Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Ach wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:If we lose on Thursday, do opinions change? Just wondering what's the tipping point and barometer for some fans.

Is it two years no matter what happens,?

It'll be his first major set back. Opinion wouldn't change but wouldn't be happy. We'd still be in the fight for fourth

Looking beyond 4th place, do you believe he can win us the Premier League title? It sounds as if the bar has been lowered again and we've forgotten the main objective.

No one expects us to be fighting for the title under emery first few years. He has to right many of wengers wrongs during his 22 years reign of terror. It will take time. Klopp was nowhere near the title for years after he first joined and had to spend shit load to get to where they are now. And still haven't won a thing.

So it won't be easy for emery. I'm backing him though.

Speak for yourself on this topic.

Two years, three years, five years….I highly doubt he has it in him to win the Premier League unless we have another blip season where all of our rivals are in transition. But as far as going toe to toe with the heavy hitters, I don’t think he’s capable. I’m going off his past record as well what I see from this season. We’d need to see a major improvement.

Also, we’re not Liverpool. They had a bigger mountain to climb. After Rafa they spent more time outside of the Top 4 than in and finishing 6th, 7th and 8th. In the league.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Lol pedro f***ing sucks

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Dejan wrote:Lol pedro f***ing sucks

scores more than our legend
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Losmeister wrote:

scores more than our legend

Our legend is the best central attacking mid in the world. Even today.

Unsure if Pedro is the best winger around today.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:If we lose on Thursday, do opinions change? Just wondering what's the tipping point and barometer for some fans.

It'll be his first major set back. Opinion wouldn't change but wouldn't be happy. We'd still be in the fight for fourth

Looking beyond 4th place, do you believe he can win us the Premier League title? It sounds as if the bar has been lowered again and we've forgotten the main objective.

Exactly what I was thinking.

In 2012/2013, the Wenger Out movement consolidated because top-4 wasn't deemed good enough. It was expected that Arsenal would finish in the top-4. We also won trophies from there on until 2017. So, it didn't matter.

But now, all of a sudden top-4 has become the elusive goal and challenging for top-4 is seen as a bare minimum. We're not even talking about trophies. Now, I agree that we can't do better than top-4 at this stage for various reasons. We also can't deny that the bar has been falling and, in hindsight, it had nothing to do with Arsene Wenger.

6th appears to be the new 4th for us.

Seems like priorities have shifted for some posters and especially when I think back to the arguments against Wenger. Agree with most of your post except the part about the falling standards having nothing to do with Wenger, but I can see how you arrived at that point when considering the arguments offered up in defence of Unai Emery.

We've heard a lot. From injury problems, lack of funding to players not being good enough, needing to spend £300m in a window like our rivals....when has Wenger had that much to some in a transfer window? We've had serious injury problems with bigger players missing, not just Bellerin and Holding. I've seen posters conjure up all sorts of excuses so far. All an attempt to shift the focus away from Emery's coaching. It's as if nothing was learned over the last few years.

I concluded a long time ago that we needed better coaching because the conditions we currently work in are out of our control. Seeing what Simeone and Klopp did with A. Madrid and Dortmund was inspirational and showed how far a good coach can take a team despite the unfavourable conditions. Hence why I wanted a change in manager because it was clear Wenger couldn't do the same. Most agreed with that eventually. But somehow, we're back to wishing on a star as if the stars will align for Emery. It's not going to happen. Good coaching is the only thing that will get us back into the top 4 and hopefully back to a title. Because if we can find a coach that can work wonders with the little he is given, maybe he'll be trusted with more funds later down the line.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:41 pm

I think Wenger did his part earlier, as far as good coaching goes, brought in so many youngsters who later shined, like VanPersie, Fabregas, Nasri ( all well known saga), but I think later on he was resigned to the fact that Big money trumpted everything, and couldn't compete with likes of ManCity only by shrewd managerial acumen.
I was critical too, at that time because results were not forthcoming, but in hindsight, he probably did a pretty good job under all the constraints.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:49 pm

ag6789 wrote:I think Wenger did his part earlier, as far as good coaching goes, brought in so many youngsters who later shined, like VanPersie, Fabregas, Nasri ( all well known saga), but I think later on he was resigned to the fact that Big money trumpted everything, and couldn't compete with likes of ManCity only by shrewd managerial acumen.
I was critical too, at that time because results were not forthcoming, but in hindsight, he probably did a pretty good job under all the constraints.

In terms of high quality players, Wenger was left a much better legacy than he has left Emery.

Seaman, Adams, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn, Bould, Wright, Parlour, Merson, Platt...

And he was immediately given the money to buy Vieira, Petit, Overmars and Anelka.

Emery is in a much, much tougher position.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Okaaaaaaay.

Clearly you have not seen his goal scoring record. I will give you a clue, its much higher than Any Arsenal mid or winger has been for a long time:

In his 3 full seasons for Chelsea he has averaged 16 goals/assists per season in all comps

In his 6 full seasons at Barca he averaged 26.3 goals/assists per season in all comps.

But Pedro f***ing sucks and Pedro wouldn't improve Arsenal.

The shit you people write.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Phil71 wrote:
ag6789 wrote:I think Wenger did his part earlier, as far as good coaching goes, brought in so many youngsters who later shined, like VanPersie, Fabregas, Nasri ( all well known saga), but I think later on he was resigned to the fact that Big money trumpted everything, and couldn't compete with likes of ManCity only by shrewd managerial acumen.

In terms of high quality players, Wenger was left a much better legacy than he has left Emery.

Seaman, Adams, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn, Bould, Wright, Parlour, Merson, Platt...

And he was immediately given the money to buy Vieira, Petit, Overmars and Anelka.

Emery is in a much, much tougher position.

Hard to compare. Different time. But it's worth remembering Wenger inherited an aging defence, extended their careers but also changed their playing style with our fullbacks attacking more and CB's playing the ball out on the floor instead of hoofing it into touch when under pressure. That's what a good coach does. He made them better athletes and they took to his style.

Also, Wenger was a better coach than most of his rivals when arrived. Revolutionary to English football. He came with new ideas, a new way of playing. He was ahead of the competition with his philosophy and that gave him the edge. Unai is not that. The league is more competitive but he's not a coach that's a game changer. He's not leading the way with his footballing philosophy. He's behind Pep and Klopp in that sense. He's no Simeone. He's not a Mourinho. His style won't be emulated or copied by other coaches.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby BS221B » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:33 pm

He is Mourinho, but the budget one.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Ach wrote:
LMAO wrote:

See my sig. I started to turn when Emery failed to bring on Ozil at City. The final straw was playing defensively at Huddersfield. I tried and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt: Not his players. New league. Better results. Yada yada yada.

It's one thing to not be a well-oiled machine but still be able to see ideas being implemented (see: Guardiola first season at City and Klopp's first season at Liverpool). It's another thing to look like a headless chicken. We're playing generic football with little direction. What even is our style besides Kola overlapping with Iwobi who cuts inside? That's not gonna win a PL or a European trophy in today's game.

Emery is fool's gold. We were promised attacking football. We were promised fantastic pressing on defense. But after the first few games, he quit trying that. Those ideas have largely fallen by the wayside. Now our lineups consist of a majority of defensive-minded players against Huddersfield and a bunch of Belarusian farmers. Dafuq?! Not to mention, our most talented player has been frozen out for much of the season.

Emery was never high on my list of people to take over after Wenger, and I think it's time to begin a new search for Arsenal head coach.

Final straw was a game we won?

What would've happened had we lost?

If you play defensively against the worst team in the league, a team that hadn't scored in something ridiculous like 9 games, then it's fair to call the man in charge a bit shit and undeserving of his position. That mindset of defensive play in that situation would be fine at a club like Stoke.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Also, it's funny how a number of posters are calling for patience with Emery because of injuries, when a lot of those same posters tore into Wenger for our injury problems.

The cognitive dissonance is incredible.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Fenice » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 pm

BS221B wrote:He is Mourinho, but the budget one.

Not innacurate.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:08 pm

us and chelsea have bad managers. chelsea fans want their manager out and find what he has done unacceptable. Emery who has performed worse....our fans are not too down. It shows which club thinks big and which club thinks small
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Welcome to Gooneyworld where fifth with a horror Wenger squad is worse than sixth with a quality squad most of which won the title 2 years ago
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football