Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby gooney » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Jedi wrote:
gooney wrote:us and chelsea have bad managers. chelsea fans want their manager out and find what he has done unacceptable. Emery who has performed worse....our fans are not too down. It shows which club thinks big and which club thinks small

Yes and if i was a Newcastle fan i wouldn't want Rafa out for being 1 point above relegation, because that's their level currently and i don't believe many managers could improve on that.

Similarly, i don't think 1 point behind top 4 with the level of players we have is a bad achievement. Chelsea, on the other hand, should be doing better. Sarri should definitely be doing better with the players he has but i don't think even he deserves to be sacked yet.

you used newcastle as an example to defend emery....always come up with the worst example.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:54 pm

gooney wrote:
Jedi wrote:
gooney wrote:us and chelsea have bad managers. chelsea fans want their manager out and find what he has done unacceptable. Emery who has performed worse....our fans are not too down. It shows which club thinks big and which club thinks small

Yes and if i was a Newcastle fan i wouldn't want Rafa out for being 1 point above relegation, because that's their level currently and i don't believe many managers could improve on that.

Similarly, i don't think 1 point behind top 4 with the level of players we have is a bad achievement. Chelsea, on the other hand, should be doing better. Sarri should definitely be doing better with the players he has but i don't think even he deserves to be sacked yet.

you used newcastle as an example to defend emery....always come up with the worst example.

Ok, i don't criticize Poch that his team isn't competing for the title because top 4 is their level at the moment and anything higher would be unrealistic with that squad.

What f***ing difference does the above example make? I didn't compare Arsenal to Newcastle, i simply stated Chelsea and Arsenal squads aren't on the same level so it's unfair to have the same expectations of Sarri and Emery, as would be unfair in a more extreme example with Rafa.

You completely missed the point. You have horrible comprehension skills.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby swipe right » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:56 pm

Jedi wrote:
gooney wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Ok, i don't criticize Poch that his team isn't competing for the title because top 4 is their level at the moment and anything higher would be unrealistic with that squad.

What f***ing difference does the above example make? I didn't compare Arsenal to Newcastle, i simply stated Chelsea and Arsenal squads aren't on the same level so it's unfair to have the same expectations of Sarri and Emery, as would be unfair in a more extreme example with Rafa.

Sarri has had Giroud and Morata as his center forwards until last month. Compared to Auba and Laca.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Arsenal’s and Chelsea’s squad are pretty similar calibre

Kepa > Leno
Azpi (as RB) = Bellerin
Rudiger > Mustafi
Luiz < Sokratis
Alonso < Monreal
Jorginho < Torreira
Kante > Xhaka
Kovacic = Guendouzi
Pedro < Auba
Higuain < Laca
Hazard > Iwobi

Caballero = Cech
Emerson = Kolasinac
Christensen = Koscielny
Zappacosta = AMN
Barkley < Ramsey
Willian < Ozil
Giroud > Eddie/Welbz

Dunno who else is missing from Chelsea bar CHO, Loftus-Cheek, Ampadu and Cahill. I’ve left out Holding, Jenks, Lichtsteiner, Mavropanos, Micki and Denis Suarez
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm

swipe right wrote:
Jedi wrote:
gooney wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Sarri has had Giroud and Morata as his center forwards until last month. Compared to Auba and Laca.

We have better center forwards so i guess that negates the rest of the team and the fact that they have 2 out of the top 10 best players in the world in Hazard and Kante.

GK: Kepa > Leno
RB: Azpilicueta > Bellerin >>>>>>>>>>> Maitland who we are forced to play for the rest of the season
CB: Rudiger ≥ Sokratis
CB: David Luiz > Koscielny >> Mustafi
LB: He's been shit under Sarri but Alonso over Kolasinac/Monreal every day of the week.

CMs: Kante >>>>>>>>>>> Torreira/Guendouzi/Kovacic/Xhaka > Jorginho > Ruben Loftus-Cheek > Elneny

I don't know how to do the offensive players because they're all deployed in 5 different positions. What's clear is that Hazard is clearly one of the best in the world and they also have a decent amount of firepower in Barkley, Willian, Pedro, Morata, Giroud. Their strikers are crap but better wingers more than make up for it imho. I'd say we definitely have better offensive players but even if we count Ozil and Ramsey i still think It's very obvious Chelsea is the better team here.

EDIT:
Sims wrote:Arsenal’s and Chelsea’s squad are pretty similar calibre

Kepa > Leno
Azpi (as RB) = Bellerin
Rudiger > Mustafi
Luiz < Sokratis
Alonso < Monreal
Jorginho < Torreira
Kante > Xhaka
Kovacic = Guendouzi
Pedro < Auba
Higuain < Laca
Hazard > Iwobi

Caballero = Cech
Emerson = Kolasinac
Christensen = Koscielny
Zappacosta = AMN
Barkley < Ramsey
Willian < Ozil
Giroud > Eddie/Welbz

Dunno who else is missing from Chelsea bar CHO, Loftus-Cheek, Ampadu and Cahill. I’ve left out Holding, Jenks, Lichtsteiner, Mavropanos, Micki and Denis Suarez

Didn't even notice this post but ended up doing the same type of comparison. The issue i have with yours is that depending on who you put up against who you get different results. For example, i agree Sokratis but if we put him up against David Luiz but if we put Luiz up against Mustafi i think he's better.

Also, Laca being a slightly better player (which is very, very debatable btw) isn't the same as Hazard > Iwobi. I would argue Hazard is so much better than Iwobi that he alone makes Hazard - Higuain - Pedro/Willian more powerful than Iwobi - Auba - Laca.

Basically, the shear quality of Kante and Hazard elevate them above us.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby swipe right » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Without CFs a team is nothing. And Chelsea have wanks CFs. Even Higuain is passed it.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:26 pm

swipe right wrote:Without CFs a team is nothing. And Chelsea have wanks CFs. Even Higuain is passed it.
He's only 18 months older than Auba
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:
swipe right wrote:Without CFs a team is nothing. And Chelsea have wanks CFs. Even Higuain is passed it.
He's only 18 months older than Auba

About 18 stone heavier too
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm

15/16 we had Giroud and Welbeck as CFs we finished second in the league

17/18 we bought Lacazette in the summer and then Aubameyang in January and we finished 6th in the league
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Jedi wrote:

17/18 we bought Lacazette in the summer and then Aubameyang in January and we finished 6th in the league

You know this isn't a fair comparison and sort of spin-doctoring.

15/16 ~ 71 pts. and 2nd.
16/17 ~ 75 pts. and 5th.

Over to you.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:

15/16 ~ 71 pts. and 2nd.
16/17 ~ 75 pts. and 5th.

Over to you.

Tbf, no i didn't know lol :hiding:

I had no clue what the point totals were.

I will accept defeat on this point,

however,

all you have to do is look at the top of the league and see that you don't need a real CF (talking about Liverpool ofc)
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Jedi wrote:

Newcastle are over achieving with the squad they have, Rafa is working miracles with them. I don't think emery is over achieving with Emery, he is matching the job a shot Wenger managed.

If we saw a game plan or an improvement in an area of the game most of us speaking out against what Emery is doing would most likely accept it as a transition period - which we all know it is, but we cannot accept the dip in the quality of football being played - considering last season was the worst we ever saw under Wenger.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Jedi wrote:

15/16 ~ 71 pts. and 2nd.
16/17 ~ 75 pts. and 5th.

Over to you.

Tbf, no i didn't know lol :hiding:

I had no clue what the point totals were.

I will accept defeat on this point,

however,

all you have to do is look at the top of the league and see that you don't need a real CF (talking about Liverpool ofc)

Okay. :hiding:

Liverpool have a fatal front three though. It's really difficult to succeed in the Prem without world class strikers. ManU were experts in hoarding forwards and wingers. You can't do well in the Prem without pace and a devastating frontline.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:59 pm

Yup - and they did the same with Suarez, they had Suarez and Sterling/Sturridge/Coutinho terrifying teams with their pace and movement
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:43 am

He's still talking about benching Ozil..

The butt-hurt is real.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football