a piss poor job, but exactly what is he supposed to do with the piss poor squad he's inherited ....

How many people on here screamed that Lacca and Auba must start, well they did and how did that work out? Best of the our front three players was Iwobi by a mile.

We don't have enough quality in defence, we don't have enough quality in midfield, we do have it up front but if the defence and midfield can't supply the ball what's the point?

Leaving Ramsey on the bench and Ozil out completely is one thing but that performance was flat. We started slow and finished slow. Something has to be said about how the team came out and the sort of mentality they had. It was a really flat performance.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:49 pm

So many problems
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm

I don't think Emery is up to the job, f**k me pellegrini would have been better you can see how well coached they were today, solid banks on the back foot, good pressing and hunting in packs on the front foot, pace out wide, flair with nasri and Anderson a powerful team mixed with skill and speed.
Last edited by Marsbar100 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby gooney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.

So the manager has nothing to do with it? We are creating and shooting less than ever. We just have to admit he is a negative manager who dont like flair players. If you are providing attractive football you get leeway. Play negative boring football and get no result means fans will turn on you. But he can serve this the next 12 months and some fans will be behind him. I mean wenger had this for years
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Look, I’m a little bit wound up right now obviously because we’ve just lost, so probably gonna be extra harsh on him but, in the grand scheme of things, this result doesn’t even annoy me that much. West Ham are a good team, an underrated team and one we should not EXPECT to beat. I predicted 1-2 score line at work as I knew this would be tough but thought we could come from behind and just take the win but it was never guaranteed.

Now, what a match and result like this does do, is reignite all the things I’ve been feeling and thinking about Emery since he joined and brings them to the forefront of my mind and emotions. So it may seem like convenient timing to bring them all up but I’ve brought them up before and been shot down because we were getting results and because he is new. Now I admit he needs time and backing to really implement what he wants to do and to turn this team around but I’d be much more patient if we had a nice style of football and something exciting to watch in the mean time. Losing 5-4 would be fine while we get used to the new manager...I mean lord knows we’re conceding enough goals but our attacking play is being stifled. The other issue is that he’s clearly not going to get that backing he needs from the board and on top of that he apparently (I’m not an insider sorry) got the job on the back of promises about improving the current squad and having detailed analysis on all of them. So far he hasn’t improved a single player in my book, the one he’s closest to doing so, he keeps benching or subbing randomly. However, I put some of lacazette’s improvement down to settling in the league as well.

All in all he’s got a tough job, inherited and average squad and n awkward atmosphere. I love his passion and how he is always up on the sideline showing the team almost all his energy but he is also making a lot of mistakes and seemingly not learning from them. Injuries haven’t helped either but his coping mechanism of 3 at the back has over compensated and backfired on him yet he still does it.

I want nothing more than him to do well and take us to the top, I was more than happy if Wenger could’ve still done this as well. He couldn’t and I’m not sure yet if Unai can either, he’ll get some time but he really is frustrating me and the football just isn’t super exciting for the majority.

Can’t be arsed to argue, some people will be more patient and are less bothered about the style, that’s fine, but I have my own opinions and don’t expect everyone to agree with them.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm

gooney wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:People expecting top notch attractive football with 2/3rd's of the players not up to it is just laughable.

So the manager has nothing to do with it? We are creating and shooting less than ever. We just have to admit he is a negative manager who dont like flair players. If you are providing attractive football you get leeway. Play negative boring football and get no result means fans will turn on you. But he can serve this the next 12 months and some fans will be behind him. I mean wenger had this for years

Whether we're positive or negative in our approach doesn't make a difference, when the players aren't good enough to get results on a consistent basis. The vast majority of the players simply aren't good enough. If we played all out attack, we'd get f***ked because our defence is shocking. What do you do?

The manager maybe to blame in part. But, given the absolute dross in this squad, I'm willing to give him time to try to get the players in to put his vision in place.

If he's not good enough, he will have to go too.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Rafa Benitez would have this side competing for top-4 minimum and he's at Newcastle.

We have a manager whose ceiling is Everton. And he's definitely not the best they could get.

Poor man's Jose Mourinho with an ego larger than the real Mourinho.

Mike Dean wrote:
Angelito wrote:

This club will never sign Conte.

He demands big signings.

Also, no big manager will come to Arsenal knowing full well that it is not going to spend.

Unai will be replaced with another yes man once his time is up.

The only direction this club is headed is downwards.

It sounds depressing but its the stark reality.

While, I agree with you, I do believe Conte is the best coach for our club. It's between him, Simeone, and Jardim.

Conte doesn't demand big signings. He built this Juve side from the scratch and is their modern day architect.

He won the title with 93 points and 30 wins with just one big name signing (Kante) in the summer he took over.

He took this hopeless Italy side to the QFs of the Euros.

Conte is flexible too. He agreed to field a 4-3-3 because Chelsea players were comfortable playing four at the back. It was only after the drubbing we gave them that Conte moved to his preferred three at the back.

I think he's the perfect manager for us. Tactical, passionate, authoritarian almost, and doesn't need a big budget.

But the one thing that separates Conte and Arsenal is ambition. Conte is a winner. Our aim is to lose. He's ambitious. We are not, which is why we will never go for a manager like him.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:02 pm

The whole squad is rotten. Apart from the strikers and Torreira. I don’t think any other manager would do any better with this clusterfvck of a squad.

They have proven on the last 2 seasons that 5th and 6th is their level. But then we have Silent stan being tight with the cash even if we were promised real competitiveness if we moved into a nee Stadium.

But with the tight fisted Stan i think this is where we are. Stagnant, no ambition, loan moves, cheap buys and buying players to pay in instalments (Torreira).

Sad, thought our pampered, overpaid, overrated and hyped players would prove us wrong. Same old average and one dimensional squad.

I am fastening my seatbelt for the rough ride, i can sense it with the way our board is talking about loan signings.

Smh
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:I don't think Emery is up to the job, f**k me pellegrini would have been better you can see how well coached they were today, solid banks on the back foot, good pressing and hunting in packs on the front foot, pace out wide, flair with nasri and Anderson a powerful team mixed with skill and speed.

Pellegrini - W4, D4, L6

That's now 7 losses against Pellegrini.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby rewb1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Santi wrote:My gripe from the start wasn’t even the results, it still isn’t, you expect some shockers with a new manager and a new style. The problem is his style isn’t even decided in his own mind and so far what his style is looks dogshit. People got excited at us playing out from the back with a sweeper keeper at the start but this reliance on fullbacks for creating all our chances is a f***ing terrible idea.

to me our style is obvious, we are trying to be a high pressing ball playing team but he doesnt have the players for it. you think we can play that way with players like xhaka in midfield lol? wait untill emery gets his players ffs.
rewb1
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football