Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery THE DON

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Pudpop wrote:Still concede loads?

Second best defence in the Premier League in 2019

Conceded 1 goal in our last 7 all comps

Conceded 2 goals! And its all relative!

We conceded 6 goals in 6 games in January.
We conceded 6 goals in 6 games in February.
We conceded 4 goals in 4 games in March.
We conceded 1 goal in 5 games so far in April.

In all comps.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Zedie, losing Bellerin did nothing to make our defence worse, he was fooking shite defending, his only improvement under Emery was his crossing.

Granted in recent weeks we have not conceded many but thats more shit attacking than good defending, our defending has been dire all season. It has nothing to do with getting defenders back from injury either, which defenders have we gotten back? Kos was already playing when we were playing shite in the new year.

We only improved noticeably as a team when Ozil, Ramsey, Laca and Auba began starting matches together.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:

In all comps.

George graham was the high watermark of Arsenal defending
We conceded 10 in 8 in march 87( his first season)
5 in 5 Jan 89
4 in 3 March 89( title winning season)
5 in 5 Jan 92
6 in 5 March 92
7 in 7 March 93
5 in 4 Feb 94
6 in 4 Feb 95
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am

Emery needs to make a couple of shrewd signings in summer to push on from his good start.
A CB to partner Sokratis.
A CM to replace Ramsey.
A starting Winger.
A backup LB.
A backup Keeper.

Not easy on the budget he’s got unless he sells players like Xhaka and maybe even Auba.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:06 am

starmandb wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

In all comps.

George graham was the high watermark of Arsenal defending
We conceded 10 in 8 in march 87( his first season)
5 in 5 Jan 89
4 in 3 March 89( title winning season)
5 in 5 Jan 92
6 in 5 March 92
7 in 7 March 93
5 in 4 Feb 94
6 in 4 Feb 95

Excluding April which has shown much improved defensive stats if not improved defending, the goal a game ratio so far in 2019 is good for 38 goals conceded in a league season. Not great but it happened under Wenger during his peak brilliance about 4 times.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:20 pm

There is a reason why certain things are part of the unofficial rules of football and one game at a time, or never looking beyond the next match is one of them.

Rotating to rest players in anticipation of our following game against Wolves was wrong, for the simple reason that we lack the squad with which to be able to feasibly do that.

In my opinion at least, only City and Chelsea are properly equipped to do that to such an extent in being able to have and afford 2 bonafide first team players of competing ability for each position, as I don't think even Liverpool for as good as they are, could afford to swap out all their front 3 or be the same animal with both VVD & Joe Gomez missing at centre half.

Same as when you're playing, you never feel tired when you have the ball, but have to run without the ball for even half the distance or endurance and you find it absolutely knackering.

Whilst it may have been prudent to change one, maybe two players from our previous game and even then unlikely that both would be from the same position, wholesale changes were uncalled for.

Momentum had been built and we were winning games it had been klaxoned we were were more than likely to lose.

Yes, you might even be appreciative an interlull right now more than at any other time in the season, but at the same time you can now truly relate to former champions and winners of trophies when they say straight afterwards about just how hard it was to achieve and that they had to work, and dig deep and then deeper still because that is what winners do.

I may well be wrong and just remembering when real men played, but I think players would rather run themselves into the ground and risk injury even, in their bid to achieve at the business end of the season than take a breather and let someone else put in a shift for them.

To me, the trap was all the stats and quotes regards our home record being comparable to the best, how we were finally getting to grips with our ridiculous away hoodoo and the air of having dismissed Palace as a genuine threat regardless of their own good away form, and Emery fell into it head first.

When Stevie G famously said those words, I do not think for one moment that his sentiment was borne of arrogance.

How I see it is that yesterday, arrogance from the management, players and fans to whatever degree people will take ownership, was both foundation and cornerstone of that defeat and air of deflation as opposed to anything that Palace did to achieve it other than not look a gift horse in the mouth.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm

We need a result at Wolves as that’s the game I thought we could allow to drop points in

Lose that and it’s egg on the face
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Tbf, John Moss does his job and Mustafi doesn't shit the bed and no one complains about the rotation.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooney » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:28 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:There is a reason why certain things are part of the unofficial rules of football and one game at a time, or never looking beyond the next match is one of them.

Rotating to rest players in anticipation of our following game against Wolves was wrong, for the simple reason that we lack the squad with which to be able to feasibly do that.

In my opinion at least, only City and Chelsea are properly equipped to do that to such an extent in being able to have and afford 2 bonafide first team players of competing ability for each position, as I don't think even Liverpool for as good as they are, could afford to swap out all their front 3 or be the same animal with both VVD & Joe Gomez missing at centre half.

Same as when you're playing, you never feel tired when you have the ball, but have to run without the ball for even half the distance or endurance and you find it absolutely knackering.

Whilst it may have been prudent to change one, maybe two players from our previous game and even then unlikely that both would be from the same position, wholesale changes were uncalled for.

Momentum had been built and we were winning games it had been klaxoned we were were more than likely to lose.

Yes, you might even be appreciative an interlull right now more than at any other time in the season, but at the same time you can now truly relate to former champions and winners of trophies when they say straight afterwards about just how hard it was to achieve and that they had to work, and dig deep and then deeper still because that is what winners do.

I may well be wrong and just remembering when real men played, but I think players would rather run themselves into the ground and risk injury even, in their bid to achieve at the business end of the season than take a breather and let someone else put in a shift for them.

To me, the trap was all the stats and quotes regards our home record being comparable to the best, how we were finally getting to grips with our ridiculous away hoodoo and the air of having dismissed Palace as a genuine threat regardless of their own good away form, and Emery fell into it head first.

When Stevie G famously said those words, I do not think for one moment that his sentiment was borne of arrogance.

How I see it is that yesterday, arrogance from the management, players and fans to whatever degree people will take ownership, was both foundation and cornerstone of that defeat and air of deflation as opposed to anything that Palace did to achieve it other than not look a gift horse in the mouth.

He made the mistake wenher consistently made last few years. 2 close matches. Rotate for the easier one and fail to wim and enter the harder one with a lot more pressure. His focus shoupd have been all on palace. Win that match and you have nothing to lose vs wolves. Now he put his players in pressured situation and they suck at this. He will get 2 losses instead
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ag6789 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Looks like we will have nine lives this season, as both ManU and Chelsea are s___t. But, our league form lately have been rubbish.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Pudpop wrote:Tbf, John Moss does his job and Mustafi doesn't shit the bed and no one complains about the rotation.

And if the queen had balls, she'd be king.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby starmandb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:54 pm

ag6789 wrote:Looks like we will have nine lives this season, as both ManU and Chelsea are s___t. But, our league form lately have been rubbish.

In better form than Chelsea man Utd and Spurs
starmandb

Postby gooney » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:05 pm

starmandb wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Looks like we will have nine lives this season, as both ManU and Chelsea are s___t. But, our league form lately have been rubbish.

In better form than Chelsea man Utd and Spurs

If chelsea beat man u nex week we are done. They will go 3 points clear of us tonight with 1 game more. We simply has to win atleast 3 game and maybe even 4 depending on what they do at old trafford
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 pm

All I know is whether we fk up or win the EL or get top 4, we're not going any further if Kroenke doesn't fund us to bolster the team.

We are being undone at the crucial stage for one main reason, we have no competent 2nd string players i.e we don't have a squad, we have our first 11 and maybe 2 or 3 players and that's it.

Our 2nd string can't even get a draw against Everton or Crystal Palace ........... so what are they doing for us exactly? water carriers at best.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 pm

LMAO wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Tbf, John Moss does his job and Mustafi doesn't shit the bed and no one complains about the rotation.

And if the queen had balls, she'd be king.

of bangkok

;-)
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football