Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:49 am

Even if Emery won every game some posters on here would still moan, FFS he has only been our manager for a short while give him a chance, with the shit he was left by Wonga he is doing a good job so far.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 am

Dear god this anti-criticise crowd are doing my head in, offering f**k all apart from 'he's not been here long'.

If you don't like the comments about Emery then ignore them or debate them but he has certainly made some weird moves already which can be called out.

Can't even be arsed anymore, it's worse than the wenger battle on here now.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:35 am

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:@DG - Both you and Zedie are completely wrong and especially about the 2015/16 season. I'll tell you why and would love to hear a response after.

Klopp only took charge of Liverpool on the 8th October for his first season! Brendan Rodgers started the 2015/16 season. It wasn't Klopp's decision to sign Benteke, Danny Ings or any of the players that Summer. He had to work with what was given when he arrived with no time to prepare. So that's the first.

Second. Liverpool finished 8th. That's correct. But as said, Klopp took over on the 8th October and Liverpool had already dropped 12 points before he arrived. They finished on 60 points that year to finish 8th. But Man City and Man Utd finished on 66 points to finish 4th and 5th in the league. So considering they had already dropped 12 points, a better start to the season could have landed them in a CL league or even above us that year. We'll never know. We finished on 71 points to get 2nd place.

All the above is why this 'Klopp finished 8th in his first season' is a bad comparison. It's no comparison to Emery's arrival at Arsenal.

Ok
How about after 4 transfer windows ?
Klopp, s Liverpool 17/18 30 games into season
Won 16 drew 11 lost 3
After 1 transfer window
Emerys Arsenal 18/19 30 games into season
Won 19 drew 6 lost 5

Wouldn’t it make sense to do that sort of comparison after Emery has had 4 transfer windows with us? In fact, why take a snapshot look and compare after 30 games when the season isn’t even over? It’s pointless.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41 am

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:@DG - Both you and Zedie are completely wrong and especially about the 2015/16 season. I'll tell you why and would love to hear a response after.

Klopp only took charge of Liverpool on the 8th October for his first season! Brendan Rodgers started the 2015/16 season. It wasn't Klopp's decision to sign Benteke, Danny Ings or any of the players that Summer. He had to work with what was given when he arrived with no time to prepare. So that's the first.

Second. Liverpool finished 8th. That's correct. But as said, Klopp took over on the 8th October and Liverpool had already dropped 12 points before he arrived. They finished on 60 points that year to finish 8th. But Man City and Man Utd finished on 66 points to finish 4th and 5th in the league. So considering they had already dropped 12 points, a better start to the season could have landed them in a CL league or even above us that year. We'll never know. We finished on 71 points to get 2nd place

All the above is why this 'Klopp finished 8th in his first season' is a bad comparison. It's no comparison to Emery's arrival at Arsenal.

Ok
Won 16 drew 11 lost 3
After 1 transfer window
Won 19 drew 6 lost 5

Wouldn’t it make sense to do that sort of comparison after Emery has had 4 transfer windows with us? In fact, why take a snapshot look and compare after 30 games when the season isn’t even over? It’s pointless.

In that case then wouldn't it be better to keep your own counsel and getting four square behind a manager 5 months into his job rather than bumming up someone else's manager who had a worse record 2 years and 3 months into his ?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 am

Nuggets wrote:Even if Emery won every game some posters on here would still moan, FFS he has only been our manager for a short while give him a chance, with the shit he was left by Wonga he is doing a good job so far.

Some posters may moan all the time but that’s not me. Was listening to the Arsenal Vision Podcast the other day and the host started off by saying that we should be able to simultaneously support the manager, believe he needs time whilst also being able discuss the concerns you have about his management style and the negative parts. This doesn’t mean I want him sacked.

My main concern is that I think he’s going to need spend a lot of money to sort this team out and I highly doubt he’ll get it from the Board. Kroenke being tight is one aspect but I also think Emery sold them on being able to get more from this current crop of players. If there was an overall strategy in place when he was appointed, I don’t think they’ll abandon that plan so easily. Emery is on a short contract.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 am

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Second. Liverpool finished 8th. That's correct. But as said, Klopp took over on the 8th October and Liverpool had already dropped 12 points before he arrived. They finished on 60 points that year to finish 8th. But Man City and Man Utd finished on 66 points to finish 4th and 5th in the league. So considering they had already dropped 12 points, a better start to the season could have landed them in a CL league or even above us that year. We'll never know. We finished on 71 points to get 2nd place

Ok
Won 16 drew 11 lost 3
After 1 transfer window
Won 19 drew 6 lost 5

In that case then wouldn't it be better to keep your own counsel and getting four square behind a manager 5 months into his job rather than bumming up someone else's manager who had a worse record 2 years and 3 months into his ?

Kinda of defeats the purpose of forum, mate. Get a hold of your emotions.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Even if Emery won every game some posters on here would still moan, FFS he has only been our manager for a short while give him a chance, with the shit he was left by Wonga he is doing a good job so far.

Some posters may moan all the time but that’s not me. Was listening to the Arsenal Vision Podcast the other day and the host started off by saying that we should be able to simultaneously support the manager, believe he needs time whilst also being able discuss the concerns you have about his management style and the negative parts. This doesn’t mean I want him sacked.

My main concern is that I think he’s going to need spend a lot of money to sort this team out and I highly doubt he’ll get it from the Board. Kroenke being tight is one aspect but I also think Emery sold them on being able to get more from this current crop of players. If there was an overall strategy in place when he was appointed, I don’t think they’ll abandon that plan so easily. Emery is on a short contract.

I agree with that
Of coarse you can criticise if you believe something is wrong
I rather take the view that there are enough people doing that on social media platforms regarding all form of entertainment
In fact all forms of life
So if I believe that if I can flag up something that shows Arsenal in a favourable light then I will do that
Being an Arsenal supporter and that
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:07 am

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I agree with that
Of coarse you can criticise if you believe something is wrong
I rather take the view that there are enough people doing that on social media platforms regarding all form of entertainment
In fact all forms of life
So if I believe that if I can flag up something that shows Arsenal in a favourable light then I will do that
Being an Arsenal supporter and that

We’re all Arsenal supporters in here. Social media can be negative and it often gets nasty but that’s because people in general can’t respect when someone else has a different opinion and start hurling insults.

We’re all not going to agree on all the details but we all are going to agree on wanting to see Arsenal win titles. Anyone talking about unity should start to look there first.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 am

Second. Liverpool finished 8th. That's correct. But as said, Klopp took over on the 8th October and Liverpool had already dropped 12 points before he arrived. They finished on 60 points that year to finish 8th. But Man City and Man Utd finished on 66 points to finish 4th and 5th in the league. So considering they had already dropped 12 points, a better start to the season could have landed them in a CL league or even above us that year. We'll never know. We finished on 71 points to get 2nd place.

:clap: :clap:

Common sense prevails. You could see the improvement in Liverpool by Christmas too.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:19 am

DG especially is acting like a princess !

I totally agree, those calling for the new man to be replaced are being planks. But there is nothing wrong with criticising emery's bad decisions which is what the majority of criticism is. The dicks that are pro Wenger to the grave stand out a mile away and should not be included with or compared to genuine Arsenal fans alarmed by some of Emery's decisions. I like Emery, I'm glad we got him. I'm not going to ignore his faults/mistakes though, this is not a bloody cult.

If you snowflakes can't handle criticism of Emery then you better learn to suck salt, because he WILL be criticised when he makes mistakes, standard.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:46 am

2016 - 2017 Liverpool finished 4th in Klopps 2nd season with his signings.

............... Emery has been here for 6 months and we're 5th.

You are being buried alive by the facts, its not pretty tbh.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:54 am

On an entirely different topic, I watched the Man City/Liverpool game last night, 2 top teams going at it, it was a pleasure to watch. But what stood out the most for me was when Liverpool decided to turn up the heat on City, they were incredible. I have heard so many times on this forum that Arsenal can't compete, Arsenal can't buy big name players, Arsenal can't do this and that and also that Emery's hands are tied. Thats absolute bollox if you ask me ! Look at the starting 11 for Liverpool:

Alisson - €62.5m
Alexander Arnold - Free
Lovren - €25.3m
Van Dijk - €78.8m
Robertson - €9m
Wijnaldum - €27.5m
Henderson - €18m
Milner - Free
Salah - €42m
Firmino - €41m
Mane - €41.2m
Team Total - €345.3m

Now look at Arsenal's starting lineup vs Fulham:

Leno - €25m
Mustafi - €41m
Sokratis - €16m
Koscielny - €12.5m
Maitland Niles - Free
Guendouzi - €8m
Xhaka - €45m
Kolasinac - Free
Iwobi - Free
Aubameyang - €63.7m
Lacazette - €53m
Team Total - €264.2m

Now consider that is Liverpool's full strength team and ours doesn't include Ozil (€47m) and Torreira (€30m), our team would cost €333.2 (removing Iwobi and Guendouzi) thats a €12m difference !!! So why are they so much better than us ? Individually they have 4 stand out players to me, their keeper, CB and 2 strikers. Inc Torreira and Ozil we have 4 stand out players too(with Laca and Auba). Well stating the obvious, Emery has been with us for 5 or so months. Other differences, they play much better as a team, Klopp has got them playing either to their strengths or playing tactics/formations that suit the players. It would be remiss of me to not add a third option, that their players adapted to Klopp's changes well.

I see no reason why Arsenal cannot do the same with the players that we have. To get to their level will take some time but I do not buy the "we cannot compete" argument, we should be seeing steady improvement and a focus on team improvement which absolutely must start with our atrocious defending as a team.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 am

Lol Man City v Liverpool was devoid of any quality and just showed where football in this country is at quality wise compared to 15 years ago when the top 2 teams went at it (us and mancs). This was powderpuff in comparison

Football atm is the worst it's been for many a year. All down to money and last nights match was the perfect example of mercenaries going at it so I wouldn't hold that up as a shining beacon.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

2016 - 2017 Liverpool finished 4th in Klopps 2nd season with his signings.

............... Emery has been here for 6 months and we're 5th.

You are being buried alive by the facts, its not pretty tbh.

You got me! The season ends on 4th January and we’ve finished 5th! I can’t argue with that. Well played.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:On an entirely different topic, I watched the Man City/Liverpool game last night, 2 top teams going at it, it was a pleasure to watch. But what stood out the most for me was when Liverpool decided to turn up the heat on City, they were incredible. I have heard so many times on this forum that Arsenal can't compete, Arsenal can't buy big name players, Arsenal can't do this and that and also that Emery's hands are tied. Thats absolute bollox if you ask me ! Look at the starting 11 for Liverpool:

Alisson - €62.5m
Alexander Arnold - Free
Lovren - €25.3m
Van Dijk - €78.8m
Robertson - €9m
Wijnaldum - €27.5m
Henderson - €18m
Milner - Free
Salah - €42m
Firmino - €41m
Mane - €41.2m
Team Total - €345.3m

Now look at Arsenal's starting lineup vs Fulham:

Leno - €25m
Mustafi - €41m
Sokratis - €16m
Koscielny - €12.5m
Maitland Niles - Free
Guendouzi - €8m
Xhaka - €45m
Kolasinac - Free
Iwobi - Free
Aubameyang - €63.7m
Lacazette - €53m
Team Total - €264.2m

Now consider that is Liverpool's full strength team and ours doesn't include Ozil (€47m) and Torreira (€30m), our team would cost €333.2 (removing Iwobi and Guendouzi) thats a €12m difference !!! So why are they so much better than us ? Individually they have 4 stand out players to me, their keeper, CB and 2 strikers. Inc Torreira and Ozil we have 4 stand out players too(with Laca and Auba). Well stating the obvious, Emery has been with us for 5 or so months. Other differences, they play much better as a team, Klopp has got them playing either to their strengths or playing tactics/formations that suit the players. It would be remiss of me to not add a third option, that their players adapted to Klopp's changes well.

I see no reason why Arsenal cannot do the same with the players that we have. To get to their level will take some time but I do not buy the "we cannot compete" argument, we should be seeing steady improvement and a focus on team improvement which absolutely must start with our atrocious defending as a team.

Agree with a lot of that. What’s the total for that Spurs team? They can’t have spent that much on their team.

I fear we’re repeating some of the same arguments years back. Wenger vs the Board again. The Board will need to back Emeryon transfer but in turn, Emery will have to show that he knows what he is doing before being trusted with money. We’ve seen the mess we’ve been left with in Wenger’s final years despite spending a lot of money on players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Auba, Laca, Ozil…..

Leaving those Wenger years aside because it’s a sensitive subject, I’ll use Mourinho as an example instead. After the amount of money spent on Pogba, Mkhitryan, Lukaku Sanchez and co….he’s complaining about how much his rivals spend despite some really poor results for Utd. The Board would be mad to trust him with any more money because he’s failed to produce results with what he’s already been given. Miserably.

That’s why I’m a bit conflicted when it comes to this topic. Unless you have a proven track record, I wouldn’t be so quick to hand over the credit card.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football