Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby LMAO » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:08 pm

UFGN wrote:Why do you arrogantly presume that people who support Emery are "ignorant" of his past?

Do you not think that, with the internet and all, people might have read up on his career when he joined the club?

Do you not realise everyone has access to the same information?

What you are failing to deal with here is a simple difference in approach.

Nobody gives a fk about Emery. Nobody.

I and others are simply saying that if you make mistakes, as he has, youd better still get results otherwise youre toast.

If he meets his targets (my targets that is,) he can make his mother captain and play 11 goalkeepers in a 442 diamond for all I care

Reading about something after the fact and experiencing it in real time aren't the same.

Regarding results, that was my point. Unless Emery has far and away the best squad, he won't win major trophies, and even then, it'll only be half the time.

We're looking at the same picture but seeing two different things. You say you're fine with the results right now. I'm saying the results we're getting is the best we're going to do under Emery unless we someone get the undisputed best squad.

If you're fine with perpetually finishing top 4 but never mounting a serious title challenge, then so be it. But I know you want more because you've said so much in the past, which is why a lot of us who have seen Emery in real time are saying Emery isn't and won't be that guy.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Zenith » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm

According to David Ornstein The Times, UE did not sign a 2-year contract, but a 3-year contract with a break clause which can be triggered after the second year [at the end of this season].
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm

LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:Why do you arrogantly presume that people who support Emery are "ignorant" of his past?

Do you not think that, with the internet and all, people might have read up on his career when he joined the club?

I and others are simply saying that if you make mistakes, as he has, youd better still get results otherwise youre toast.

If he meets his targets (my targets that is,) he can make his mother captain and play 11 goalkeepers in a 442 diamond for all I care

Reading about something after the fact and experiencing it in real time aren't the same.

Regarding results, that was my point. Unless Emery has far and away the best squad, he won't win major trophies, and even then, it'll only be half the time.

We're looking at the same picture but seeing two different things. You say you're fine with the results right now. I'm saying the results we're getting is the best we're going to do under Emery unless we someone get the undisputed best squad.

If you're fine with perpetually finishing top 4 but never mounting a serious title challenge, then so be it. But I know you want more because you've said so much in the past, which is why a lot of us who have seen Emery in real time are saying Emery isn't and won't be that guy.

Well, firstly, you know I'm not fine with top four

Im fine with it as part of a progression.

You say we cant progress with Emery.... apparently you have more faith in your ability to read the future than mine to research the past, and my decision to simply sit back and let the guy either bring home the Bacon, or not.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 am

UFGN wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Well, firstly, you know I'm not fine with top four

Im fine with it as part of a progression.

You say we cant progress with Emery.... apparently you have more faith in your ability to read the future than mine to research the past, and my decision to simply sit back and let the guy either bring home the Bacon, or not.

tbh it's Wenger all over again. And no, I'm not comparing your views on Emery with Wenger's Stans who could see no fault in him, only the situation of waiting to see if the man in charge can deliver.

Most of us saw Wenger could no longer supply the goods years before he left, but there were still others who trotted out the same old, tired "gIvE hIm UnTiL tHe SuMmEr".

Like Wenger, people are asking to give Emery until the end of the season, but it won't matter. I mean, yeah, Emery is still new here, and he doesn't have a long track record at Arsenal, but he has managed other clubs. And for anyone who's been aware of him since his Valencia days, we know who he is, so we don't need to read the future to see how it'll turn out.

But it's whatever because this convo will keep going in circles, so we'll see come the end of the season.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Nuggets » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:49 am

If he comes up with the goods he will stay if he don't he will go, so let's see what happens, plenty of the season left yet, lots to play for.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 am

Zenith wrote:According to David Ornstein The Times, UE did not sign a 2-year contract, but a 3-year contract with a break clause which can be triggered after the second year [at the end of this season].

I read it was a 3 year contract straight. No break clause at all.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:55 am

Conflicting reports. That was what was initially reported back in 2018. Ornstein recently said in The Athletic that's not the case.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... sh-Kroenke

But The Athletic have today claimed Emery’s contract is a straightforward three-year agreement.

Although the information is not said to be concrete, it has been confirmed by a number of sources.

https://tribuna.com/en/arsenal/news/3485973/
According to David Ornstein, tier 1 source for Arsenal, the Gunners have signed a three-year contract with Unai Emery and there isn't any break clause included in it.

Earlier, The Times reported Unai penned a two-year deal with Arsenal that contained a break clause, meaning Arsenal could disrupt the deal without paying Emery off:

"Unai Emery’s contract at Arsenal contains a break clause that can be triggered after two seasons, enabling the club to dismiss him one year early.

"The Times has learnt that the club can invoke the clause without paying up the full value of his contract."

Well, it looks like Ornstein has completely different information and if he's right, the Gunners will have to pay Emery up if they decide to terminate his deal. Much, of course, will depend on where we are finishing this season.

Arsenal failed to get into the Champions League as the team collapsed at the end of the last season. We finished fifth in the Premier League and lost the Europa League final to Chelsea.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 am

↑ Thanks for clarifying, PnG.

Also with regards to UE's future, here's a snippet of the transcript of Ornstein's Q&A for The Athletic -

Q: If Arsenal don't secure Champions League for next season, is that the end of Emery or do the grown-ups have more faith than that?

DO: Regaining Champions League football is obviously a huge priority. Some I speak to do not believe that alone will determine Emery's future, though. I guess if they miss out, it will come down to the nature of it, the trajectory the team is on etc. There is no getting away from the fact, though, that the outcome of this season is enormous for Emery's future.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:34 am

He also mentioned Freddie being the likely candidate to takeover if anything were to happen with Unai mid season. But, he also thinks his job is safe.

It sounds like we'll allow him to see out the three year contract. The outcome of this season will play a huge part in what happens but I doubt he'll get fired unless he fails to make the CL again.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:51 pm

I would be perfectly happy with Emery if I saw he was at least doing something to address our defending, but he isn't and for that he deserves some licks!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 am

What gives, we have a defence-minded coach that cannot get the team to defend better than the useless attack-minded coach that preceded him!

Go figure.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:52 am

theHotHead wrote:What gives, we have a defence-minded coach that cannot get the team to defend better than the useless attack-minded coach that preceded him!

Go figure.

Pretty good analogy, wait for his last couple of key defenders to come back and then there are few excuses left
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby immsun » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 am

The reason nobody gives a fk about Emery is because the football is shit and there is no plan or philosophy to fix it.

Plus the treatment of players is baffling. Tactics are baffling.

He has no future at arsenal simply. If this was Everton he would have been hailed but ummm nope doesnt deserve arsenal.
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby immsun » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:31 am

So Ozil is staying until 2021

Can Emery go before him please :p
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 am

The one consolation for Arsenal fans is that while the team has been under heavy fire this season, they have managed to prevent the opposition from getting good shots away, with only Burnley allowing lower-quality chances than Emery's side on average.

As i said, the clubs having more shots than us stat was bs.

Hi gooney
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football