Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal manager

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 am

Yep. Our ex-players are embarrassing and those who aren't - don't speak much.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:56 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Now Keown's getting in on the act, saying Emery shouldn't of started Guendouzi ......... even though he was one of our best players and proved he could play against the best teams in England.

I'm really disgusted with the attitudes of our ex players, you don't torch a new manager on game 1 ffs!!!

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/16/martin-k ... y-7849096/

I didn't think he should have started him either to be honest. It ended up working out, but it was a risk I thought. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:56 am

Let's be honest, we all knew this would happen. The Wenger in brigade (of which Keown was one of their captains) is still in business.

No, you don't torch a new manager after 1 game, unless you have a massive agenda or are very stupid.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Mike Dean » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Keown is a clown. Not sure why anyone would take what he says seriously.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Set Ozils agent on keown.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:34 pm

StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Now Keown's getting in on the act, saying Emery shouldn't of started Guendouzi ......... even though he was one of our best players and proved he could play against the best teams in England.

I'm really disgusted with the attitudes of our ex players, you don't torch a new manager on game 1 ffs!!!

I didn't think he should have started him either to be honest. It ended up working out, but it was a risk I thought. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Yeah. The full quote isn't that bad actually. He basically says that wasn't the type of game you expose a young guy. One may disagree with that but i don't think that statement was out of order. Guendouzi had a good game and showed a lot heart and grit so i am happy but had it not gone the right way it can kill a young player's confidence.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Given the choice of what I saw from Guendouzi in pre-season games and what I know we get from Xhaka and Elneny I woukd have started with Guendouzi all day amd I dare say Emery was thinking the same thing!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Yeah. The full quote isn't that bad actually. He basically says that wasn't the type of game you expose a young guy. One may disagree with that but i don't think that statement was out of order. Guendouzi had a good game and showed a lot heart and grit so i am happy but had it not gone the right way it can kill a young player's confidence.

All cynicism aside, I don't think Emery wanted to start with him either, or at least not as the main defensive midfielder..he wanted N'zonzi.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

But lets not lose sight of the fact of .............. well who else?

We had Torreia who "apparently" was off the pace for minimal game time, Elneny who the club want to sell for some strange reason and that's it.

Its all fair and well saying don't play the 2nd best CDM we have but then what else do we do? lets not forget Mbappe is 19, their either good enough or their not, a harsh debut? sure, but he handled himself fine.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:If he picks the same team or doesn't make many changes I wonder if he's been harsher on the players behind closed doors than in public and given his famous feedback (videos etc) on what players weren't doing and should be doing. I think we could see a very different performance from the same team. That is supposedly what Emery is good at doing, analysing performances and improving players/teams.

I am excited for how the team will look under Unai, but am surprised that he let Cech stay and let Ospina go. Cech is not who we need in goal when it comes to set pieces or attacks with onrushing players in the box because he seems (justifiably) worried about collisions/head injuries.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:05 am

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby island_gunner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 pm

island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby fredd1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:42 pm

I feel so sorry for him we have 4 players today that couldn't put it in the net from 10 yards.How shit we are Merci Arsene our manager now has a bloody tough job on his hands
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:51 pm

It's clear that Emery has a plan, it's also clear that our central defenders DO NOT have the ability to play that plan against the very top sides .... if you lack pace you lack pace, no amount of coaching will change that ....

So we've played two of the top sides knowing that our defence was likely to get done for pace, and that's exactly what happened .... but in Emery's defence what else could he do? ho has to work with what he has .....

So it was a big fail for our defence against two good sides, now let's see how they do against lesser teams ...

As for our attack, in our first two games we were clearly playing hoping to outscore the opposition ... and to be fair in both games we've had our share of chances ....

In a football world where the very top strikers cost 100m having two 50m strikers can work against you ... let's be honest if we had Salah, Aguero, even feckin' Kane as our main man we may well have six points now not zero .... again Emery can only work with what he has ....

Emery will need a couple of years to upgrade the squad .... he's got a plan, the players certainly look like they are playing for him ... two difficult games gone things will get better ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby KingChrome » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:15 pm

The issue was never Wenger and its not Emery, our tactics are fine, its the fact we have to raid europes bargain basement basket every summer because our owners won't pay out for better quality.

In fact at this point, Wenger looks tactically superior to Emery who looked lost for words in the post match interview.

You know its hard times when Everton are throwing around £150m and we spend £60m

Mustafi needs to go
Xhaka needs to go
Ramsey needs to go if hes demanding 300k a week
Cech needs to go
Leno aint good enough to start
Bellerin can't defend or cross so may as well flog him or convert him to a winger, hes about as useful as Walcott was, all pace no product.
Koscielny is past it
Sokratis looks basic
Kolasinac is almost as bad as Andre Santos
Iwobi despite a good game is shite
Welbeck is beyond shite and should be playing in the championship.
our back up defenders are inexperienced and error prone
Ozil never turns up and has no winning mentality and costs 3 decent players wages a week to keep and gives nothing.

The only players worth keeping right now are Aubameyang, Mkhy, Monreal maybe Lacazette and the other 3 new boys.

Its painful to watch.
KingChrome
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football