Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery confirmed as Arsenal manager

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:27 pm

gooney wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
gooney wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Nuggets wrote:This forum has some amazing soothsayer's posting in here, lol we haven't kicked a ball in the prem yet and the doom merchants are out predicting doom, they take trolling to another level lol
Also, I was yawning because 1. Emery doesn't sign the players and 2. We've bought 2 CBs this year.

Gooney's post is just pointless negativity, like all of his posts.

We bought 2 CB? My point is if you concede 51 goals and you buy a defender who is worse than the ones you have. How do you improve? LLogically we have kos out and soka in from last defense? I am saying on paper I dont think we have improved from where we were. deep down you agree with me as no one has given me a logical explanation why we will finish above 6th? So you resort to shooting the messanger

.......... regardless Pudop's point and I agree is that you're laying that blame at Emery's door when he doesn't buy the players.

The blame for that is the board, I believe they have told Gazidis to hold off spending big until Emery has proven himself, we also spent higher than usual in January.

Tbf we can't even blame Misinslat, to do what he's done on a £50m budget is actually fkin remarkable.

Guendouzi for £8m yet he plays like a £30m player
Litsch for free
Torriea for £26m yet again he plays like a £40m player
Sokratis is currently meh but we'll see how he gets on
Mhkitarayan was a swap for a player basically out of contract so we got a newly minted contract player for free
Aubamaeyang for £60m when he plays like an £80m player at least

I understand your frustration about the defense but you can't blame Misinslat, in fact looking at the above he's done wonders and you literally can't blame Emery because all he does is coach the team as Gazidis loves to remind us.

Our new guys are doing fkin well, I'd love to see another club do as well with a shoe string budget.

so you telling me he has no say in players coming in? If he says I need a wide forward or a CB, they say no? And how can dozzy play like 30 million pound player when he hasnt played 1 competitive match for us? Or Torreira who has not had even 1 friendly? I dont like the Sokratis buy at all.....this guy struggled in Dortmund lately and was their Mustafi and if Emery watched us and saw how bad we were at set pieces, why couldnt he ask for a CB who is good in the air? He bought a CB thats smaller than ours and a DM who is smaller than all of our players.

Torriea has just come out of a World cup ffs, don't act like we don't know how he plays, Guendouzi fair enough is yet to be seen but he definitely plays at a higher level than £8m and I have no reason to suspect his level will drop in league games.

For e.g people are saying he should bench Xhaka ......... how much did we pay for Xhaka? case closed.

Oh and to your first point, yes he does not decide anything when buying players, he can submit a request to Misinslat i.e "I could use a CB can we see if we can bring one in" but A) Misinslat doesn't have to fulfill that request and B) As I mentioned its a bit difficult for Misinslat to approve buying a new CB when we have fk all budget left.

If Misinslat isn't given the money how can he buy a CB and balance the books?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm

"DM who is smaller than all of our players."

utter bollox. cos dude is fierce.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gooney » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Xhaka is a flop. If we are saying someone of xhakas ability is 35 million player. We gonna have to spend hundreds of millions on players
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:39 pm

gooney wrote:by not buying a good CB for a team that conceded over 50 goals in the league he wont make top 4. We conceded more than 20 goals than city and united. Anyone who think organisation alone can close that gap is an idiot. He bought keeper and DM, but he needed a CB and a wide forward desperately. I think if he makes 6th and get more points than wengers last season he has done well

Double YAWN !!!

If thats the case how comes managers like Allardyce and Mark Hughes can go to clubs shipping goals galore and steady the ship often resulting in the team not being relegated - and they don't bring in any players to do so !

Its ALL about organisation. These players are not idiots, they didn't get where they are now by being shit either.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:03 pm

gooney wrote:Xhaka is a flop. If we are saying someone of xhakas ability is 35 million player. We gonna have to spend hundreds of millions on players

Irrelevant, that's what we paid for him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby weaponx57 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 am

I feel sorry for Emery....he's gonna become another manager screwed by the board and he will be expected to take the blame.

Despite our transfer dealings this summer....the fact that we don't have a world class CB or Winger is gonna bite us in the ass hard.
weaponx57
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby LMAO » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:05 am

gooney wrote:Xhaka is a flop. If we are saying someone of xhakas ability is 35 million player. We gonna have to spend hundreds of millions on players

Andy Carroll was 35m. Salah was 37m (could raise to 44.5m).

Xhaka is still at the fork in the road.

Calma.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:55 pm

weaponx57 wrote:I feel sorry for Emery....he's gonna become another manager screwed by the board and he will be expected to take the blame.

Despite our transfer dealings this summer....the fact that we don't have a world class CB or Winger is gonna bite us in the ass hard.

No I'm not so sure, the entire fan base can see he's not been given CB's to work with, if we're shipping goals with an orderly defense then we'll know who to blame and it won't be Emery.

Also Emery won't put up with it, he'll leave if results are not coming due to under funding, this is not Arsene Wenger who decides when he goes, if results fail everyone will be outed and currently Emery is doing his bit, we all know the board have not regarding the defense.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Both sides know what they signed up for. Emery knows finances are tight but he still has the spine of a good team, especially up top.

The club knows Emery's teams aren't that solid defensively, and should have done better than bring in Sokratis, who looks past it. Lichsteiner is talented but clearly a backup for Bellerin, who has stagnated.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:56 pm

I have seen players finding a new lease of life under new managers. Who knows Xhaka will find an extra gear under Emery. for me it is a clean slate as far as judging a particular player from here on in. Nobody knows Emery's first choice lineup for his first ever PL game. If Wenger got away with a decade of under performing i hope the naysayers will give Emery at least a full season before judging him. We need stability and Emery needs time to bed in to the premier league.

I expect Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Auba to start as the front three in a 4-3-3 with Xhaka, Ramsey and Torreira in the midfield, but then again i am guessing cos it's impossible to predict accurately which way Emery will go. Expect Sokratis and Mustafi in the center of defence with Nacho on the left and Bellerin on the right. I expect Bernd Leno to get the nod between the sticks.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby BouncySean » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:I have seen players finding a new lease of life under new managers. Who knows Xhaka will find an extra gear under Emery. for me it is a clean slate as far as judging a particular player from here on in. Nobody knows Emery's first choice lineup for his first ever PL game. If Wenger got away with a decade of under performing i hope the naysayers will give Emery at least a full season before judging him. We need stability and Emery needs time to bed in to the premier league.

I expect Mkhitaryan, Ozil and Auba to start as the front three in a 4-3-3 with Xhaka, Ramsey and Torreira in the midfield, but then again i am guessing cos it's impossible to predict accurately which way Emery will go. Expect Sokratis and Mustafi in the center of defence with Nacho on the left and Bellerin on the right. I expect Bernd Leno to get the nod between the sticks.

Id probably more expect to see Maitland Niles at LB due to Nachos injury. The rest of the team though I do think is spot on.
BouncySean
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:11 pm

BouncySean wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:I have seen players finding a new lease of life under new managers. Who knows Xhaka will find an extra gear under Emery. for me it is a clean slate as far as judging a particular player from here on in. Nobody knows Emery's first choice lineup for his first ever PL game. If Wenger got away with a decade of under performing i hope the naysayers will give Emery at least a full season before judging him. We need stability and Emery needs time to bed in to the premier league.

Id probably more expect to see Maitland Niles at LB due to Nachos injury. The rest of the team though I do think is spot on.

yeah Nacho has a knee injury but i was expecting him to get fit. If not Maitland Niles as you say.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Guy is a prat. Get him out !
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby island_gunner » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I been saying all summer how much I enjoy these vids, this one was good to watch also because the guys really seem to be enjoying training but honestly with the awful truth that we need a couple more signings (after clearing deadwood)
Seeing Welbeck and Jenkinson still around did annoy me smh

island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:51 pm

At the start of the transfer window I really though Emrey was doing well getting the defensive signings we need in and early but now I'm not so sure especially considering that the transfer window is closing in less than 2 days.

The fact that we are being linked to Vida and Rodriguez is worrying we already have too many old declining central defenders in Sokratis and Kos we don't need to add another to the mix, I'm hoping that the plan is to buy a top quality defender and play him alongside Mustafi who wasn't the best last season but he showed potential in his first season so he deserves another shot IMO.

Loaning Chambers was also and awful decision considering that on current form he was probably our best CB and he's more experienced than Holding/Mavropanos who are the ones in need of a loan.

We still need a winger and bad playing our best CF (PEA) outside because he's fast is criminal our other options Mkhi, Perez, Welbeck, Iwobi, Nelson aren't really natural wingers/average/inexperienced. We could have easily signed any of Malcom, Martins or Shaqiri had we gone in for them early enough before other clubs showed interest.

Also we need a top quality CM who can dictate the tempo it's one of the reason we've been so poor since Caz got injured and Xhaka has failed to play that role.

Why are Ospina, Jenkinson, Perez, Campbell still on the books considering none of them will feature and if they do it won't be for more than 5 games at best where we could just use a youth player instead, I even rate some of them like Martinez but the fact that he's like 1 year younger than Leno and fourth choice says it all really no point in him being here and Perez is a good backup player but for some reason Emery doesn't seem to be fan like Wenger so he may as well go too.

Anyways this window is looking like a 5.5/10 so far IMO and obviously emery needs time as he can't build his own squad in one window but I feel like it could have been better considering some of the bargains available but anyway only time will tell I guess.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football